Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, so i bought my 07 charger 2 years ago in stone white clear coat. so0o0 i have this sweet idea for my ride, but thats all a secret, what im wondering, is the paint, now is there a difference between Flat Black & Matte Black or is it just same with two different names? is there a different look between the two of them? if i go with matte black should i throw a decal down the side? or should i do vinyl wrap instead looking for opionions an help...
thanx

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
there is a difference. flat, matte, and satin are all different.

flat black ....matte black....satin black....gloss black....>
The more you move from left to right, the more glossy, but terms will differ between paint brands. People tend to interchange satin and matte because they're right in the middle of that spectrum.

For debating purposes I would say:

Flat = egg shell dullness, fighter jet finish.
Matte= plastic finish on keyboards etc. or automotive trim.
Satin = a tad more reflective than matte, anodized metal, or coated handgun finish.
Gloss = glass look, oem paint.

Reactions: azoth99

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
true thanks for the input, i how much you think cost to go matte black i figure cheap cuz oem is exspensive

Not for sure the cost, but I would say around 2K+. Don't think this is an easy paint job to do. I have seen a few matte and satin paint jobs around here. some are good and others are WTF.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Those matte paint jobs are harder. The paint shop was gonna charge me more to do my hood matte than the OEM sandstone with clearcoat.

And, you do not wax matte paint.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
how much where they gonna charge you otherwise ill just go with vinyl wrap it

I was gonna have my car vinly wrapped flat black and the ex-vendor told me $2K OTD.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea shop in atlantic city about 2 hours from me said with color install an design an everything between 2,000-2,800 so im tryin to see which gonna be cheaper

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Those matte paint jobs are harder. The paint shop was gonna charge me more to do my hood matte than the OEM sandstone with clearcoat.

I'm surprised by that, my shop said the opposite since he didn't have to do any blending with the fenders.. So my satin black was $150 less then color matching.. I can also wax my hood just like the rest of my car, due to the fact my satin black is a two step paint..

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
100k Mile Club
23,894 Posts

That surprises me, my body shop said the opposite. Painting my hood matte black was cheaper because you don't need to go through all the normal steps when painting. They did normal prep like any other paint, but then sprayed the paint and that was it. No clearcoat and no buffing is done with the paint they used on mine. I guess mine is single stage paint.

The only wax that I will use on mine is Turtle Wax Ice. Anything else will screw it up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Flat black will give you a Primer like finish. ALOT of people dont really like that finish. What people have been going with lately is flat black with a satin finish. The Satin finish allow's you to wax the car and it's just easier to maintain. The flat black will scratch easily and just about anything will leave blemishe's and or spotting, and you can NOT wax it. If i were you i would go with flat black and a satin finish. My buddy has a paint shop and i've seen the amount of work it take's to paint a car espeacially flat black. Don't expect it to be cheap, if you can get a deal under 3K take it. I've had my SRT painted twice, i'm currently rocking Melbourne Red Metallic off the BMW M3 E92.

Also if you going for graphic's or design's nothing beat's paint. Vinyl is fine and all that but nothing beat's paint. PM me if you interested in some info that you may want in term's of custom paint pricing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts