Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Finally, the famous HEMI tick, has hit the Engine... and the car has only 53K miles on it (Since 2015).
I've done some research, and found on youtube a channel recommending to use the Hellcat Oil Pump for it's high pressure to reduce the lifters failure.

So I need your help guys in deciding which option should I go for?

1. Replace the Lifters with MDS and keep it as it was and go for Hellcat Oil Pump?
2. Replace the Lifters with non-MDS Hellcat lifters and cam, but will they fit directly plug-play on the 6.4 though? Yes, I do have an unlocked PCM from Diablo for the non-MDS tune.

I am confused and can't make up my mind, should I disable the MDS or leave it as it is? I know disabling it is good and all but... I don't know. What do you guys think?

I am no pro in HEMI, nor pro in tuning or doing heavy mods, just basic knowledge and forgive me if I am being dumb.
I am not into track or drag but if a Mustang or a Lexus RC F comes next to me and wants to pull believe me I won't hesitate.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
9,736 Posts
While I don't think a Hellcat oil pump would hurt anything I doubt it would help. If there was an inherent oiling problem every hemi would fail and they don't. Lifter failures are the result of poor quality in the parts used improper hardening or material. The so called Hellcat lifters are the same as those used in the 5.7 and 6.4 manual engines.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I don't think a Hellcat oil pump would hurt anything I doubt it would help. If there was an inherent oiling problem every hemi would fail and they don't. Lifter failures are the result of poor quality in the parts used improper hardening or material. The so called Hellcat lifters are the same as those used in the 5.7 and 6.4 manual engines.
True, so what do you suggest in my case?

· Registered
9,736 Posts
Frequent oil changes with full synthetic oil of the proper viscosity and a high quality oil filter. And wait for a miss C.E.L.

· Registered
9,736 Posts
If a lifter fails it will cause a miss which will light the CEL. You might want to have it checked by a hemi smart mechanic and rule out noisy injectors.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well It did not completely fail, it's starting to fail, no CEL for now. The noise is definitely from a lifter as I diagnosed it and experienced it before on another car.
Whenever I accelerate or rev the engine, the tick noise travels with the rpm and increases.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD Plus
41 Posts
Hey guys,

Finally, the famous HEMI tick, has hit the Engine... and the car has only 53K miles on it (Since 2015).
I've done some research, and found on youtube a channel recommending to use the Hellcat Oil Pump for it's high pressure to reduce the lifters failure.

So I need your help guys in deciding which option should I go for?

1. Replace the Lifters with MDS and keep it as it was and go for Hellcat Oil Pump?
2. Replace the Lifters with non-MDS Hellcat lifters and cam, but will they fit directly plug-play on the 6.4 though? Yes, I do have an unlocked PCM from Diablo for the non-MDS tune.

I am confused and can't make up my mind, should I disable the MDS or leave it as it is? I know disabling it is good and all but... I don't know. What do you guys think?

I am no pro in HEMI, nor pro in tuning or doing heavy mods, just basic knowledge and forgive me if I am being dumb.
I am not into track or drag but if a Mustang or a Lexus RC F comes next to me and wants to pull believe me I won't hesitate.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/96supercharged?app=desktop

If you do have mechanical experience, I would highly suggest looking at this guy's videos. He was a Chrysler tech for ten year I think he says, and he has plenty of experience with the infamous HEMI TICK. I am a personal fan of his 5.7 build he did on a Challenger to get more power and it was all bolt on.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
First thought, are thee any good mechanics and tuners in your area that work on Hemi's. Not mechanics and tuners that work on Mustangs and Camaros but knows a little about the hemi. Oman have any? If not you should just get it diagnosed and fixed at the best shop available. If lifters, then have them replaced and check for damage to the Cam.

· Registered
9,736 Posts
Well It did not completely fail, it's starting to fail, no CEL for now. The noise is definitely from a lifter as I diagnosed it and experienced it before on another car.
Whenever I accelerate or rev the engine, the tick noise travels with the rpm and increases.
In that case with a 6.4 I would replace the cam and lifters without MDS and at minimum turn it off in the tune and seeing as so much has to come apart (heads removed) you might as well remove the mds solenoids and plug them and I would replace the water pump and thermostat. That is going to be a big bill.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
https://www.youtube.com/user/96supercharged?app=desktop

If you do have mechanical experience, I would highly suggest looking at this guy's videos. He was a Chrysler tech for ten year I think he says, and he has plenty of experience with the infamous HEMI TICK. I am a personal fan of his 5.7 build he did on a Challenger to get more power and it was all bolt on.
Yes, I've seen all of his vids regarding the HEMI tick, he also recommends to put a Hellcat oil pump to reduce the lifter failure. I learned a lot from him, and from videos I can definitely say that I have lifters problem.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In that case with a 6.4 I would replace the cam and lifters without MDS and at minimum turn it off in the tune and seeing as so much has to come apart (heads removed) you might as well remove the mds solenoids and plug them and I would replace the water pump and thermostat. That is going to be a big bill.
So option 2, with No MDS.
I also personally feel that I should do an MDS Delete.

Should I go for Comp Cams or just go with the Mopar Hellcat parts?
I want a plug-n-play solution, OEM settings and measurements.

· Registered
41 Posts

if you are getting that far into it, i would do a comp cam, they do cost more that oem but you could call them up, tell them what your plans are for the vehicle, and they will be more than happy to help you find what works best

· Registered
9,736 Posts

Remember that engine has VCT so get a cam that will work with that, it will make life easier. Also check your driveshaft center bearing while you are at it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you are getting that far into it, i would do a comp cam, they do cost more that oem but you could call them up, tell them what your plans are for the vehicle, and they will be more than happy to help you find what works best
Thanks. I was also thinking of the Comp Cams Lifters, I see too many options for the lifters, I want something which will just go into the engine with modifications.

So I will need to do the following when going with non-MDS:
  • Non-MDS lifters.
  • Non-MDS Cams
  • MDS delete plugs
  • Unlocked ECU for tunning non-MDS.

Right?

Am I missing something?

· Registered
41 Posts
Thanks. I was also thinking of the Comp Cams Lifters, I see too many options for the lifters, I want something which will just go into the engine with modifications.

• Non-MDS lifters.
  • Non-MDS Cams
  • MDS delete plugs

Right?

Am I missing something?
i would suggest investing in hptuner, more than not dodge tuning shops use them than diablosport

· Registered
9,736 Posts

• Non-MDS lifters.
  • Non-MDS Cams
  • MDS delete plugs

Right?

Am I missing something?
You probably should change valve springs and push rods when going with a non factory cam.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
If the OP is still in Oman I would first find out what is available to him as I mentioned above. Tuning and installing cams in a foreign country can be a nightmare if not thought out! If there are no tuners with Hemi experience in Oman, he will be forced to go with email tuning with someone here in the states. (I am only going by what is in the OP's profile)

IF, there are no experienced HEMI tuners in his area, it would be wise to contact someone like Sean at Hemifever tuning. He can recommend the best Cam, what other parts are needed and provide a basic tune from his numerous files for the specific cam he recommends. He will have a file for say the 270 Comp Cam that was installed in a 392 Hemi. The basic tune would almost be spot on if there were no other mods like longtubes. He has hundreds of files to start with.

For a Good Cam with MDS delete the OP needs:
Cam with limiter
Lifters (Non-MDS)
PSI springs
strenthened pushrods
Gaskets, recommend Cometic

All the parts can be obtained at MMX or another good Hemi shop.

Reactions: dodgeguy
1 - 20 of 36 Posts