Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Well, in recent months I happened to come into some money. I'm currently pursuing my career as a firefighter :TU:

But also, my grandfather (RIP)'s house has sold which brings me into the possession of a certain sum of money.

Before I get too far into this I want to make the statement that i've been down the road of trading in or buying new, but I want to keep this car. It's paid off, and it's my first real car.

I was reading online from this guy who had a 2008 DUB Edition 3.5 charger, just like mine. DUB's have SRT/RT Suspension and RT Brakes.
He called up the Cleveland Pick-N-Pull and they had a donor 08 Daytona RT with a 5.7 HEMI in it, and swapped it into his DUB (with 5spd tranny, dashes, columns, steering etc) for just over $8k. Keep in mind this was in 2008.

So I've been circling my o's and dotting my I's since May of this year. And now it's almost 2014 and I'm ready to pull the trigger and do something. I can either order a Tidalwave from Tim, or do some work and try to get a 6.1 dropped into mine with tranny and all. Money is still a factor, because I'm not out to blow, but i'm out to make my car feel new again. My issue with the SC is the 4spd in my car, and if I'm charging mine, putting a 5spd is gonna be necessary either way in my eyes. So tranny swap + engine swap, or a tranny swap + supercharged V6?

Thanks in advanced for you guy's help!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ive been considering the same ( 6.4 or wait for the supercharger) ill wait to see what you do and how it goes . Wish you the best and im sorry about your grandfather .

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thats a tough one! I would like to see dollar for dollar cost and that might help make my decision if I was in your shoes. I personally plan on getting the SC this spring or the following spring. but I already have the 5 speed and I have this obsession with the idea of pissing people off with a V6! I agree too about having a car that is paid off and not wanting to jump back into the loan deal! Anyway good luck and ill check in too see how it goes!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. My one thing is, is that if both the prices are reasonably the same, then I might as well just take the HEMI. More power & you get the priceless ability to be able to say "Yes, that is a HEMI in there."

Anyways, I have my pencil and paper down and i'm doing some work. I'll let you guys know sometime this week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to my local Pick-N-Pull tomorrow afternoon. There is a 2008 SRT8 in stock there. Going to see what I can salvage!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm going to my local Pick-N-Pull tomorrow afternoon. There is a 2008 SRT8 in stock there. Going to see what I can salvage!
Do you know everything youll need for the swap? Or are you just looking for engine and tranny and comp?

·
Does this dial go to 11?
155 Posts
Personally, I'd vote SC....I have no issues with mine at all, and I don't expect to - even as it progresses into more power.

What I also like is the fact that should I blow something up, it's a LOT cheaper to buy the more common 6-cyl motor from a scrapyard...They're plentiful and cost next to nothing.

Just my opinion, but 4K for Tidal's kit and virtually ZERO operating issues will always beat the 8K+ tag on a hemi, harness, ECU, trans, rear end (axles to handle the torque), suspension (to handle the weight), and the possibility of it being a pile of crap that never operates like stock, or flashes warning lights at ya constantly. Not to mention the time factor - if your time is precious, as it is with a lot of us, a couple hours on the driveway for 100+ HP CLEARLY wins over months of swapping driveline parts and screwing about with plumbing/wiring issues.

Just my thoughts! I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the swap, because it's a hell of a project, and I love the idea of it! But DO remember exactly that - it's a hell of a project!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts