Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Excuse the ignorance of the question. But, I was wondering what the major differences are between long tube headers and shorty's? Tuned and untuned? With cats and without? Also, does anyone have any recommendations from experience for headers on an SRT8 with stock exhaust? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Anthony should be able to hook you up.. just kep in mind what your real goals for your car are going to be...

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Hello all! Excuse the ignorance of the question. But, I was wondering what the major differences are between long tube headers and shorty's? Tuned and untuned? With cats and without? Also, does anyone have any recommendations from experience for headers on an SRT8 with stock exhaust? Thanks in advance!
Major differences are Long Tubes generate more low end power, shorties top end power. Both are good but the Long Tubes make more power at higher RPM.

Tuned is always a plus, a Diablo tuner would help/work with either. CMR tuned even better.

I say with cats. Frankly un-catted mids smell funny(read stink), IMO:i_rolleyes:

I have an SRT8 with Kooks long tubes and catted mids. I put a Magnaflow cat back on at the same time I did my headers so I cannot speak of what it would sound like/performance with a stock exhaust but I know with my Magnaflow the sound has really deepened over time and performance was awesome..:TU::TU:

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Keep in mind, the SRT stock exhaust manifolds perform extremely well. There is no need to upgrade to headers until you replace the heads OR add a supercharger. I have quite a few mods on my SRT and only upgraded to hi-flo cats and a Corsa Extreme catback (primarily for sound). But, you can always seek professional advice from someone like Stu at Inertia Motorsports.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Major differences are Long Tubes generate more low end power, shorties top end power. Both are good but the Long Tubes make more power at higher RPM.

Tuned is always a plus, a Diablo tuner would help/work with either. CMR tuned even better.

I say with cats. Frankly un-catted mids smell funny(read stink), IMO:i_rolleyes:

I have an SRT8 with Kooks long tubes and catted mids. I put a Magnaflow cat back on at the same time I did my headers so I cannot speak of what it would sound like/performance with a stock exhaust but I know with my Magnaflow the sound has really deepened over time and performance was awesome..:TU::TU:

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Jen- About how much HP do the Kooks add on stock engine?

With Tune?
Without a tune?

I've been thinking about getting these for a while....!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind, the SRT stock exhaust manifolds perform extremely well. There is no need to upgrade to headers until you replace the heads OR add a supercharger. I have quite a few mods on my SRT and only upgraded to hi-flo cats and a Corsa Extreme catback (primarily for sound). But, you can always seek professional advice from someone like Stu at Inertia Motorsports.
Im about to do my first upgrades to my SRT8.. I was thinking of getting some headers and a chip.. Should I get an exhaust or CAI instead of the headers?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Im about to do my first upgrades to my SRT8.. I was thinking of getting some headers and a chip.. Should I get an exhaust or CAI instead of the headers?
Dont waste your money on a chip! Chip= Garbage. By a predator instead.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Unless you plan on opening up the engine and upgrading to a bigger cam your stock headers are fine the factory ones are actualy really good performers. The difference between the long tube and shorts is opposite of what someone else posted. Old school thinking was that shorties gave you more down low and long tubes give you more on top. However this all goes out the window once you start modding the engine. On a stock engine that may be the case I havent seen it yet, but not once you open up the engine that goes out the window. Long tube tuned headers will get you the most out of your engine over the rest. My personal opinion is to buy high flow cats I disagree with catless. Anyway hope that helps.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I have several internal mods on my SRT with a custom dyn tune from a company in Kennasaw Georgia, I still have my stock shorties on and the Magnaflow cats finally gave out so I gutted them and I tell ya I picked HP/TQ. I've been told that I would pick up another 30 wrhp with the LTs, so that would put me at 465 wrhp with a new tune on a stock 6.1 block all motor. But the cost of LTs/install and a new tune is a lot to pick up 30hp.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Stay away from chips.... Get the predator.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have several internal mods on my SRT with a custom dyn tune from a company in Kennasaw Georgia, I still have my stock shorties on and the Magnaflow cats finally gave out so I gutted them and I tell ya I picked HP/TQ. I've been told that I would pick up another 30 wrhp with the LTs, so that would put me at 465 wrhp with a new tune on a stock 6.1 block all motor. But the cost of LTs/install and a new tune is a lot to pick up 30hp.
Nice, it gets tough and expensive to pick up extra hp when you got all the other areas covered. I would keep your eyes on the classifieds here and on other forums LT set ups get posted a few times a month. I got my LT's with HF cats and a cat back all for 500. So the deals are out there g/l!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts