Dodge Charger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
4,064 Posts
^^LOL! I was waiting on that response! :D
At first, I was somewhat interested in their findings but when they threw that comment out about spending the time doing more fun stuff, I knew they were off their rockers.

With that said, i agree that there are some good professional washes and i have my favorite for those last resort instances. They do a fantastic job but cleaning is still something I prefer to do myself.

· Registered
17,602 Posts
I started using the touchless car wash near my house. I was actually very impressed with it. The best part is the vacuum that blows all the water out of the body gap.

· Registered
3,608 Posts
i always go to the car wash and hand wash it. I dont trust the auto washers, People get scratches and rim damage sometimes. Im not trying to be one of them.

· Dave
3,632 Posts
Took my old car through all the time... because I got it with 78k miles on it and didn't care that much about the paint. Already had swirls and surface scratches in it. The new car, though? Only the brushless one in town or one of the DIY ones with a pressure washer, just for a quick wash/rinse. Otherwise, I'll hand wash it. Used to use Delta Sonic, which is automated, but during the wash it has a row of those blue strips of what seems to be carpet that has bugs and other crap stuck all in it that just drag over the entire car... No thanks. The touchless one here is pretty much garbage, too, because there's always a film of dirt left on after I run it through there... And now that I think about it... I'm really overdue for a good hand wash...

· Read Only
1,390 Posts
Here's why I hate drive through / automatic car washes... The place by me has unlimited washes (really one a day) for a month for $25. It's a nice wash and cleans really well, but all the automated brushes and rags scratch the hell out of your paint. Check out the pictures below to see what I mean. The first one is a picture of my paint in late summer (September). The second picture is my car in March or April, just when things started warming up. I was driving my car through the wash 1-2 times a week to keep all the salt and snow off of it over the winter. Just look at all the scratches and swirls!! Luckily I was able to buff it all out again in the spring, at least for the most part, but it took pretty much a whole Saturday to restore the paint back to normal. I've done this with two different automatic car washes near me and both yielded the same results. After seeing this I'll never use one again! Hand wash only when it's above freezing. In the winter I'll drive to a DIY power washer location and pop in a few quarters to keep the salt off my baby.

· Registered
862 Posts
^^^ Our cars could be twins because of the automatic car wash. I had the unlimited for $30 a month, as many times as you wanted. I was also going once or twice a week in the winter. By time spring came I was sick to my stomach because of all the scratches in the paint.

So now I'm back to hand washing. I'm going to use a touch less this winter. I have used it a couple of times and it seemed ok. The car was also not winter dirty.

· Dave
3,632 Posts
I had an unlimited deal when I had my white Charger for $18/month or so, but at the time I live or worked near one, but now I'm a good 20-minute drive away... worthless in the winter, really. So I just suck it up and hit the one closer to my house every other week... Almost the same money, but this one is touchless (no brushes) and I hand wash it when I can find time. The swirls on my white paint weren't nearly as noticeable as I expect them to be on the black...

· Registered
390 Posts
Hand washing is the way to go IMO although if one must use a auto wash use a touchless one. Just my 2 cents...which is actually worth 57 dollars and change

· Registered
7 Posts
I was using the auto car wash for just under a year. After a while I started to see small scratches, mainly in the wax. I stopped using it went to hand washing in my driveway and an occasional touch less wash. Much better IMO. The one thing about the auto car wash was they had unlimited washes for $30 a month. You could wash your car once a day. I have black and it shows everything.

When winter comes I'll use mainly the touch less. If I had white or light gray I would probably still use the auto wash. I am getting so lazy. My wife's car is white and I never see the small wax scratches from the auto wash.

auto detailing silver spring
Hi, Recently got an E500 the dealer told me to get it hand wash if possible any reason why automatic washes are not good? I really don't have time to wash it myself and there seems to be nothing but drive-throughs in my area.

· Registered
2021 Dodge Charger SXT AWD
221 Posts
I use a touchless wash in between hand washings just to get minor dust and dirt off the car. I would never use the soft touch because all the dirt from the car before would still be on the brushes I would think?? One of the main reasons I use the wash, especially in winter in WI, is for the under body flush. Need to get that salt off!! As far as the recycled water, from what I understand, it is treated to reuse again and not necessarily that same day? If it was dirty it would leave dirt spots and it would have an odor. Plus with all the technology they have today, I'm sure they have that all figured out as to how to reuse water properly. At least I would hope!

· Registered
167 Posts
Not a bad topic to revisit from the past.
My wife's car is Plumb Crazy Purple and we have taken it though a higher end car wash. That paint color doesn't show scratches as easily as my car does which is pitch black. Mind you we only took it though 2 times in it's life, it's a 2019.
I'm also a retired detailer with an array of detailing supplies at the house.

My car however has never seen a car was, not even when I purchased it. I didn't allow them to clean it at the dealership. I didn't want the first experience with my new car ( in 2020 ) to have scratches right off the lot. I hand wash my car and I do it right. I use high quality products , A foam cannon, drying agent and the best micro fiber towels on the market. I also keep it in the garage and well protected.

Winter time for many is very difficult to wash your car. I suggest using the do it yourself places where you can use hot water washes , bring your own buckets wash mitt drying towels etc and do a fairly nice job and not subject your car to the car wash. If it's crazy cold out and you don't have a dark colored car, you can take it to the car wash , a high end one and get the salt dirt and mess off it. You can always polish it come spring.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts