Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i've had my charger for a few weeks now and i've loved driving it. i however ussually dont drive for more then a half hour or so. i just took it for a road trip and found every time i turned it off after drivng for a while (30 mins or longer) or when it is fully warmed up it takes alot longer to start. sometimes upto 10 or elven cranks to start. once it sits for about an hour or more it starts right up 1 -3 cranks.
any ideas would help i have like a week left to go back to the dealer before my thirty days are up and i have to deal with the warranty company instead.

2007 dodge charger with the 3.5l ho and the 5 speed auto

·
Registered
223 Posts
hey i've had my charger for a few weeks now and i've loved driving it. i however ussually dont drive for more then a half hour or so. i just took it for a road trip and found every time i turned it off after drivng for a while (30 mins or longer) or when it is fully warmed up it takes alot longer to start. sometimes upto 10 or elven cranks to start. once it sits for about an hour or more it starts right up 1 -3 cranks.
any ideas would help i have like a week left to go back to the dealer before my thirty days are up and i have to deal with the warranty company instead.

2007 dodge charger with the 3.5l ho and the 5 speed auto
Exact same issue and car other than the 4 speed auto stick ...

anyone ...anyone ?

thanks !

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone with a similar problem ? has to be one out there.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Well, if it is still under warranty, I would definitely take it back and let them test it.

It could be several things. Battery, Alternator, voltage regulator, etc...

I would let them test it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
(Fast forward 5 years from the last post :) This is officially the most viewed thread with the "starting problem" tag, but sadly has almost the least number of replies. With so many views, I'm sure others are experiencing this elusive problem...

I'm hoping that by now some folks out there have found and fixed the problem? What was the issue?
Or possibly for those who have been living with this problem, does it get worse until finally the car won't start?

I have a 2009 Dodge Charger SXT with 70K miles, that is taking a few extra sluggish cranks to start up. I just had the battery, starter, and alternator tested, and they all passed.

Thanks for any info!
Steve

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hard starting when the engine is hot is typically a fuel delivery problem. However, fuel delivery on modern cars also involves electronics. During Open Loop operation the PCM receives input signals and responds according to preset PCM programming. Engine start-up is one of the open loop operations.

Engine Start-up -
If the PCM receives the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals, it energizes the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay and fuel pump relay. The ASD and fuel pump relays supply battery voltage to the fuel pump, fuel injectors and ignition coils. The PCM energizes the injectors (on the 69° falling edge) for a calculated pulse width until it determines crankshaft position from the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor signals. After determining crankshaft position, the PCM begins energizing the injectors in sequence and adjusting injector pulse width. PCM determines injector pulse width based on the following:
MAP (manifold absolute pressure)
Engine RPM
Battery voltage
Engine coolant temperature
Inlet/Intake air temperature (IAT)
Throttle position
The number of engine revolutions since cranking was initiated

If the problem is only hard starting when hot, and the car performs fine after starting or during cold starting, I suspect the problem may be a leaky fuel injector nozzle. This is a common cause of long crank times and hard starts after a short engine shut down.
The nozzle may be leaking due to a deposit build up on the nozzle or a worn out internal valve seat. In this case, fuel leaks directly into the engine’s cylinder. If the injector o-ring is leaking you will be able to see or smell gasoline around the area of the injector.

If one or more of the injectors is leaky, it will leak down when the engine is turned off. The engine will need to turn over enough times to get the leaky injector full of fuel. The fuel rail runs over the top of the engine. Any air pockets in the fuel rail caused by the leaky fuel injector will be expanded by the rising heat (air pockets will not be expanded when engine is cold). Plus any excessive fuel in the cylinder will contribute to the hard starting when hot.

I assume you have checked for any DCTs (diagnostic trouble codes)?
Without any DCTs pointing to a specific injector, you will have to diagnose the injectors using a Fuel Pressure Decay Tester and a Mechanic's Stethoscope.

Something you might try when starting the car when it's hot ... turn the ignition switch to the On position without starting the engine. Wait while the fuel pump and fuel pressure builds. Now start the engine and see if it starts any quicker than before. If it starts easier/quicker than it's most likely a fuel problem (leaky fuel injector).

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a great explanation - you're helping me realize my issue is probably different from the other guys since my slow start doesn't get worse after the car warms up - my car always starts slow.

I assume this test works for testing the fuel delivery while cold starting as well?
"...turn the ignition switch to the On position without starting the engine..."

I was talking someone today who had a problem where his battery tested OK, but it turned out the battery was nearly dead. This made me go look at my battery - it's the original, and has 7 years & 70K miles on it, so I'm going to try replacing it.

You've given some great pointers - I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 charger srt8 and have had this exact issue for a couple years now. When i start it when its warm after a short drive it is very sluggish and takes more than normal cranks to start. When I start it when its cold, even days after the last drive, it start up quick and perfect. I have replaced the battery about a year ago and it seemed to help a little, but pretty much continued to happen. Does anyone have a fix for this out there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are talking about long crank time- I have read on other forums it can be the cam sensor on the hemi engines. just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my 07 charger sxt looked at many times for this issue, had the starter looked at and changed multiple times thinking that was the issue but the problem continued...went to the shop again and was able to make the problem happen for them..they hooked some equipment up and did testing on it for like an hour and said (sorry excuse my bad terms Idk all the correct terms) but they said something along the lines that my fuel pressure was dropping under a certain psi that indicates a bad fuel pump. The problem is that it was reading as being say at 31 psi at certain points and then sometimes it ran smooth at 58 psi I believe they said if it drops under 35 psi it indicates a bad fuel pump but since it was off and on the fuel pump could or could not be the problem. I'm probably going to wait it out a bit see if it gets worse and if it does I'll change it out and let you guys know if it was the fuel pump (and possibly the regulator) I'd suggest going to have that tested for anyone having the long cranking issue.
Reviving this thread after over 2 years. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was watching YouTube video I was watching, how to replace a throttle body, I was doing that for a completely different reason then I was reading the comments and a bunch of ppl were asking if this would help their car start since it took the like 15 seconds for their charger to start. Then I was a good way through and a comment said (with replies saying it worked) that the throttle body wouldn’t help the start that the camshaft position sensor sensor was the problem. I bought the sensor and I’ll let you all how it goes
(I have a 2009 charger 2.7L)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was watching YouTube video I was watching, how to replace a throttle body, I was doing that for a completely different reason then I was reading the comments and a bunch of ppl were asking if this would help their car start since it took the like 15 seconds for their charger to start. Then I was a good way through and a comment said (with replies saying it worked) that the throttle body wouldn’t help the start that the camshaft position sensor sensor was the problem. I bought the sensor and I’ll let you all how it goes
(I have a 2009 charger 2.7L)
Well did the new sensor work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts