·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I'm thinking about switching my spark plugs to these
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_charger/E3-Dodge-Charger-Spark-Plugs-06-Up-P23178C2309.aspx

How many would I need? I'm not the brightest when it comes to engine's so help is appreaciated. Not to sure if anything would change like they claim but im guessing they'd be better than stock.
You need 16 spark plugs. Listen, I am an auto technician and though I could tell you a lot of things about those plugs I don`t really get into bashing aftermarket makers. I will praise aftermarket items when praise is due. Having said that I can now say this. I would go with factory spark plugs in your 5.7.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I can also add this without being guilty of slander. I have seen those type of plugs end up costing the owners more money due to other parts failing. That`s all I can say. I hope you get my drift.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hope your pockets are deep!

I put platinums in my truck a couple of months ago. Cost over $100, just for the plugs. What you've picked will cost you 16 x $7.98 about $128 before tax.

Did the install myself. #5 and #7 are pretty damn hard to get to behind the brake booster in the truck. Looks like there is more room in the car. The truck had 70,000 miles at the time, help the fuel economy a little, didn't notice a performce change. Good luck.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Interesting?

I can also add this without being guilty of slander. I have seen those type of plugs end up costing the owners more money due to other parts failing. That`s all I can say. I hope you get my drift.
I put Bosch +4 platinums in my truck, was that a mistake? What kinds of failures might I keep an eye out for?

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
What about the iridium Champions, or NGKs?
The resin most change to the iridium plug is when you start adding NOS and heavy mods. and even then they will be running a cooler plug so you don't damage the top's of your piston's or head,s. Sometime's i go with the old saying if it ant broke don't fix it and this is one of those times.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
What makes the Champions different than the others? I heard that Bosch were crap, but everybody seems to like the NGKs.
To be honost with you I haven`t investigated the difference. I just make notes of the failures that I see. Bosch and NGK have the highest failures. Matter of fact I just had a Ford truck with a 4.6 a couple of weeks ago. Mileage was in the 90k range. The guy had changed his own plugs and used the NGKs. He had no problems when he changed them. He said he just knew it was time based on mileage but after a couple of thousand miles with those plugs it started running bad.

He brought it to me and we had to replace all of his plugs, 3 had stopped firing, and one ignition coil. Granted I see the ford coils drop off all the time but never have had to replace motocraft plugs in a ford due to not firing.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
To be honest with you I haven`t investigated the difference. I just make notes of the failures that I see. Bosch and NGK have the highest failures. Matter of fact I just had a Ford truck with a 4.6 a couple of weeks ago. Mileage was in the 90k range. The guy had changed his own plugs and used the NGKs. He had no problems when he changed them. He said he just knew it was time based on mileage but after a couple of thousand miles with those plugs it started running bad.

He brought it to me and we had to replace all of his plugs, 3 had stopped firing, and one ignition coil. Granted I see the ford coils drop off all the time but never have had to replace motocraft plugs in a ford due to not firing.
I've tried a lot of different brands of plugs and I can tell you guy's that I aways went back with the plug that was in the vehicle. Chevy AC, Ford motorcraft or champion, Chrysler Champion, I've 500 hp 454 and still had the best luck over all the manufacture plugs. Plugs are like your oil, If you want optimum performance you need to change them on or before the recommend time.

·
Premium Member
6,222 Posts
What, if any failures have you noted with the Champion Iridium plugs?
To be honost with you I haven`t investigated the difference. I just make notes of the failures that I see. Bosch and NGK have the highest failures. Matter of fact I just had a Ford truck with a 4.6 a couple of weeks ago. Mileage was in the 90k range. The guy had changed his own plugs and used the NGKs. He had no problems when he changed them. He said he just knew it was time based on mileage but after a couple of thousand miles with those plugs it started running bad.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
burkdadhemi is right on it. I changed to Iridium plugs that are two steps cooler due to my nitrous. My SRT8 came with Titanium NGKs. I also changed the gap from 45 to 35 to keep the spark a little further away from the pistons. Once again, due to the nitrous.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.