Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, So i've been noticing a weird burning smell when i go from lets say 20-100 on the highway, ive noticed it a couple of times, im not sure what it is? should i be worried? It goes away after a couple of seconds. i bought my car used from the dodge dealership but before i bought it was owned and used as a company car, hence the excellent condition. bout 22k miles on it

edit: oh yea and i think my left speaker starts to tick after i drive, but thats after 10 mins of crazy driving, then that also stops later. I also believe when the charger was used as a company car, it wasn't abused, so i think im "breaking it in" even though it has 22k miles

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'd inspect around the front of the headers where it connects to the heads, and then further back down to around the cats for any burnt oil on the exhausts pipes. It may be that and speeding accelerates the rate of how quickly it's being burnt off. Sounds like it to me. Fleet cars, who knows. Maybe one of their techs left a oil filter/drain plug loose or double gasketed it, with the oil flinging backwards hitting the exhaust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd inspect around the front of the headers where it connects to the heads, and then further back down to around the cats for any burnt oil on the exhausts pipes. It may be that and speeding accelerates the rate of how quickly it's being burnt off. Sounds like it to me. Fleet cars, who knows. Maybe one of their techs left a oil filter/drain plug loose or double gasketed it, with the oil flinging backwards hitting the exhaust.
So it could be backfire? i hear it sometimes it sounds cool, my friend also heard it as i floored it past him. :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your Charger is backfiring you have issues that need to be looked at. It should never backfire at any time for any reason.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your Charger is backfiring you have issues that need to be looked at. It should never backfire at any time for any reason.
it only happened twice actually out of 1000 miles.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The things I know of right off the top (and I have the weird burning smell under hard acceleration)... The burning smell could be a failing exhaust manifold flange gasket, or unburnt fuel in the catalytic converter due to ignition coils, or it could be an alternator problem. Also and alternator in its last years can and will cause interference sounds through the speakers, though when I heard it in my old avenger it sounded more like a whine with some ticks and would usually change with rpm. If you find out what it is, make sure to come back and let it be known as I'm having that too. I've also heard that trans fluid can have a funny smell when it gets too hot and pressurizes the trans vent tube.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The things I know of right off the top (and I have the weird burning smell under hard acceleration)... The burning smell could be a failing exhaust manifold flange gasket, or unburnt fuel in the catalytic converter due to ignition coils, or it could be an alternator problem. Also and alternator in its last years can and will cause interference sounds through the speakers, though when I heard it in my old avenger it sounded more like a whine with some ticks and would usually change with rpm. If you find out what it is, make sure to come back and let it be known as I'm having that too. I've also heard that trans fluid can have a funny smell when it gets too hot and pressurizes the trans vent tube.

yea i hope it isnt anything to bad, i doubt its the alternator, but i do get speaker ticks, my car only has 23k miles on it

·
Registered
947 Posts
yea i hope it isnt anything to bad, i doubt its the alternator, but i do get speaker ticks, my car only has 23k miles on it
I'm currently in the process of changing all ignition coils trying to track down a certain set of issues right now. I will be getting my manifold flange bolts/but checked and possibly tightened. If it was something even close to catastrophic, there would be a flashing dash light and accompanying code to let you know it needs to be checked out. Which is why my problems are so hard to diagnose, as I have no codes.

Oh yeah before I forget, my belts had a bad smell while...ahem... Breaking in the motor after 500 miles. It smelled like burning paper and soldering flux.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm currently in the process of changing all ignition coils trying to track down a certain set of issues right now. I will be getting my manifold flange bolts/but checked and possibly tightened. If it was something even close to catastrophic, there would be a flashing dash light and accompanying code to let you know it needs to be checked out. Which is why my problems are so hard to diagnose, as I have no codes.

Oh yeah before I forget, my belts had a bad smell while...ahem... Breaking in the motor after 500 miles. It smelled like burning paper and soldering flux.

keep me updated, the burning smell is irritating especially when i go WOT every second.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should not be smelling something burning. I can go WOT all day long on a 9 hour drive with no smell other than my own armpits.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should not be smelling something burning. I can go WOT all day long on a 9 hour drive with no smell other than my own armpits.
do you think it could be my magnaflow mufflers? was doing some research and heard aftermarket mufflers could give a smell too

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
But what model do you have though?

My 06 3.5L has never had that smell but yet my 06 6.1L and 09 6.1L will sometimes have that smell when driving like that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But what model do you have though?

My 06 3.5L has never had that smell but yet my 06 6.1L and 09 6.1L will sometimes have that smell when driving like that.
I've come to a conclusion that it might just oil being burnt from WOT, i've done tons of resrearch, i dont think its anything we should be worried about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you search around, there seems to be a lot of threads with the same issues. I think most times people said it was normal. It was due to the cats working more when at wot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's funny i ran across this post. I never noticed me having the burnt hair dryer type smell the whole time i have owned mine, but i just recently had 1 clogged cat replaced under warranty. Now i can smell it when any heavy acceleration is made, but goes away very shortly after.
Not sure if its the new cat, or same thing with the oil. Unless its mid winter, i do my own oil changes, and usually catch 99% of oil, so there cant be much on the engine at all, at least not enough to burn over and over for weeks. Hum....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Charger R/T. I have a lead foot and always accelerate quickly. In the 3 years I've owned my car I never experienced the burning smell upon hard acceleration until immediately after they replaced my recalled airbag. Just curious if anyone else noticed the smell after having the airbag replaced as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone found the source? My 2016 R/T does the same thing when I accelerate above 100 like for 10 seconds but then goes away the first time It happened I saw a small amount of smoke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts