Dodge Charger Forum banner

Hi, I would like an expert opinion.

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  48958 
#1 ·
Hi, im looking to buy a 2015 dodge charger sxt awd. It has about 80k miles on it and its 12k. Should i be worried about reliability? This would be my first Mopar product and i would like to invest into a domestic. What should i look out for? How much many miles would i be able to get out of this vehicle? Thanks in advance.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Mid-size car

See less See more
#4 ·
You will have to wait for someone with an AWD to answer. I really do not know, the engine should be good for that if it was maintained. My suggestion is hold out for one with lower mileage and service records, if you have to pay more, it might be worth it in the long haul.

#5 ·
This would be my first Mopar product and i would like to invest into a domestic.
If you go into this thinking of it as an "investment", please consider buying gold instead.

In terms of reliability and frequency of repair, if you're coming from something like a Toyota or a Honda, chances are you'll be less than thrilled. These cars are the offspring of a marriage between Chrysler and Fiat, so just think about that for a minute.

If you're coming from, say, a BMW, you'll probably be happier with the lower part and repair costs.

In terms of the mileage, yes, that's considerably higher than average, and it should be reflected in the sale price. If you're asking how the mileage will affect the car's reliability and remaining service life, chances are, not much. With modern engineering and lubricants, the difference in engine wear between a 5 mile trip and a 500 mile trip can't even be measured, so your 80,000 mile Charger might be in better mechanical shape than one with 30,000 miles that was driven mainly on short trips.

When you see the car in person, check the total engine hours on the EVIC, and divide the odometer mileage by that number. If you come up with around 40 MPH, for example, that car spent most of it's life rolling down the highway, and you're looking at relatively easy miles. 20 MPH, it was probably used in police, taxi, or delivery service, or something similar, in which case, those are harder miles.

Check the car's service history here and here, and remember to ignore anything the dealer tells you.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help, im not car savvy I do IT haha. Can you explain what the EVIC is? Oh and my family has been going to this dealer for 10 years so I'll ask for an out the door price of 10,500 to cover cost of repair. I have about 5800 to lay down. I just really want a charger.

#9 ·
I always Run a carfax and visit a dealership service counter with the VIN and ask for the service records. I have never had one refuse but I always visit in person. If its had warranty work and recalls (or any pending recalls) they will have the info and in most cases any service performed at a dealership.

#11 ·
You want to make sure the tires and brakes still have pretty good life left in them so that you don’t have that expense too soon after buying it. The warranty is probably up on it unless it had an extended warranty? Maybe the dealer can give you an additional 12 month/12,000 mile warranty? It seems like a nice car. The AWD is a nice feature.

#12 ·
Don’t worry too much about mileage IF you’ve got records of a well maintained vehicle.

I just paid cash for a 2008 Lexus GX470 w/169k miles that was meticulously maintained and drives/feels like a new vehicle. I’ve driven vehicles with 50k miles that drive worse. The interior well is meh because Toyota sucks at building interiors (this ones hard plasticy and noisy) but the mechanicals are about as tight and new as you can get for a 12 year old vehicle.

So make sure to get detailed maintenance records, you may have better luck with a privately owned vehicle from one of these MOPAR forums. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.