Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dodge Charger starts then shuts off won’t stay on we have changed the starter,fuel pump crankshaft and camshaft sensors battery is good not sure what it can be please if someone know anything please share your knowledge it will be very helpful and appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Dodge Charger starts then shuts off won’t stay on we have changed the starter,fuel pump crankshaft and camshaft sensors battery is good not sure what it can be please if someone know anything please share your knowledge it will be very helpful and appreciated
I occasionally had this issue about 1-2 minutes after filling up the gas tank. Completely random, and sometimes it wouldn’t happen for awhile. After fueling up and leaving the gas station at anytime for the next 5 minutes the car would shut the F___ off! Black cluster, no power steering, no power brakes, cruising down the Highway at 50 mph, turning a corner at 30 mph, or idling at a red light. Would start right up but for the next few minutes it could happen again at any given time. If I kept the RPM’s high it would stay on but surge like a bucking bronco instead of stall out. After around 5 minutes it was fine. No DTC’s EVER. I ended up just living with it and being cautious after filling up.

My solution was by accident but it fixed the issue 100%. I got the car custom tuned by Diablosport. The problem had ALWAYS existed. When I got the car completely stock and after adding bolt on aftermarket parts. Not until i got a custom tune did it stop. Ran smoother than a baby’s butt at 120,000 miles than it EVER did stock.

My belief is the manufacturer tune in this build of Charger is trash, and going to kill someone. A miracle that dodge has not had dozens of lawsuits from injury or death due to this bizarre programming issue. Maybe one of the flash updates from tuner chip resolved the issue or the custom parameters that were changed. The programmers will never tell you their trade practice so I don’t know for sure. Nevertheless I swear by custom tuning a car after that experience. This info probably is irrelevant to you. Sounds like your issue is different but that was my rant on the 2006 R/T 5.7 liter.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I occasionally had this issue about 1-2 minutes after filling up the gas tank. Completely random, and sometimes it wouldn’t happen for awhile. After fueling up and leaving the gas station at anytime for the next 5 minutes the car would shut the F___ off! Black cluster, no power steering, no power brakes, cruising down the Highway at 50 mph, turning a corner at 30 mph, or idling at a red light. Would start right up but for the next few minutes it could happen again at any given time. If I kept the RPM’s high it would stay on but surge like a bucking bronco instead of stall out. After around 5 minutes it was fine. No DTC’s EVER. I ended up just living with it and being cautious after filling up.

My solution was by accident but it fixed the issue 100%. I got the car custom tuned by Diablosport. The problem had ALWAYS existed. When I got the car completely stock and after adding bolt on aftermarket parts. Not until i got a custom tune did it stop. Ran smoother than a baby’s butt at 120,000 miles than it EVER did stock.

My belief is the manufacturer tune in this build of Charger is trash, and going to kill someone. A miracle that dodge has not had dozens of lawsuits from injury or death due to this bizarre programming issue. Maybe one of the flash updates from tuner chip resolved the issue or the custom parameters that were changed. The programmers will never tell you their trade practice so I don’t know for sure. Nevertheless I swear by custom tuning a car after that experience. This info probably is irrelevant to you. Sounds like your issue is different but that was my rant on the 2006 R/T 5.7 liter.
When what you've described happens on an '06, it's almost always related to the fuel tank recall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When what you've described happens on an '06, it's almost always related to the fuel tank recall.
Yeah that’s what some owners in forums I read did as a solution. Some had replaced multiple gas tanks with temporary success. Others did a number of other things that were all different.
I’m convinced it’s a software issue. I’m sure physically there’s design flaw but it was resolved by programming in my instance. I hadn’t heard there was a fuel tank recall. I sold the car in 2018.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Had this on 06 Daytona. Fuel tank was replaced no cost under warranty! Known circumstance.
BF02BC8D-DCBE-4205-890B-899712F1306F.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts