Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around to replacing mine. Thanks to everyone here on the Z that has loaded pictures and offered suggestions which that gave me the confidence to give it a try. I'm not a professional mechanic, just an average guy that loves doing anything that involves spending time with the car.

I encourage anyone considering doing this themselves to do so. While the photos can be intimidating, it's not hard. I took the extra time to record the project in hopes that it will also help what others have already posted. If anyone has anything to add or critique, please feel free to comment.

Did you run into any issues putting the shifter assembly back together with the shifter not in drive? We couldnt get the damn thing to lock properly and noticed in the bt video that they had it drive. Did it like that and it worked.
YouTube - Park Interlock.wmv[/URL]

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
REPs brother!!!!!!!!!!

·
Getting back in the game!
37,448 Posts
Man, I have replaced 3 of these so far and would have loved to watch your video before hand! :TU: Mad reps coming, brother! :rep:

·
Staffing since 2008
20,667 Posts
Thats an excellent write up bro, major rep coming atcha. Im not sure if I heard it, but did you run into any issues putting the shifter assembly back together with the shifter not in drive?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats an excellent write up bro, major rep coming atcha. Im not sure if I heard it, but did you run into any issues putting the shifter assembly back together with the shifter not in drive?
Thankfully, no. I must have missed that tip. What is supposed to happen if you don't?

·
Staffing since 2008
20,667 Posts
I dont know, we couldnt get the damn thing to lock properly and noticed in the bt video that they had it drive. Did it like that and it worked.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thank you for this video!! I have wanted to do this mod but didn't know how to proceed. I will be ordering the part soon. Reps to ya.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great vid bro thanks. Just got my Charger today gonna take care of this soon I guess b4 i get stranded in the boonies.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great vid bro thanks. Just got my Charger today gonna take care of this soon I guess b4 i get stranded in the boonies.

Congrats on that! Youre in for lot of fun!

Great video!!!:rep: I stuck the thread for easy finding!

Cool. Maybe it will persuade a few to go ahead and do the repair before they get stranded.

As I've already said, if anyone wants to post up things I may have done wrong or ideas that could make job easier, post 'em up and I'll add them to the first post.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Nice video, Jim. Very informative.:TU:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Great vid. Wish I'd had it when I swapped mine out. Reps coming your way.

BTW, you may want to make a note that all gear shift knobs do not unscrew. I'm not sure which years do and which don't but maybe someone else will chime in. Mine is a 2006 and it did unscrew but I'd hate to see someone cause some damage to thiers if it doesn't.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
that is definitively an excellent "How too". The reps are more then worth it for that!!:TU:

Edit: Damn it!! You are too good man, I already give you to much reps!!!!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice video, Jim. Very informative.:TU:
Thanks, bro. You should do one on those tail lights.

Great vid. Wish I'd had it when I swapped mine out. Reps coming your way.

BTW, you may want to make a note that all gear shift knobs do not unscrew. I'm not sure which years do and which don't but maybe someone else will chime in. Mine is a 2006 and it did unscrew but I'd hate to see someone cause some damage to thiers if it doesn't.
Crap... I guess there is a time limit because I can't edit my post to include your comment. Hopefuly, someone else can do it.

that is definitively an excellent "How too". The reps are more then worth it for that!!:TU:

Edit: Damn it!! You are too good man, I already give you to much reps!!!!
Ha! Don't worry about it. Post a nice beach pic and we'll call it even!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
OUTSTANDING VIDEO!!!!!!! thanks for sharing that. I will be taking those steps on two R/Ts next week. don't wanna leave anyone stranded!

REPS!!!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OUTSTANDING VIDEO!!!!!!! thanks for sharing that. I will be taking those steps on two R/Ts next week. don't wanna leave anyone stranded!

REPS!!!
Thanks. Good luck with it.. if you find any ways to make it easier, post 'em up.

Does this issue still happen to more recent model chargers?
I don't know for sure. seems to mostly be 06 and 07 models in the "failure" thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There was a redesign in '08, so they wont have this problem.

I have an issue though, maybe someone can help:
2006 Dodge Charger Key release cable adjustment: anyone know how to adjust the cable that releases the key? See the attached Picture.

After replacing the pink thingy, the car key will not move into the lock position until I push the cable towards the front of the car with my fingers. there is a white enclosure on this cable. I need to adjust it so that I can turn the key to lock without having to manipulate the cable manually. any ideas on how to do this?

Attachments

·
Staffing since 2008
20,667 Posts
There is a clip on the white piece that holds the cable. Pull that off, pull the cable out a bit, and slap that clip back on. Try this till it finally releases.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts