Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some Doug Thorley shorties for my ride will pick up on Sat, cant wait. Now I can have my cam installed, heads ported and headers installed, I'm so excited.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Congrats on the headers. Are those shorties or LT's? Also are you getting your car tuned as soon as it is done?

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Very nice Tom, it will be a whole new car..:TU:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the headers. Are those shorties or LT's? Also are you getting your car tuned as soon as it is done?
They are the shorties, I have a custom tune already from Josh at HHP so I will have him tweek it for me until I can get to the dyno.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
What cam did you end up going with?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What cam did you end up going with?
6.1 cam, it was free so I jumped on it, that way I can keep the wife happy that I didnt spend over 400 for one. Plus I was told if you degree it 6 degrees it is like the comp cam.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
When you mean degree it, are you going to move the cam 6 degrees from top dead center or are you talking about advancing or retarding the timing? Mine has been running pretty good so far and I went Top Dead Center with mine.

Again when ever I actually get on a dyno for a tune it will be pretty cool to compare notes for everyone else on our builds. Are you planning on hitting the track? I know I will be as soon as I feel comfy with the car. Right now there is way to much tire spin. I don't even turn off ESP, I don't need to. darn thing spins every chance it gets it seems. Launching will need to be re-learned when you get your cam in.
heck the other day I took off got rolling floored it and she chirped the tires giong into second, car started going sideways, just barely but it did. You are not going to regret this cam, it is suprisingly has alot more power. Now if I could just scrounge up enough for DRP's rear end, I'd be set pretty good for the track.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Does anybody have a dyno graph of a 5.7 with a 6.1 cam? Id like to see the curves and how it compares to my spartan.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Your spartan will be alot better for sure.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Your spartan will be alot better for sure.
Yeah, I have to agree.. All though if I had the option of a free 6.1 cam before i did mine i would have tried it first too..

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Congrats on the new mods, Tom.:TU:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you mean degree it, are you going to move the cam 6 degrees from top dead center or are you talking about advancing or retarding the timing? Mine has been running pretty good so far and I went Top Dead Center with mine.

Again when ever I actually get on a dyno for a tune it will be pretty cool to compare notes for everyone else on our builds. Are you planning on hitting the track? I know I will be as soon as I feel comfy with the car. Right now there is way to much tire spin. I don't even turn off ESP, I don't need to. darn thing spins every chance it gets it seems. Launching will need to be re-learned when you get your cam in.
heck the other day I took off got rolling floored it and she chirped the tires giong into second, car started going sideways, just barely but it did. You are not going to regret this cam, it is suprisingly has alot more power. Now if I could just scrounge up enough for DRP's rear end, I'd be set pretty good for the track.

Your are correct I am going to have it 6 degrees from top dead center, Should pick up some more HP from what I heard. As soon as I get it all done I will sure post results so we can compare notes. :D I do plan on hitting the track but i'm more into show's, I am just afraid of breaking something and never hearing the end of it lol.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
What are the specs on the 6.1 cam?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is what I found.

6.1 Only:
Intake

VALVE TIMING @ SAE 0.006”
Opens (BTDC): -15.0
Closes (ATDC): 268.0
Duration: 283.0
Valve Lift ( @ Zero Lash): 0.571
Lobe Centerline: 126.5

Exhaust
VALVE TIMING @ SAE 0.006”
Opens (BTDC): -251.0
Closes (ATDC): 35.0
Duration: 286.0
Valve Lift (@Zero Lash): 0.551
Lobe Centerline: -108.0

Overlap: 50.0

Lobe Separation: 117.3

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
here's what I found pretty much the same

Intake:
Open at 15.0 deg BTDC
Close at 268.0 deg ATDC
Duration(probably at .006" lift) 283.0 deg

Exhaust:
Open at 251.0 deg BTDC
Close at 35.0 deg ATDC
Duration(probably at .006" lift) 286.0 deg

.570"/.550" lift int/exh

The lobe seperation equates out to just under 118 degrees, so it is somewhere in the range of 117 to 118 degrees.

Now i don't know what all it means but maybe someone can explain to use all this jargon about cams?

·
Registered
151 Posts
here's what I found pretty much the same

Intake:
Open at 15.0 deg BTDC
Close at 268.0 deg ATDC
Duration(probably at .006" lift) 283.0 deg

Exhaust:
Open at 251.0 deg BTDC
Close at 35.0 deg ATDC
Duration(probably at .006" lift) 286.0 deg

.570"/.550" lift int/exh

The lobe seperation equates out to just under 118 degrees, so it is somewhere in the range of 117 to 118 degrees.

Now i don't know what all it means but maybe someone can explain to use all this jargon about cams?
See attachment below

[FONT=&quot]Cam specs and what they mean.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

The red colored in area is overlap. Overlap is the amount of time both intake and exhaust valves are open.
The blue lines represent an angle. The measured angle is a camshaft’s LSA.
LSA is the angle relationship between the intake and exhaust lobes. If you narrow that angle, overlap is increased.
Duration is the amount of time in crankshaft degrees, that the valve is open. More duration with the same LSA will also increase overlap.
The green line represents lift. The camshaft lobe lift is then multiplied by the cars rocker ratio. Most in the industry consider our rockers to have a 1.65 rocker ratio.

Let’s say you have the following cam.

220/228 350/340 113+3

220: Intake duration. The amount of time in crankshaft degrees that the intake valve is open.
228: Exhaust duration.
350: Intake lobe lift. (350 x 1.65 = 578 valve lift)
340: Exhaust lobe lift (340 x 1.65 = 561 valve lift)
113: LSA
+3: Amount of advance ground into the cam. In this case, the cam has a 110 ICL.

This particular cam has an advertised duration of 269/278 @ .006 and 220/228 at .050.
Using this cam, you get 47.50 degrees of overlap. (For 47.50 degrees of crankshaft rotation, both intake and exhaust valves are open at same time)

If we leave duration the same and change LSA to 117, we get: 39.50 degrees of overlap.

With the 117LSA and less overlap, you can expect:
a. Wider power band, more peak power, smoother idle
b. Improved low-rpm responsiveness, better fuel efficiency, engine may run hotter

With the 113LSA and more overlap, you can expect:
a. Increased mid-range torque, faster acceleration, narrower power band
b. lower fuel efficiency, potential for reversion. Low vacuum.

More Lobe Separation: Wider power band, more peak power, smoother idle

Less Lobe Separation: Increased mid-range torque, faster acceleration, narrower power band

More Duration: Power band moved higher in rpm range

Less Duration: More low-end torque

More Overlap: lower fuel efficiency, potential for reversion. Low vacuum.

Less Overlap: Improved low-rpm responsiveness, better fuel efficiency, engine may run hotter

What camshaft overlap is optimal for you?
10-30: Street towing
20-40: regular street
35-55: street performance
50-70: street/strip
65-100: race
95-115: Pro race

The cam in my Charger has 65 degrees of overlap.
Most of my NA 426 cams have around 55-60 degrees.
Most of my NA 6.1 cams have around 48-52 degrees

In a supercharged car, you want less overlap. If the exhaust valve is open at the same time as the intake valve, you are going to bleed off some of the boost.[/FONT]

Attachments

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
thanks for the awesome post reps comming your way.

So in comparison to a spartan cam what is the stock 6.1 cam if you have the numbers? or even the numbers between a 5.7L stock cam and the 6.1L cam is what I really want to know the differences of?

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for the awesome post reps comming your way.

So in comparison to a spartan cam what is the stock 6.1 cam if you have the numbers? or even the numbers between a 5.7L stock cam and the 6.1L cam is what I really want to know the differences of?

6.1 cam specs
Rocker ratio = 1.60
Gross valve lift = int .542 exh .526
Duration @ .050 = int 205 exh 210
LSA = 116
ICL = 119

5.7 prior to 09
Rocker ratio = 1.60

Duration [email protected] .050 196
valve lift intake .477
valve lift exaust .462
LSA = 113
ICL= ?

As far as comparing to Spartan cam , which one ? Stu make several variations , here is my specs on my Spartan

6.1 cam specs
Rocker ratio = 1.60
Gross valve lift = int .542 exh .526
Duration @ .050 = int 205 exh 210
LSA = 116
ICL = 119

5.7 prior to 09
Duration [email protected] .050 196
valve lift intake .477
valve lift exaust .462
LSA = 113

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Is there any chance who will do a Dyno before and after the modd???? So we could see.... oups YOU could see the addition in HP and eventually give us the result!:rolleyes:
:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts