Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a used 2017 scat pack. The previous owner got in a front end accident that carfax said had less than $500 in damage. The dealer didn’t know the exact damage that was done. I didn’t notice until a few days after purchasing that the hood does not close all the way flush with the bumper. I took it back to the dealer and told them and they agreed and put it in their body shop. A week later, they called me and said they fixed it “about 50%” and that because the hood is aluminum it bends and flexes and there was no way to get it fully flush without making some big “mechanical” changes. I will say they got it 50% closer than it was, however, I know it’s not all the way right. Has anyone had this issue? I’ve attached some pics. This is my first post so hopefully they all work. Do you think this is fixable, or would I have to get a whole new hood??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It's actually not uncommon for 2015-up cars to have that issue. I've seen it on several cars. Some are worse than others. I'm not sure how you would fix it really. It seems like the front bummer needs to raise some.

·
Registered
948 Posts
So it is the hood sticking up over the bumper cover. Is the part that sticks up uniform and even? It looks like the "bulge" is off center?

If the bulge was uniform and centered, I'd say drop the hood latch a little so that it holds the center of the hood a little lower. I am guessing the dealer has already done that though

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it is the hood sticking up over the bumper cover. Is the part that sticks up uniform and even? It looks like the "bulge" is off center?

If the bulge was uniform and centered, I'd say drop the hood latch a little so that it holds the center of the hood a little lower. I am guessing the dealer has already done that though
The gap between the bumper and the hood looks even to me. And it fits flush on the sides of the hood, but that one spot in the picture is raised up higher and if you run your finger from the bumper to the hood your finger will run Into the hood because of it sticking up higher. If you press down on that spot on the actual hood it makes a popping sound like metal does when it has a bend or something in it and you can bend it in either direction.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The front facia is a single unit. Maybe put some kind of brace or spacer under the facia to raise it a smidgen to meet the hood?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I took the car by Pomoco this afternoon and had them look at the hood and bumper. We popped the hood for the first time since i got the car back a month ago and saw that the hood latch is completely bent. In all honesty I didn’t even look at the latch when I bought the car so I don’t know if it was damaged like that when I bought the car or if they bent it in the body shop when they attempted to fix the hood the first time, but it is a significant bend. I called the dealership and they made me an appointment next weekend to look at the car. I was not happy talking to them and realizing this but I told them the car is still under full warranty. I don’t know how all this works with the warranty. If the latch is damaged, and the car is under full warranty, but I bought it in that condition, would it be covered by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't leave us all hanging....did they take care of the bent latch?
Sorry. It’s a long story lol so apparently from what the other person posted our latches look the same so it may not be damaged. However, I took it to the dealer last weekend. I explained all the BS I’ve been through and the assistant GM of the dealership came to talk to me. She also brought the manager of the Body Shop. She was super nice and helpful and basically said she would do whatever I wanted at this point. So I asked about fixing the hood and the body shop guy said he would have to take it to a metal person to try and get the bend out of the hood. They are also replacing the rubber stripping on the edge of the hood underneath because it is falling down. She asked what year the car was and I said 17 and she said the work that has to be done is going to require that part of the hood to be repainted after it is worked on. She said she wouldn’t want to paint the hood and remove the factory paint, but she said their paint at the dealer would be guaranteed for the life of the car. I am currently waiting on the door handle to come in and be replaced and they are going to fix the hood and rubber piece at the same time. Just the fact that I know the bend is there is making me lean towards getting it fixed. It would be a lot more expensive if I decided to fix it longer down the road and had to pay for it myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. I took this up to the GM of the dealership.at this point I had driven over to the dealer 8 times and had a bunch of issues with customer service. She Was a blessing for me.They could not fix the bend in the hood so they ordered me a brand new hood, painted it, and painted my entire front bumper....all for free. The paint is guaranteed for the life of the car also.It looks perfect now! I’m extremely happy with the outcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update. I took this up to the GM of the dealership.at this point I had driven over to the dealer 8 times and had a bunch of issues with customer service. She Was a blessing for me.They could not fix the bend in the hood so they ordered me a brand new hood, painted it, and painted my entire front bumper....all for free. The paint is guaranteed for the life of the car also.It looks perfect now! I’m extremely happy with the outcome.
Awesome result! No way they were going to bend the original to match that result.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i bought a used 2017 scat pack. The previous owner got in a front end accident that carfax said had less than $500 in damage. The dealer didn’t know the exact damage that was done. I didn’t notice until a few days after purchasing that the hood does not close all the way flush with the bumper. I took it back to the dealer and told them and they agreed and put it in their body shop. A week later, they called me and said they fixed it “about 50%” and that because the hood is aluminum it bends and flexes and there was no way to get it fully flush without making some big “mechanical” changes. I will say they got it 50% closer than it was, however, I know it’s not all the way right. Has anyone had this issue? I’ve attached some pics. This is my first post so hopefully they all work. Do you think this is fixable, or would I have to get a whole new hood??
Hi Everyone.
I joined this site specifically to address the problem of the hood front edge not being flush with the bumper fascia.
First a little bit about my vehicle. I bought it in 2016.
Its a 2012 Charger SE
Two days after I got it my girlfriend drove it into the vack of a truck. Complete front was destroyed.
I decided to put a 2016 Charger SRT nose on it. All new mopar parts. I did buy the hid headlights off of ebay.
Once it was done the hood did not sit flush with the bumper. I removed the striker, pushed down. It still did not fit properly. I made a cardboard template of the hood and bumper. Drove to dodge dealer and placed them on a car where everything looked right. The problem was the hood. It wasn't made right.
So here is how it fixed it perfectly.
The hood has the top sheet metal and a lower sheet metal. On the underside in front of the striker is a metal area that goes up to the top sheet metal on an angle of about 60 degrees. That band of metal is too wide.
I used a stone chisel and ground off the sharp edge. I ended up with a heavy duty chisel with an end that was 3/4 inch long and 1/8 inches wide. Using a heavy hammer I began to bend that section on metal starting at the center and working evenly towards the sides. Slowly and evenly checking very often. Helps to have striker removed.
Chisel marks wont be deep. I used some bondo and duplicolor. Can't notice anything. It all came out perfectly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to be clear.
By slightly deforming the section of metal on the underside of the hood, it will very nicely bring the front edge of the hood downwards. Work evenly and feather to each side.
Have hood stricker off so that you can easily open and close the hood to monitor your progress.
Don't be afraid. The topside will not become dented, creased or look bad in any way. The front leading edge will dip to exactly where you want it. You must work slowly and evenly.
I have searched the web. It seems that no one else has done this.
It worked for me perfectly.
Pleass post your results

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just to be clear.
By slightly deforming the section of metal on the underside of the hood, it will very nicely bring the front edge of the hood downwards. Work evenly and feather to each side.
Have hood stricker off so that you can easily open and close the hood to monitor your progress.
Don't be afraid. The topside will not become dented, creased or look bad in any way. The front leading edge will dip to exactly where you want it. You must work slowly and evenly.
I have searched the web. It seems that no one else has done this.
It worked for me perfectly.
Pleass post your results
Creek757
Registered · From Newport News, VA
Joined Feb 22, 2019
Last seen 7 mo ago

It seems unlikely any results will be forthcoming, but your post was still an interesting read!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did other things to make the car as it is today.
Its a 2012. I put a 2016/2017 srt nose on it. Converted the headlight wiring from 4 halogen bulbs to the 2016 hid projector lights and the fog lights too. Capacitors and resistors diodes were installed for everything to work perfectly. I saved my wiring diagrams if anyone needs them. I have a background in mechanical and electrical engineering. I wired the daytime running lamps to not go out when the turn signal is used. And of course they dim when the headlights are actually turned on as they should.
Other things too. But I wont get into those now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i run a body/paint/restoration shop in NOVA and see you have VA plates...i just joined but if you have not gotten resolution, let me know...it's definately not right however from the pics...didn't read all the posts but let me know if you need anything (also do full mechanical ect here)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts