Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Well when I bought my dodge charger I wasn't thinking about winter! So now here we are! I can't afford winter tires right now and my car is rear wheel. I grew up on rear wheel so I should be able to drive this. However until I can afford new snow tires i remember people putting sand bags in the trunk. I slid into my parking spot yesterday which woke me up to what should i do? So my question is " How many pounds of sand should i use"? I was thinking of 3 - 50lb bags one by each wheel frame and 1 in the middle. Does anyone know soon experience? And don't say tires.. it's not happening this year. I don't drive it much but when i have to any suggestions? Need to know asap! Thank you!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I assume you are not experienced. Practice in the snow will help but 150 lbs won’t help much...especially if it’s icy. Just be careful. Don’t follow too closely or make any sudden stops or turns. You kind of lose control if you stay on the brakes while you are skidding. It will just keep skidding straight in the direction you are going unless you steer out of it. In snow or ice, try to start slowly in 2nd gear from a start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Yes, I did put air in my tires. I don't drive that much or far in bad weather. Usually someone else drives. I just heard I should put something heavy in the trunk. My car is automatic. So I guess I'll just drive carefully as suggested. I remember driving before we had front wheel drive and I'm still here. So I must have done something right. Thank you as I'm not all paranoid now.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am very inexperienced with snow & ice. Should she disable traction control? And what about these cables I see? Not good for much speed I guess? Or junk?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am very inexperienced with snow & ice. Should she disable traction control? And what about these cables I see? Not good for much speed I guess? Or junk?
Why would you consider disabling traction control when you need traction?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol ok thanks everyone. Hellduster ur too funny! I used to live up in them der mountains ( ADK) and learned to drive stick for my first time in an El Camino. My friend took me up a rd and there was a stop sign! That was in the 70's! So ya all can see I'm not a spring chicken on drivin! I also had a 1982 GT 5.0 mustang in the 90's that I had to drive in March in snow a couple times in which I slid all over the place. I decided to come here to this forum to ask the "experts" what they thought about how to be safer in my charger. I have heard so many things I'm dizzier than a coon with his tail caught in an elevator! I live near Buffalo Ny not in it but near! My car is from CA and never seen snow.. its 99% rust free! Brand new underneath! I had a 2000 Avalon Toyota rust bucket and came upon this great deal. I'm a mustang girl but this car was so sweet and a female owned it b4 me so it's a sweet ride! I'm a young harley riding , snowmobiling, 4 wheelin crazy woman all my life! I'm not dumb. I just haven't driven a rear wheel in ages and I can't afford tires but I can check tire guys out here! Thanks for reminding me of used tire places! I know that will help. But I'm on a fixed income and had my chitlins and grand chitlins to get xmas gifts for so I'm kinda broke! Since wrecking my back and have a metal implant put in I'm not working anymore and just want to enjoy the rest of my life like the first part and have some fun!!! So I bought this beautiful black 2010 ( that was purchased in 2011) awesome car! That I'm not planning in driving that much in this crappy stuff! But thanks everyone I will keep tallin up the comments for any more good stuff! 👍👍p.s. I'm not disabling anything tho. My kitty car drives perrrrfect without me messin with it .. 👍

·
Registered
254 Posts
Why would you consider disabling traction control when you need traction?
traction control cuts power almost like turning the engine off...last thing you need when trying to get up a steep hill...nothing like almost stopping right in the middle..used to be a time when peeps had traction control in their right foot...if you don't, then by all means leave traction control on..

·
Registered
755 Posts
Seems like traction control should help keep the tires from spinning. If your tires are spinning going up a steep hill, you are not going to make it either way unless you have momentum. If you have momentum, it’s not going to cut power to the engine as bad as “...almost turning the engine off.” I believe traction control should help reduce spinning and help keep it going straight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I really can't say much about TC in my AWD Charger...the garage queen has never been in the snow.. but my Chevy completely lifts off the gas when the tires start spinning , even in 4WD, and any momentum is instantly lost..TC is useless and I always turn if off when trying to get up a slick hill..I have spent my whole life climbing steep hills in the snow and you must keep power to the tires..lifting is just giving up..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts