Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a spot to put my gps last week and really wanted to make it fit in the sunglasses holder while still being able to close it and hide my gps away. I did some research and found some pictures to go by but no real guide so I am going to attempt to make one.

This is my first guide but I will see what I can do. Also I took the pictures after the install and quickly as I was in a rush so if more are needed or anything just ask.

The gps I used is the TomTom 350-M XL but any that is the same size or smaller should work.

First I just removed the sunglass holder which is the whole top unit. I do not have a guide for the removal of the top unit if it has a sunroof button or any other buttons (onstar, navigation, ect)

I just use a Cat key I had in my car and it poped right off.

There is 3 clips that hold it in there. After you get it out just disconnect any wires and we can start the dremel/sanding proccess.

I dont have any pictures of the dremel/sanding process but I shaded in the areas I dremeled with red. I dremeled as close to the edge as I could then sanded the rest down with what I believe was 220 grit sand paper if I can remember correctly.

I tore out the black foam backing and replaced with with some of my own that I had to cut the middle out since the back of my gps isnt all flat. I just glued it in there, it doesnt look the best when the gps is off but you dont even see it when the gps is in there (which it always is).

Now for the wire.

I spliced into the front cigarrette lighter wire and ran a cigarrette lighter extention you can buy from Canadian Tire for like $10. I dont have any picture of that but I am sure you can find a guide for it on here, if not I can make one.

I ran the wire up the drivers side pillar then acrost the roof, the pictures I include should give a good picture of how I did it.

Pop the bottom cover off

Pop the middle cover off

Remove the cover below the wheel by removing the 2 screws. The one I circled and then the other is below, which is easy to find. After that you just give it a gentle pull. It is held in by a couple of the same clips that where in the sunglass holder.

Here is where I started to run my GPS charging wire. It plugged into the cigarrette lighter extention that then ran to the actual cigarrette lighter wire (confused?:4-dontknow:)

I then ran the wire up the left side pillar

Then acrost the roof

To get the wire into the sunglass holder you will have to drill a hole, The hole will have to be big enough for the chargers plug to squeze through.

I then used some sticky velcro and put it on the back of my gps and the foam in the sunglass (now gps) holder. This is so you can remove it when you need to update the maps or put it in another vehicle.

And thats it. You now have a gps that you can keep closed away in the sunglassed holder. When you need to use it you can flip the holder down and there it is, ready for use. I ran my power wire to a switch so I can flip the switch and it turns on, flip the switch off to kill its power.

I stupidly didnt take a picture of the gps installed in the sunglass holder but I will get that on here tomorrow.

Hope this helps someone! ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My switch above the cigarrette ligher

Reactions: Finch23

·
Premium Member
7,551 Posts
Now that was a well detailed writeup! That's a perfect place for the GPS.
Gotta give you reps for that!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Real busy lately so I just got some pictures of the final gps install uploaded.

The cord does tuck away but it pops out sometimes too :4-dontknow:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts