Dodge Charger Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If the OP is still in Oman I would first find out what is available to him as I mentioned above. Tuning and installing cams in a foreign country can be a nightmare if not thought out! If there are no tuners with Hemi experience in Oman, he will be forced to go with email tuning with someone here in the states. (I am only going by what is in the OP's profile)

IF, there are no experienced HEMI tuners in his area, it would be wise to contact someone like Sean at Hemifever tuning. He can recommend the best Cam, what other parts are needed and provide a basic tune from his numerous files for the specific cam he recommends. He will have a file for say the 270 Comp Cam that was installed in a 392 Hemi. The basic tune would almost be spot on if there were no other mods like longtubes. He has hundreds of files to start with.

For a Good Cam with MDS delete the OP needs:
Cam with limiter
Lifters (Non-MDS)
PSI springs
strenthened pushrods
Gaskets, recommend Cometic

All the parts can be obtained at MMX or another good Hemi shop.

Thanks for the info. Yes we do have 1 or 2, but we can always to go to UAE - Dubai (country next door) to tune and do all the modifications.
Unfortunately MMX do not ship to OMAN, I will need to ship it to my freight forwarder in NY, and it will be costly with the customs and VAT. I know Option 2 for non-MDS will be a pain especially in our area.

Sheeeesh... then I think I will go with Option 1: stay with MDS lifters, replace them and replace the oil pump with a Hellcat Oil Pump. Maybe disable the MDS from the ECU? can I do that? because I also hear that the MDS is also causing the lifters failure.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
IMO, your best bet is to replace the lifters with the new ones that Dodge came out with in around 2018. They did not advertise it but all the lifters for V8's now are the same. Same for RT, Scat Pack and Hellcat. Keep the MDS. Do not plug the solonoids. If you want to disable MDS you can do that with a Diablo tuner under the "Change Parameters" when you first hook up the tuner to your OBD port. After hooking up the tuner to the car, It will ask if you want to install a tune, click on No, and you should see the change parameter section. There you can change gear ratios, throttle input, tire size..........and a bunch others.

WRT the oil pump, there is no need to replace it if it is working. The pump did not cause the problem, the problem was in the design of the lifters that dodge had causing a very small percentage to fail. When they failed it also took out the cam in several cases. The Hellcat pump would be a waste of time if your current pump is working as advertised. They typically last for the life of the car.

Reactions: suikoayanajim

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
IMO, your best bet is to replace the lifters with the new ones that Dodge came out with in around 2018. They did not advertise it but all the lifters for V8's now are the same. Same for RT, Scat Pack and Hellcat.
Are you referring to 5038784AD for the 2018 models?
Because I see on summitracing are saying: "The part numbers for the MDS motors are 05038785AD (front, 2 reqd.), 05038786AD (Rear, 2 reqd.)" ?

Also what do you think of the Speed Pro Lifters? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-ht2311k and https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-ht2312k

?

· Registered
2,405 Posts
Stay with the new MOPAR lifters and you will be fine. Do not know anything about Speed Pro. I got this from a forum member (Gapi) who did this swap. When I did mine I did all Non-MDS lifters.

"I did the swap out to those but in MDS. 5038785AD Front on right and left sides 5038786AD Rear on right and left sides. So half of them must be the 5038784AD."

So it looks as if half will be the MDS with part numbers 5038785AD Front on right and left sides 5038786AD Rear on right and left sides. And the rest would be the Non-MDS 5038784AD. Total of 16

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So it looks as if half will be the MDS with part numbers 5038785AD Front on right and left sides 5038786AD Rear on right and left sides. And the rest would be the Non-MDS 5038784AD. Total of 16
5038784AD?
But I read that if I need to stay with MDS I should buy 2 qty of 5038785AD (front set: 2 lifters right, 2 left) and 2 qty of 5038786AD (rear set: 2 right, 2 left), each set has 4 lifters, so (2x4)+(2x4)= 16 lifters.

Right?

· Registered
2,405 Posts
Just be prepared, if the lifters look bad, there is a good chance the Cam has been damaged. Look on YouTube for examples of Hemi Lifter/Cam failure. If your tick is as bad as you say, It might be wise to order the MDS Cam along with the lifters.

· Registered
2022 Charger RT
30 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yes we do have 1 or 2, but we can always to go to UAE - Dubai (country next door) to tune and do all the modifications.
Unfortunately MMX do not ship to OMAN, I will need to ship it to my freight forwarder in NY, and it will be costly with the customs and VAT. I know Option 2 for non-MDS will be a pain especially in our area.

Sheeeesh... then I think I will go with Option 1: stay with MDS lifters, replace them and replace the oil pump with a Hellcat Oil Pump. Maybe disable the MDS from the ECU? can I do that? because I also hear that the MDS is also causing the lifters failure.
If MDS was causing the lifters to fail then no non-MDS (like manual trans Challengers) vehicles would experience the failure, there are non-MDS vehicles that have experienced the same failures. These failures are most likely due to poor quality control during the manufacturing and hardening process of the lifters themselves. That’s why many go hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues and some have failed under 20k miles. Dodge/FCA/Stellantis has put these engines in tens of millions of vehicles all over the world and only a small percentage (overall) have had lifter problems, a big enough percentage to be a known concern but definitely not anywhere close to a majority.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just be prepared, if the lifters look bad, there is a good chance the Cam has been damaged. Look on YouTube for examples of Hemi Lifter/Cam failure. If your tick is as bad as you say, It might be wise to order the MDS Cam along with the lifters.
Yes, I am just hoping for this surprise not to happen! I didn't move the car ever since I heard the tick noise.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If MDS was causing the lifters to fail then no non-MDS (like manual trans Challengers) vehicles would experience the failure, there are non-MDS vehicles that have experienced the same failures. These failures are most likely due to poor quality control during the manufacturing and hardening process of the lifters themselves. That’s why many go hundreds of thousands of miles without any issues and some have failed under 20k miles. Dodge/FCA/Stellantis has put these engines in tens of millions of vehicles all over the world and only a small percentage (overall) have had lifter problems, a big enough percentage to be a known concern but definitely not anywhere close to a majority.
Yes, that's what the guy from Reignited on Youtube also said. Unfortunately I was one of those small percentage lol, talking about luck!

· Registered
2,405 Posts
Stay with the new MOPAR lifters and you will be fine. Do not know anything about Speed Pro. I got this from a forum member (Gapi) who did this swap. When I did mine I did all Non-MDS lifters.

"I did the swap out to those but in MDS. 5038785AD Front on right and left sides 5038786AD Rear on right and left sides. So half of them must be the 5038784AD."

Total or 16

21 - 36 of 36 Posts