Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my write-up on how to use the hood switch to trigger your underhood lighting. I will be connecting my the LED's from my brand new KillerGlass.

Things you will need:
The usual tools; crimpers, screwdrivers, 10mm & 13mm socket.
Four prong relay
Wire
Split loom
Electrical connectors; females, butt connectors, eyelets
Bacardi and Coke

Step one: Remove the two fasteners that hold down this grille.

--------------------------------
Step two: Remove the grille and this bolt (13mm).

---------------------------
Step three: Remove this contraption. You only need to remove the harness from the plunger.

-------------------------
Step four: We need to splice into this top wire (purple/lt blue).

------------------------
Step five: Normally I don't like to use these type of connectors but in this case they work boss.

---------------------
Step six: Replace the bracket.

-------------------
Step seven: Feed the wire through the body like so. I used a roll of solder to pull it through. By doing this you can get the wire all the way to the fuse box without it being exposed.

------------------------
Step eight: Here's where it may get tough to follow but I will do my best. After feeding that wire through, cut it to about 10" long and crimp a female onto it. After that, make a wire like below. All it is is a 10" piece of wire with a female crimped on with a 2" jumper coming off of that with another female.

---------------------
Step nine: Grab your relay and connect the wires as shown. Disregard the middle prong (87a) of the relay; I happened to have a five prong relay on hand so that's what I used. You should hear the relay click once connected. This means it's working.

---------------------------
Step ten: Mount your relay. I used one of the bolts that fastens the fuse box to the body.

Step eleven: Ground the negative side of your lights. I used this spot.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step twelve: Crimp a female on to the positive side of your lights and then plug it in to 87 on the relay. Your lights should come on.

Thirteenth step: Test it out. Press the hood switch to see if they go off.

Step fourteen: If it works your good to go. You still need to throw on some split loom and such but you're on your own with that.

Q&A

Q: What's the purpose of the relay?
A: The relay will engage when it receives negative voltage from the hood switch (hood open) and complete the circuit which turns on the lights. With the hood closed, the relay breaks the circuit, turning off the lights

Q: Why can't I connect my lights directly to the switch instead of using a relay?
A: Inside the switch, there is a small diode that keeps a small mount of negative current running. If you connected it directly to the negative side of your lights, they would stay on (very dim) even with the hood closed; thus, the relay is needed.

Q: I hear a "clicking" noise from the relay when I operate the hood switch, is this normal?
A: Yes, the relay is operating correctly.

Q: Can I use a five prong relay like you did?
A: Sure, just ignore the middle prong (87a).

Q: Where can I buy a relay?
A: They are very common and can be found at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Very cool. Reps for the write-up!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Really cool how to! Love it. Can't give you reps...... not because I don't want but it seems I already give to too much before!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Nice write up bro...:TU:

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Nice write up.:TU:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice write up with great pictures to boot.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Great write up bro! Gonna have to ask you to help me out when I get mine.

·
Getting back in the game!
37,448 Posts
Great write up, bro! I like it! :TU:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Reps for the great write-up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very cool idea, if only my car had a underhood light,switch, or grill cover.2008 R/T why is this? a friend that i work with has a Daytona R/T and his doesnt have one either? u would think that it would be standard equiptment.

·
Registered
747 Posts
"IF" you don't have a factory underood light switch........ Install your own aftermarket (door type switch) underhood switch and this way you can eliminate installing the relay. This will take some "thinking/doing" depending on the type of activation switch being used.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool idea, if only my car had a underhood light,switch, or grill cover.2008 R/T why is this? a friend that i work with has a Daytona R/T and his doesnt have one either? u would think that it would be standard equiptment.
Your Charger doesn't have this switch?

"IF" you don't have a factory underood light switch........ Install your own aftermarket (door type switch) underhood switch and this way you can eliminate installing the relay. This will take some "thinking/doing" depending on the type of activation switch being used.
Well if you don't want to use the relay, want an easier method or if you have a factory remote start system...try this..

[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-hood-switch-turn-on-your-underhoo/[/URL]

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Mine has the grille but no switch either. (Always half-wondered what that hole was for.) Like Chuckster said... That's easily resolved.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Mine has the grille but no switch either. (Always half-wondered what that hole was for.) Like Chuckster said... That's easily resolved.

Mine has no switch either, but like has been said, THAT can be remedied. :D

Great writeup and pictures! I'll be looking into that. Your attention to detail (like running the wire so it would be out of sight) is great too!

Thanks for posting, Bill :TU:

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Got my switch Thursday and lights came in yesterday(thanks AAC). Still have to pick up the relay but will try this tomorrow if I get some car time. Thanks again for the write-up on the wiring.

My challenge is going to be concealing everything without touching the existing wires or drilling holes. I've already figured out how to get to the fusebox without notice and I think I've found a home for the relay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts