Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to start by saying this charger belongs to my roommate and he is gone for a year due to college. I told him I would look after it and drive it. There were some known issues that I will go over that he was lazy about and kept saying "I will send you money and you can take it to a shop", but it's irrelevant at this point. My car is a 94 Toyota Celica with 240k miles and breaking everyday so I was looking forward to driving a functioning vehicle. So this car is a 2014 Charger SE with about 160k miles. It was used as a GOV and my roommate bought it from the company when they received new vehicles.

So there were no known issues until about February of this year, and whenever he would start the car there would be this nasty noise (kind of sounded like when you had a baseball card on your bike's back tire) and he would usually turn the car off and on and it wouldn't happen for a few hours. He took it to a local shop and they couldn't find anything and wanted to go deeper in the engine but he said no because he thought it would cost more money. Around May, the noise just stopped happening.

Then, last month, my car's alternator died and I drove his car to work. When I started the car I noticed that his ABS and TCS lights were on, and whenever I would turn left from a stop or sometimes slowing down it would be VERY hard to turn the wheel left. When I questioned him about it he just shrugged it off and said just turn the wheel both ways before driving. So, he left for college two weeks ago and I have driven his car for the past 3 days waiting for a day off to take it to a shop. Yesterday, I drove it to work, and everything was just how it had been (ABS, TCS), but when I went to leave for the day the car made a nasty whine/humming noise and wouldn't start and had a red lightening bolt on the dash.

From what I have heard, it is the ETC, but I am just trying to make sense of all the issues so I can not sound dumb at a shop. I do work on my own vehicles excluding suspension work, but they are mostly Toyota/Honda. So I haven't had issues with any ETC.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You need to plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port (under the dash next to the parking brake pedal). Because the car is showing ABS problems, you will need an advanced scanner that can read all DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) and not just the powertrain codes. The DTCs that have been logged will help diagnose the problem.

I use the BlueDriver scanner. https://www.bluedriver.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts