Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Had a question regarding the Mopar Eagle headers for the 5.7L hemi. I own a 2010 dodge r/t and want to add one of my last mods which would be headers. I don't want to void the warranty I currently have on it so I was told I would have to get the ones that Mopar are selling which are: Headers 2009-10 Charger/300/Challenger, 5.7L Eagle part number P5155484 and buy the wire extension oxygen sensor part number P515535. This comes out to be like 1400 for the buy and install......Is this worth it??? I got my mechanic friend( wrench nut) who says yeah, but the price vs the 14 to 18 HP gain doesn't seem worth it. Should I just buy another brand which would be be cheaper and install or go with the Mopar one??? Yours truly, confused and dazed.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i wud buy a cheaper brand nothing is going to go wrong. and dont go to the stealership unles you have to (and dont mention the heads to them)

but i dont have a warranty on my car as i am a 06 driver.

(dont buy Doug Thorley headers ) a hint to the wise.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i wud buy a cheaper brand nothing is going to go wrong. and dont go to the stealership unles you have to (and dont mention the heads to them)

but i dont have a warranty on my car as i am a 06 driver.

(dont buy Doug Thorley headers ) a hint to the wise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate the advice, I couldn't for the life of me understand why it would cost that much when other headers are so much cheaper and seem alot better. Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yeah no prob somebody esle may chime in and tell you otherwise . . .

but really these HEMI's are pretty sound motors.

·
Registered
238 Posts
jba shorties seem to be the go to choice, thats what i would get. great flow and low cost, great quality

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
1400 is outrageous. Headers should be 400 and the install should be no more than 500

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
5,005 Posts
There are many factors when deciding on headers with pros and cons both ways. There is no one size fits all answer so I'll try and break it down in general choices for you.

Shorty Headers vs Long Tube Headers

Shorties are smog legal, better low end torque, cheaper to buy and much cheaper to install

Long tubes give more top end and are better when doing more engine modifications such as an agressive cam and heads package or a forced induction set up but are illegal in many states for street use. LTs also cost substantially more and the labor to install them is much higher too. If you do the other power mods and go with the long tubes a custom tune will then get you the maximum power throughout the power curve and eliminate the low end torque loss.

For shorties the main two choices are JBAs and BBKs, neither seems to hold an advantage over the other so it's more of a personal choice/best deal thing. It's highly suggested to get new header gaskets from the dealer when using them because the ones supplied with the shorty headers are crap and have a high instance of developing leaks.

Either shorties or long tubes can benefit from ceramic coating. Headers emit a ton of heat in the engine bay and heat robs power, ceramic coating reduces the amount of heat the headers produce which is better for your power and all the surounding componants exposed to the heat. Well worth the investment if you're going to do them.

So the choices depend heavily upon your future plans for the car and what money and your state's emissions laws allow.

Reactions: SRTAndy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts