Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Charger 5.7L, and my son has an 09 SRT8 Challenger. He has broken off his engine dipstick handle once already, and I can see it is going to happen to me, too, soon if I don't fix it first. It seems to stick much worse when the engine is hot. I'm tired of only being able to check the oil level when it is cold. I think the best way to fix it would be to have some kind of an expanding mandrel to open up the end of the tube just a couple of 0.001". Can anybody suggest how to do this?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I had the same thing and it snapped. Dip sticks are cheap. I got one at the dealership. You may read how some replacements have markings that are different than OE that would have you 1/2 quart low.
This is why I went to the dealership but it was the same issue. I just got a small drift punch and transferred my stick to the new ring handle. Its all good now hot or cold.

I wouldn't expand the tube. And I'm not sure which is the problem when hot, the plastic or o-ring, but it was fun to remove.
I got a small sheet metal screw hot enough to thread into the plastic and let it cool. Then cooled the tube end with a cold water rag and it pulled out like new.

For now I would stop checking it warm. Good luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I haven't experienced this problem with a Dodge product, but if I did, I think I'd just make a cut across the end of the tube, so that it would be able to expand a bit on its own, as needed.

If it over-expanded a bit and "popped out", I'd cut a piece of hose or an old spark plug boot to give it a snug, but easily removed friction fit.

I do have this issue on a Ford 4.6. I just use a little silicone grease on the tube.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The tube is not the problem but if you would like to make it a part of it alter it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you Google it you will find your not alone. Plenty of removal techniques and episodes.
If you amazon the dip stick you can see reviews speaking of the different oil level makings.
It think I posted my experience on the other forum, maybe 1.5 years ago.
So far its free hot or cold with the new ring.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I only checked mine a few times when level, since my driveway is angled. Now that I know it is full, I check it on an angle and remember the new level. When mine is at the top of the "Safe Zone" on level ground, it is at the bottom of it overnight in my driveway. Plus, it hasn't used a drop yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yup..she doesn't burn a drop between changes..not like the 440 in my old '66 Chrysler 300 which ate a quart every 1000 K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts