Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Charger R/T STP - Billet Silver - Dynomax 39518 Catback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month and a half of owning my 2011 R/T, I’ve had enough of how quiet the stock exhaust is, I mean I did from day one but yeah.

What I’m looking for may sound strange for some of you owners of the newer generation out there that think even they are still too quiet from the factory, but I ideally want an exhaust with similar loudness to the active exhaust that the newer Hemis have. My brother has a Daytona and I really like the volume of it, just loud enough to feel it in your butt, but not crazy loud. I know I’m obviously going to get the advantages of having an active exhaust and I couldn’t be bothered to put a cutout or anything for the sort if I am doing exhaust. I don’t want to break the bank because just buying the car itself nearly made me go broke, so in other words, simple chop and weld mod onto stock pipe.

Where I get confused is that this is not my first car car, but the first one worthy of being modded, so I don’t have any experience of what doing an exhaust is like or how much difference say swapping out mid mufflers for something like the usual CB Vortex or Flowmasters vs just deleting the muffler and also what difference deleting the resonators on top of that does. My guess is that basically no matter what I do it’s not going to make much noise unless I do a res delete or replace them with something but then some people say don’t dare do that because of drone so spend $1000s to do it right.

Basically what’s the best I can do to get the closest to the sound I want? And I do drive on salted roads in the winter.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If you do NOT like excessive drone, DO NOT delete the resonators in the back on your 2011 RT. Start with the mid-muffler delete and go from there. Lots of folks just do the mid delete and are happy with the sound (Keeping the resonators)

Reactions: Silberwing

·
Registered
815 Posts
First, WELCOME to the forum! For loads of info on exhaust (or any other questions Charger related) use the search function at the top of the page. If your stock exhaust looks like this one, just change the mufflers for a more aggressive pair of aftermarket turbo-style mufflers. And as stated above, LEAVE THE REAR RESONATORS IN PLACE!
Tool Wood Gas Auto part Machine

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 11 also, i did the mid delete and it improved the volume of the exhaust but i find it a bit raspy when you get on the pedal, as stated above i left the resonators on, but even then you get drone when in 4 banger mode, so i got a diablo and turned MDS off and bam no more drone at all, i hear replacing the mids with dynomax mini race bullits are one of the cheapest/best sounds for the $$$$$

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off thanks for the replies.

My hesitation in the mid muffler delete is that when I’ve looked up videos (kinda useless) for it or looked elsewhere on the internet people say it does sound better but then half of them say still too quiet. How would a mid muffler delete only compare to my benchmark of the active exhaust on the newer Chargers?

Then of course there is going with an aftemarket part like those dynomax bullits or flowmaster super10 like so many do, but if all else is left the same wouldn’t just not having mid mufflers still be louder? What about changing the resonators? There seems to be less talk about doing that vs just playing with different mufflers.

The tricky part is some people think the factory exhaust on the newest ones is too quiet and I can’t tell if those are the same kind of people that would complain that a mid delete on the older exhaust is too quiet or it actually is quieter to the point where I feel like I’d waste time and money trying it only to do more work on it again. I don’t want the “I straightpiped my slow Ram 1500 to pretend it’s fast” loud, but I want it to clear I have a V8.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Have you tried to find a later Charger stock take-off exhaust for sale that has the active exhaust valves? A lot of RT and Scat Pack owners change to aftermarket cat-backs and list the stock setup for sale. You could either wire the valves to a toggle switch, or cut them out and replace with a short section of pipe. The RT and Scat Pack Chargers use the same factory system, same size.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I did the muffler delete on my Charger first. I felt the tone inside was perfect and not loud. Outside was a lot more quieter than I thought. So really I liked it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You've got a lot of options.

The Solo Mach XL catback is popular because it uses proprietary, adjustable J-pipes to eliminate drone. Other catbacks often use a second set of mufflers or a pair of resonators, but as a result, they're typically quieter. Some don't, and they tend to drone, sometimes badly (I'm looking at you, American Thunder).

Muffler deletes are pretty common, although some owners claim that they experience a loss of low-end power due to "reduced backpressure". That's nonsense, but when you change or eliminate components that far forward in your system where the gases are still very hot, you can alter your exhaust velocity and shift your powerband a bit. So you might lose a little off the line, and pick it up on the upper end.

Personally I think these cars are way too porky to chance giving up any low-end grunt at all, but that's just me. Plenty of members here run a muffler delete and are happy with it. If you decide to go that route, I've got one piece of advice: Don't let some exhaust shop hack up your stainless factory exhaust and weld in some shiatty mild steel pipe that will start rusting on the drive home.

If they don't have stainless pipe (they almost certainly won't) you can buy a couple of 4' lengths of T409 online or at a speed shop.

Another idea is to modify your resonators for a little more sound. That won't give you a "sharp" sound like a muffler delete, it's more soft-edged. It's pretty close to the note of my '07 Daytona, with the factory low-restriction exhaust...to my ears, it sounds like what our factory exhaust should sound like, just enough rumble that you know it's a Hemi.

What I like about that mod is that it costs almost nothing, it's easy to do without compromising the integrity of the OEM exhaust, it looks 100% stock so you'll never fail any kind of inspection, and it's far back where the gases are cooler and slower, so it shouldn't have any effect on your powerband.

You could also check Craigslist for a take-off 2.75" SRT exhaust with round mufflers and resonators, that should give you a modest improvement in sound.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There was a pair of low-mileage take-off factory scat pack mufflers for sale over on the Challenger side of the Z at a really great price. They were listed a couple of months ago, might still be available. I believe they are in the Orlando, Fl. area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically cat back would be out of the question as I practically don’t make money anymore. I called a local shop to see how much a mid delete would run me and they said $300-400 which sounds exorbitant for what it is. They guy said is a bit of work to do which is odd considering how easy everyone says it is. I have to see if anyone else would do it for cheaper.

I have seen the delete kits for sale, but doesn’t that just make the cost that much more just to remove a part? If going and having it done without a kit is bad, but on the other hand doing it with a kit costs more than I can afford, is then the best option to get the pipe and just take it to a shop with the pipe?

Honestly at this point I feel like I’d be best off just doing a delete and living with it until maybe one day I can afford a cat back or a newer Charger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a pair of low-mileage take-off factory scat pack mufflers for sale over on the Challenger side of the Z at a really great price. They were listed a couple of months ago, might still be available. I believe they are in the Orlando, Fl. area.
Ah thanks, but I live very far away from FL. You’re just making me wish I lived there more than I already do! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I called a local shop to see how much a mid delete would run me and they said $300-400 which sounds exorbitant for what it is.
Unless the Canadian dollar is something like 35¢ USD, that number sounds insane.

There's no way it will take more than an hour to cut off your mid-mufflers and weld in two straight pipes. And as I mentioned upthread, you don't want garbage pipes from an exhaust shop anyway. Bring your own stainless pipes and you should be able to find a shop to do the job for an hour's labor, maybe $80-100 USD.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It may be best to just wait until funds are available and get the cheapest catback on the market. The Dynomax system 39518 is a 2.5" turbo catback that sounds pretty good. I had it on for the first 3 years of ownership. Slight drone at 55-65 but other than that a great system for the money. Here in the U.S. they run around $450 for the whole setup. Easy to install yourself also! Here is a vid

The 39518 part number for Dynamax fits the 2011-2014 Charger RT. Bolts right up with no other parts needed.

Reactions: dmantis

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless the Canadian dollar is something like 35¢ USD, that number sounds insane.

There's no way it will take more than an hour to cut off your mid-mufflers and weld in two straight pipes. And as I mentioned upthread, you don't want garbage pipes from an exhaust shop anyway. Bring your own stainless pipes and you should be able to find a shop to do the job for an hour's labor, maybe $80-100 USD.
Haha yes may as well be 35¢ to the dollar at this rate. Wouldn’t be surprised if it will be one day with the way our government is…

The kicker is that the guy at the shop said they would sleeve it and it would be a bit of a job considering it’s duals when literally you chop the muffler and replace it with 2’ of pipe. If I had the equipment I’d do it myself. I am going to shop around more for quotes on that and see then what I feel like doing I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It may be best to just wait until funds are available and get the cheapest catback on the market. The Dynomax system 39518 is a 2.5" turbo catback that sounds pretty good. I had it on for the first 3 years of ownership. Slight drone at 55-65 but other than that a great system for the money. Here in the U.S. they run around $450 for the whole setup. Easy to install yourself also! Here is a vid

The 39518 part number for Dynamax fits the 2011-2014 Charger RT. Bolts right up with no other parts needed.
Intriguing. So this system on this side of the border seems to go for $600 despite some, including the guy in the video, claiming ~$400. If on the off chance a muffler delete actually will cost that $300-400 then I guess $600 is probably worth it plus I can do it myself and not ruin the original pipes.

How do these pipes sound compared to the mid delete? I know some people say the mid delete gets raspy and I can tell these seem a good bit deeper but I can’t tell how volume would compare. I can’t really get a taste for volume in any video I can find of it despite how good they are. It‘a unfortunate for us pre refresh guys that most exhaust videos seem to be on 2017+ and I mean that really helps me that they’re out there modding/removing their active pipes when I wish mine could just sound like that. :LOL: Idk there’s something about when my brother’s Daytona gets past 4000ish and that really deep rumble kicks in that tells you they hit it dead on for a factory exhaust.

With this economy I can wait for money and there is a pretty good likelihood I’d end up finding I have even less by then. There‘s zero interest in rebuilding it or stopping Amazon from putting people like me out of work here and apparently they believe our what would be ~$4.00-$5.00 a gallon gas is too cheap!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check ebay #113943786858 if you decide to do the muffler delete. $169.38 Canadian and free ship to you from Michigan. Only $30.00 more than the US price. And it's Stainless. NOTE: This kit is used to replace the "suitcase" style muffler.
Of course mine doesn’t have the suitcase so if they give exactly what is given in the picture I don’t know if at least one of those pipes doesn’t work, plus the shipping cost is almost as much as the kit itself.

Does anyone know though if you do Dynomax Catback vs muffler delete which one is louder?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
What is loud to one person may be quiet to another. Only you know how loud you want your exhaust. Best to just hit on Youtube vids unless you can get up close to someone who has done the mid deliete and you can hear it for yourself. Here is my Daytona with my first mods, Dynomax catback. Crappy vid but gives you an idea of how loud it is. Compare it to mid delete on youtube.

Reactions: mofogo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is loud to one person may be quiet to another. Only you know how loud you want your exhaust. Best to just hit on Youtube vids unless you can get up close to someone who has done the mid deliete and you can hear it for yourself. Here is my Daytona with my first mods, Dynomax catback. Crappy vid but gives you an idea of how loud it is. Compare it to mid delete on youtube.

I see what you are saying, but the only person I know that owns car with the 5.7 has active exhaust and most of the useful quality videos on YouTube, you guessed it, are modding active exhaust. I imagine about any cat back system would make a nicer sound than just chopping mufflers off of stock pipes, I just wanted to know just head to head on actual volume so people including myself can hear I have a V8 and not a battery car. I saw a site that ranked the Dynomax system as “moderately loud” rather than “extremely loud” other systems or a stock-like quiet sound so I guess that’s honestly about what I’d want. I tried asking around other places for prices on muffler deletes and the average as in I couldn’t find anything cheaper was $300 as shops are charging a default $150 per pipe. $300 for hacking up stock pipes and maybe losing a little power which at 3500’ elevation I’ve lost enough already or $600 and some blood sweat and tears for a cat back (and potentially killing myself when my car falls on me) hmm choices…

For some reason I sadly can’t view your video.

Why did it take them until 2017 to make the 5.7 sound good from the factory…

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
IMO they wanted to sell more cars, and now you can even get the GT that on the outside looks like a scat pack but has a V6. The VID does not start until around 20 seconds. Works fine on my side

1 - 20 of 29 Posts