HELP!! Violent shifting down into first and won't shift past 2nd or 3rd periodically

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger General Discussion' started by Phunkydiabetic, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Phunkydiabetic

Phunkydiabetic Active Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    So here I was on a few hour drive home when I started noticing some slight hesitation when downshifting into first before it would just clunk into first. This repeated itself quite a few times and maybe a half an hour from home if violently downshifted in the first while I was coming to a stop sign. As I made my left hand turn and started to accelerate it didn't seem to want to go past 2nd or 3rd.

This is obviously very concerning. Few other times it's seems as if it didn't downshift into first and was staying in third or so. This obviously made acceleration to be terribly slow. The transmission light is on and it won't allow me to shift into sport mode or use the paddles.

Anyone have I any ideas what's happening here or is anyone gone through the same thing?

2. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port (under the dash by the parking brake pedal) and see what diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are logged.
    Many of the symptoms are similar to Limp Mode ... where the transmission is limiting the gear selection. Also check the transmission fluid level. If you have the NAG1 5-speed, the correct fluid level is dependent on the transmission fluid temperature. The 8-speed transmission also has a specific procedure for checking the transmission fluid level (e.g. check when fluid temp is below 86°F, put the car on a lift, remove fill plug, etc ...). So have it checked by a service tech who knows the procedure.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Shooterjgs and Phunkydiabetic like this.
  3. Phunkydiabetic

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I was too tired to pull a code last night so I did it today before going to the dealership.

P0733 - Generic
    Type - Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled
    Description - Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

On the way to the dealership this morning it was shifting pretty good. It was clunky going into third and Dow shifting but was nowhere near the roughness of last night.

Welp, let's see what these guys have to say about it...

4. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    The possible causes for P0733 differ depending on whether you have the NAG1 5-speed or the 8-speed transmission.

Phunkydiabetic likes this.
  5. Phunkydiabetic

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I have the 8 speed. What causes could it be?

I was only able to speak with them very briefly tonight before they closed but apparently they found nothing wrong mechanically and said it brought up some code that said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "high transmission temperature due to operating in lower gear because of paddles".

I find this odd since I never even used the paddles once during that whole drive until AFTER the issue popped up, and even then it was to see how it would behave while manually shifting. Would limp mode disable paddle shifting?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. Skidz

Skidz Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I think they made that up to try and pin the blame on you.

7. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Typically when in Limp Mode the last engaged gear remains engaged (no manual shifting). Sometimes the 8HP45 locks the transmission in 6th gear.

P0733-00-GEAR 3 SHIFT INCORRECT RATIO
    Set Condition:
    The Transmission Control Module (TCM) did not detect a 3rd gear ratio when commanded.
    Possible Causes:
    Clutch B, C, E
    TCM Assembly (Transmission Control Module or TCMA)

The diagnostic that set this DTC checks for an unexpected transmission ratio. The diagnostic performs an out-of-range check that compares the actual gear ratio (ratio of input speed to output speed) to a minimum and maximum gear ratio threshold.
    The 8HP45 transmission uses two multi-plate holding clutches (A and B) and three multi-plate driving (rotating) clutches (C, D, and E). When in 3rd gear the solenoids for clutches B, C, E are On.
    The input and output speed sensors are Hall-effect sensors that measure shaft rotational speed. The input and output speed sensors are located on the TCMA.

From the above description, you can see why the Service Manual has the clutches and TCMA listed as possible causes.

The TCM stores, under Environmental Data, the transmission operating conditions when the DTC was set. This is where the dealership is getting their information regarding the high transmission temperature. But their interpretation of the Environmental Data seems to be faulty. The high temperature condition was present prior to your attempt to manually shift and not caused because of manual shifting.

They said they found nothing wrong mechanically. I suspect they read all the codes that were logged, cleared the logs and ran diagnostics in an attempt to recreate the problem. The problem did not recreate itself so the diagnosis is "no problem found" ... blame it on the usual suspects.

To safe guard against a reoccurring high temperature condition, ask them if they checked the transmission fluid level according to the Service Manual procedure. If they did ... great. If they didn't ... request they do it.

8. Phunkydiabetic

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black

Thanks for all your help man. It isn't as if I don't trust the dealership, I do to a degree. They have always been good to me but this is what I love about this place, people like you with so much knowledge and a completely unbiased third party view on the situation, so that is awesome.

I have had the car back for a few days and have driven around quite a bit with no issues. It is acting just like it always has. At this point I should I just assume there is nothing wrong and continue about my business? Or should I get a second opinion elsewhere?

9. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    If the car is driving with no issues I would just continue driving it like you normally do. It could have been an intermittent hiccup with the sensors, bus communications, etc ... and will not repeat itself. Use the EVIC menus to monitor the transmission temperature. One of the EVIC menus is labeled as "Vehicle Info". That menu will display the transmission temperature. You can monitor it to see what temp is normal for your car during your usual commute, etc ... Then if you see the temp going real high, you can adjust your driving until it cools down and watch for any changes in the performance of the transmission (e.g. shifting, etc ...). I would contact the dealership again if you start seeing consistent over-temp conditions and the transmission starts acting up again.

I wouldn't bother with a 2nd opinion at this point. All the codes have been cleared and there's not anything that will show up under diagnostic testing. I don't know the mileage on your car but I assume it's not due for the transmission fluid & filter change; otherwise, the dealership would have recommended it.

10. Phunkydiabetic

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Pitch Black

Funny you should say that about the evic, I was watching the transmission temp on and off as I was driving back home after this all started and it was around 85°c (185°f) give or take a few degrees either way. As for mileage I'm at just over 45,000km (around 28,000 miles).

As I said before thanks for being a help not just for me but for many other people here on the forum!