Dodge Charger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is the USB device formatted for FAT32? When does the 31A0 error occur, at the beginning the middle or end of update process? I use the CTP11/CTP12 process so I can't say anything from experience about the CTP13/CTP14 process. When I load the new maps I bring up the Uconnect Nav home screen first and then plug the USB drive into the USB port. Seems to cause fewer problems with loading. I'm not sure what the 31A0 error code means but 31A2 means there's not enough storage space in the Uconnect to load the maps. I think there's a procedure posted somewhere on the forum for deleting Uconnect map files. After creating more space on the Uconnect you can retry loading the maps.
I have gotten an error message in the past (I don't remember the code) and the new maps would not load. The problem corrected itself when I loaded a different (later) version of the maps. Since your maps are the latest version (2023.20) you might try loading an older version (2021.20, 2021.30 or 2022.25) to see if they load successfully.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes I have the USB formatted to the fat 32. So what I'm doing is I pull up the nav menu where it says where to or maps. I plug in the USB then it will begin to validate it will validate for maybe 7secs or so then I get the "map update was not installed successfully. Plz try retry or contact dealer. I only get the 31A0 if i unplug the usb an plug it back in when I'm retrying to do the process again. If I cycle the car to off an do the process again from the top nav menu plug in it will do the validating again an then back to the map update was not successful. Same. How do I find the previous version of maps on the nuvi?? I would like to try that an see if that would work!!! Thx for the reply as well.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, at ANY point did you not read where it said this process was for CTP 11 & 12?

Looks like you borked your maps by not reading correctly.
???? My rb5 is from 13/14 ctp I followed the process for the 13/14 which is almost the same an the 11/12 process from what I read the difference is the USB set has an 1 less file then what mine would have.. so not understanding what you mean?? The CTP 17 came from the Uconnect update...

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyone have any ideas?? I've been reading alot of forums an posts. Past few days.. has anyone heard of downgrading back down to CTP13 4.08 firmware to be able to load maps easier 🤔?? Im currently on the CTP17 which was the last update uconnect offered. Has anyone done this/ heard of it??? Any help/replys would be awesome or more ideas on the subject on how I can get my maps updated to the most current ones would be great!!! still not having any luck 😑.... TIA..

· Registered
3,673 Posts
According to the instructions posted by Tanbam ...

Two files, gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img should be manually unlocked before they go into the car.
Refer to Step 2: Unlocking the gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files

If the validation process has an error, especially if "0x31A0" pops up, then the all-at-once method will not work. Go to Step4 for instructions.
Step 4: Fallback method for installing full update

Revised CTP2013 map update process (2013-2014)

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
According to the instructions posted by Tanbam ...

Two files, gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img should be manually unlocked before they go into the car.
Refer to Step 2: Unlocking the gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files

If the validation process has an error, especially if "0x31A0" pops up, then the all-at-once method will not work. Go to Step4 for instructions.
Step 4: Fallback method for installing full update

Revised CTP2013 map update process (2013-2014)
Right I have did this an still seem to be getting the same thing now to my understanding I just drag those to files over to the gimgtools-0.03-win32.zip unlock 1 at a time it does a flash an that's it does the unlock file go somewhere else??? Or does it just unlock it from where it sits in the USB??? That's what my understanding was for unlocking them??? This is what I was unsure of before on unlocking the files once I drag it over to the unlock it says copy I release the file on the unlocker it flashes quick then disappears. So my question is the unlocked is it going somewhere else or does it just unlock the file from where it's at in the USB where I grab the file 1to drop it on the unlock which is a copy of the 2 image file. 🤔 I hope that makes sense 😅.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Right I have did this an still seem to be getting the same thing now to my understanding I just drag those to files over to the gimgtools-0.03-win32.zip unlock 1 at a time it does a flash an that's it does the unlock file go somewhere else??? Or does it just unlock it from where it sits in the USB??? That's what my understanding was for unlocking them??? This is what I was unsure of before on unlocking the files once I drag it over to the unlock it says copy I release the file on the unlocker it flashes quick then disappears. So my question is the unlocked is it going somewhere else or does it just unlock the file from where it's at in the USB where I grab the file 1to drop it on the unlock which is a copy of the 2 image file. 🤔 I hope that makes sense 😅.
Right I have did this an still seem to be getting the same thing now to my understanding I just drag those to files over to the gimgtools-0.03-win32.zip unlock 1 at a time it does a flash an that's it does the unlock file go somewhere else??? Or does it just unlock it from where it sits in the USB??? That's what my understanding was for unlocking them??? This is what I was unsure of before on unlocking the files once I drag it over to the unlock it says copy I release the file on the unlocker it flashes quick then disappears. So my question is the unlocked file going somewhere else or does it just unlock the file from where it's at in the USB where I grab the file to drop it on the unlock which is a copy of the image file. 🤔 I hope that makes sense 😅.

· Registered
3,673 Posts
I don't use the gimgtool for the CTP11/CTP12 so I don't have any experience with it. A zip file is a compressed file and once it's uncompressed it will create the files that were contained within the zip file; in this case it's the "gimgunlock.exe" file. Once the gimgunlock.exe file is created, Tanbam's instructions say to drag-and-drop gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img files, one at a time, onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file ... but he doesn't explain what happens to the gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img files. I don't know if it creates new files or just modifies the existing files.
Look at the file properties (timestamp) of gmapprom.img & gmap3d.img after unlocking them. See if they were modified. The other option (I'm guessing) is to Run the gimgunlock.exe and see if it gives you a user screen where you can select the files to be unlocked.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ima gonna start from scratch an try an run it like you suggested to see if i see any difference in the file..... how I was doing it before I do the "unlock I have the file with the gimgunlock on my desktop when I drag it to that file it opens an I drop it on thr gimgunlock.exe part of it. once i do that it will flash but like I said before I don't see the file or anything That seems to be different or says unlocked?? 🤔 an not really sure if the file moves to showwhere else or just stays in the same place?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I started all the way over did everything to the dot... even the "Fallback method" an still no luck!! Iv read an read an found on some other forums that the CTP version needs to be down graded to version CTP13 SW..!! I'm currently on CTP17 SW... an it's blocking I'm assuming not allowing the update to happen sooooo now I'm trying to find The CTP13 3.15 or 4.08 SW. Anyway if anyone can Help with finding that's version of SW Let me know. TIA or if Anyone has any better suggestions on it plz LMK.. THX.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
Well I started all the way over did everything to the dot... even the "Fallback method" an still no luck!! Iv read an read an found on some other forums that the CTP version needs to be down graded to version CTP13 SW..!! I'm currently on CTP17 SW... an it's blocking I'm assuming not allowing the update to happen sooooo now I'm trying to find The CTP13 3.15 or 4.08 SW. Anyway if anyone can Help with finding that's version of SW Let me know. TIA or if Anyone has any better suggestions on it plz LMK.. THX.
I mentioned this. If you read the threads it specifically says what CTP version it woks on.

· Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm currently on CTP17 SW
Before you can update your maps you will need to downgrade your firmware to CTP13. Once you do that, you can upgrade your maps using the procedure for CTP13. After that you can either keep your firmware at CTP13 or upgrade back to the higher firmware. Upgrading back to the higher firmware has been reported to work for CTP14 and CTP15 but I don't know about firmware higher than CTP15.

Reactions: LU'BEATNGU

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Before you can update your maps you will need to downgrade your firmware to CTP13. Once you do that, you can upgrade your maps using the procedure for CTP13. After that you can either keep your firmware at CTP13 or upgrade back to the higher firmware. Upgrading back to the higher firmware has been reported to work for CTP14 and CTP15 but I don't know about firmware higher than CTP15.
Ok soo ive did alot of reading seems thats what i need to do. But how can I downgrade back to the CTP 13 firmware I cant find the file for it?? Iv did multiple searches for it. I found a link on the other "chargerforums" with a link from RScottyL that's says CTP13 4.08 firmware (gupdate.gcd). I click on the link...an it brings this file up.( I'll post pics as steps I take pics left to right ). If I click on the file it will bring this up the Garmin file. Click again an it's the file I need. If I click on it it will say copy file name

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Gas
Computer Personal computer Netbook Laptop Output device

Computer Personal computer Laptop Output device Netbook
Computer Personal computer Output device Laptop Netbook

Computer Personal computer Netbook Laptop Input device

So I'll go to the right corner where it says to download. Does not let me right click or anything but can click on download. I get Google drive can't scan this file for viruses..
Computer Font Communication Device Screenshot Gadget
I hit download anyway.

An it download as this??
Wood Rectangle Font Parallel Hardwood

If I click on the file it just asks select an app to open this .rar file?? This it??
Computer Personal computer Font Operating system Gadget

Sooo I'm stuck here... I don't know if I need to copy the file over to a USB an try an see if it will do the downgrade like that or what?? 🤔
Was hoping RScottyL could chime in on this. Anyway would be great of I could get the right file I need or someone tell me who to get the firmware.. TIA. Ps. Srry I know this is a long reply djalbin...

· Registered
1,050 Posts
Wait, are you telling me you do not know what a .rar file is?

Link to the other thread? Does it not tell you what to do?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wait, are you telling me you do not know what a .rar file is?

Link to the other thread? Does it not tell you what to do?
CE9311 no I don't not know what a .rar file is?? An yes it tells the steps to take once you have the file you need. But I don't know how to extract the file i need as I posted before I'm stuck there. Care to tell me what I need to do to extract the file?? Or get the file I need.. If you know? it's a learning process for me lol. Just trying to figure it out as I go. As for the link let me see if I can get it so Maybe you could help explain it to me more. Thx.. heres the link where I got the info.

HOW TO: Downgrade CTP Firmware on Uconnect CTP13+ (2013...

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update!!! I was able to figure out how to get it back down to the CTP 13!!! Just used winrar to extract the file!! Put it on the USB an followed the steps in the link above to get it back down to the CTP 13 SW I started from CTP 17 if anyone wanted to know. So now I'm in the process of getting all the file maps put back onto my USB drive (starting over again) lol. Hopefully this time when I get everything loaded on to it I'll be up to the updated maps!! Will keep everyone posted.. pic of CTP13 4.08

Gadget Font Display device Screenshot Multimedia

21 - 40 of 49 Posts