Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all, I finally was able to make it out to the dragstrip a few weeks ago and was rather impressed with the results. I have a 2012 Charger RT AWD that is rather stock (drop in K&N filter, muffler/resonator delete, ported/polished throttle body, port matching intake manifold inlet and runners and HEMIFEVER 93 octane tune). All of these passes were made at Milan Dragway in Milan Michigan in very similar conditions. Back on November 4th, 2018 before the HEMIFEVER tune, porting/polishing I managed to run a 13.870 at 100.15mph in the 1/4 mile, the DA was -140 feet that day. Now a few weeks ago on October 27th, 2019 with the only changes to the car being the porting/polishing of the throttle body, port matching the intake manifold, HemiFever 93 octane tune and new wheels and tires.

The new wheel/tire setup actually robbed a good amount of power by themselves (new wheel/tire set up with 275 tires weighed 32 pounds MORE then the factory wheels and 255s which is about a 10rwhp lose from added rotational mass). On top of that the DA was 1200 feet (1350 feet above when I ran last year), I ended up running a 13.80 at 100.17mph (gain of .07 off the last year's time). Now if the DA was the same as when I ran last year (according to a online calculator) I could have ran a approximate time of 13.60 at 101.7mph, add in the extra 10rwhp+ lost from the heavier wheels/tires and I would expect to atleast knock off another .02 or so. All said and done that's roughly .25+ of a second off my 1/4 mile time just from HEMIFEVER's 93 octane tune, ported/polished throttle body, port matching the intake manifold (which may have picked up a few hp at best). By my research a ported throttle body can give up to around a 10rwhp gain on a stockish 5.7 Hemi so the vast majority of that time gained is from the HEMIFEVER tune. The tune really "woke" the car up, is much more enjoyable to drive and the throttle response has greatly improved. All in all on a essentially stock engine the gains even without the corrections are respectable but with the corrections I noted I don't think there is a better mod for the $ out there right now for the 5.7 Hemi's and is very impressive! Without a doubt a Diablo tuner and a HemiFever custom tune should be one of the first mods you should do.

Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sean knows what he's doing; lord knows he's been doing it long enough. He was one of the first hemi tuners back in the early days.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Boostedstroker, I understand that you are happy that the car is much more enjoyable to drive but it does not seem like you have much of a real before and after performance increase for those mods? Not trying to be harsh but my 2013 Daytona R/T Road and Track has run a 13.40 @ 103.75 with no mods, factory exhaust and the original Goodyear F1 Summer performance tires. I don’t know about the da that day but Maryland International Raceway is known as a fast track. Even so, with a tune and your mods, I would think yours would go lower 13’s?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boostedstroker, I understand that you are happy that the car is much more enjoyable to drive but it does not seem like you have much of a real before and after performance increase for those mods? Not trying to be harsh but my 2013 Daytona R/T Road and Track has run a 13.40 @ 103.75 with no mods, factory exhaust and the original Goodyear F1 Summer performance tires. I don’t know about the da that day but Maryland International Raceway is known as a fast track. Even so, with a tune and your mods, I would think yours would go lower 13’s?
Mine is AWD so it's roughly 200-250 pounds heavier then if it was RWD (AWD weighs roughly 4450+, mielne being fully loaded with leather, moonroof, power/heated seats etc. I don't think you could get a Charger any heavier). Also with it being AWD means there is more drivetrain loss, which is another little chunk in itself. With a good DA like my first slip was I would expect to get into the 13.6X range atleast. Just the extra weight is going to make it atleast .2-.3 slower vs a RWD. Unfortunately without a trans brake you can't really take advantage of the AWD as you can't launch with enough rpms. If it had the capability to launch higher to take advantage of the AWD I would have to guess you could easily knock off a tenth or two.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
In addition to weight there's also the rear gear ratio. What rear gear ratio is in the AWD? The RWD had 2.65 or 3.06 depending on the R/T model and optional packages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts