Dodge Charger Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
After a month and a half of owning my 2011 R/T, I’ve had enough of how quiet the stock exhaust is, I mean I did from day one but yeah.

What I’m looking for may sound strange for some of you owners of the newer generation out there that think even they are still too quiet from the factory, but I ideally want an exhaust with similar loudness to the active exhaust that the newer Hemis have. My brother has a Daytona and I really like the volume of it, just loud enough to feel it in your butt, but not crazy loud. I know I’m obviously going to get the advantages of having an active exhaust and I couldn’t be bothered to put a cutout or anything for the sort if I am doing exhaust. I don’t want to break the bank because just buying the car itself nearly made me go broke, so in other words, simple chop and weld mod onto stock pipe.

Where I get confused is that this is not my first car car, but the first one worthy of being modded, so I don’t have any experience of what doing an exhaust is like or how much difference say swapping out mid mufflers for something like the usual CB Vortex or Flowmasters vs just deleting the muffler and also what difference deleting the resonators on top of that does. My guess is that basically no matter what I do it’s not going to make much noise unless I do a res delete or replace them with something but then some people say don’t dare do that because of drone so spend $1000s to do it right.

Basically what’s the best I can do to get the closest to the sound I want? And I do drive on salted roads in the winter.
I can send a clip of what I have if you want. I get the noise factor. I'm pushing a 13 RT and I have no mid muffler Stainless Works long tube headers and stock x pipe with the reso still intact. It sounds like a beast WOT but mildly aggressive at 2k rpm.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What is loud to one person may be quiet to another. Only you know how loud you want your exhaust. Best to just hit on Youtube vids unless you can get up close to someone who has done the mid deliete and you can hear it for yourself. Here is my Daytona with my first mods, Dynomax catback. Crappy vid but gives you an idea of how loud it is. Compare it to mid delete on youtube.

I tried your vid, and got this message:
"This is a private video. Please sign in to verify that you may see it."
I was not signed in to YouTube, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an 11 also, i did the mid delete and it improved the volume of the exhaust but i find it a bit raspy when you get on the pedal, as stated above i left the resonators on, but even then you get drone when in 4 banger mode, so i got a diablo and turned MDS off and bam no more drone at all, i hear replacing the mids with dynomax mini race bullits are one of the cheapest/best sounds for the $$$$$
Absolutely, the cheapest way to go is replacing the mid-mufflers with Dynomax Mini Race Bullits. I know some folks opt out for that $1400 corsa setup but you will love the sound of this set up for the $$$$$.

·
Registered
2011 Charger R/T STP - Billet Silver - Dynomax 39518 Catback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can send a clip of what I have if you want. I get the noise factor. I'm pushing a 13 RT and I have no mid muffler Stainless Works long tube headers and stock x pipe with the reso still intact. It sounds like a beast WOT but mildly aggressive at 2k rpm.
That would be awesome just to see or rather hear what it sounds like, but I don’t intend on touching the headers any time soon if ever. I’m guessing the headers make it sound even better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That would be awesome just to see or rather hear what it sounds like, but I don’t intend on touching the headers any time soon if ever. I’m guessing the headers make it sound even better.

·
Registered
2011 Charger R/T STP - Billet Silver - Dynomax 39518 Catback
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What is loud to one person may be quiet to another. Only you know how loud you want your exhaust. Best to just hit on Youtube vids unless you can get up close to someone who has done the mid deliete and you can hear it for yourself. Here is my Daytona with my first mods, Dynomax catback. Crappy vid but gives you an idea of how loud it is. Compare it to mid delete on youtube.

I tried your vid, and got this message:
"This is a private video. Please sign in to verify that you may see it."
I was not signed in to YouTube, though.
Yeah got the same thing. Private video and I am signed in to YouTube.

·
Registered
5.7L V8 Police Package
8 Posts
First off thanks for the replies.

My hesitation in the mid muffler delete is that when I’ve looked up videos (kinda useless) for it or looked elsewhere on the internet people say it does sound better but then half of them say still too quiet. How would a mid muffler delete only compare to my benchmark of the active exhaust on the newer Chargers?

Then of course there is going with an aftemarket part like those dynomax bullits or flowmaster super10 like so many do, but if all else is left the same wouldn’t just not having mid mufflers still be louder? What about changing the resonators? There seems to be less talk about doing that vs just playing with different mufflers.

The tricky part is some people think the factory exhaust on the newest ones is too quiet and I can’t tell if those are the same kind of people that would complain that a mid delete on the older exhaust is too quiet or it actually is quieter to the point where I feel like I’d waste time and money trying it only to do more work on it again. I don’t want the “I straightpiped my slow Ram 1500 to pretend it’s fast” loud, but I want it to clear I have a V8.
First off thanks for the replies.

My hesitation in the mid muffler delete is that when I’ve looked up videos (kinda useless) for it or looked elsewhere on the internet people say it does sound better but then half of them say still too quiet. How would a mid muffler delete only compare to my benchmark of the active exhaust on the newer Chargers?

Then of course there is going with an aftemarket part like those dynomax bullits or flowmaster super10 like so many do, but if all else is left the same wouldn’t just not having mid mufflers still be louder? What about changing the resonators? There seems to be less talk about doing that vs just playing with different mufflers.

The tricky part is some people think the factory exhaust on the newest ones is too quiet and I can’t tell if those are the same kind of people that would complain that a mid delete on the older exhaust is too quiet or it actually is quieter to the point where I feel like I’d waste time and money trying it only to do more work on it again. I don’t want the “I straightpiped my slow Ram 1500 to pretend it’s fast” loud, but I want it to clear I have a V8.
I have the same exact issue I own a 07 Pursuit with the Hemi and it seems like they did a very good job of keeping there cruiser as quiet as possible I can't here a bit of the exhaust. So I was thinking of just going for the straight pipe, not sure though.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts