Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son needs my help on replacing the factory shift knob. He has gotten a Smith & Wesson pistol grip shifter to replace the factory one. He has and 07 automatic. How do I take the factory shift knob off? Is it an easy install? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
My son needs my help on replacing the factory shift knob. He has gotten a Smith & Wesson pistol grip shifter to replace the factory one. He has and 07 automatic. How do I take the factory shift knob off? Is it an easy install? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Somebody will chime in soon bud, i have been curious about this as well. i dont want to break anything when im trying to remove mine.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
It is either a screw off or it has the allen screw holding it in. You should be able to pop the plastic chrome piece off and see which one it is. I thought the 07' was screw off though.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
The 06 is a screw off type but I don't really know about the 07.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know this is bring up an old thread, but I need some advice.

I done a search on how to remove the knob and it showed this one.

It tells about a 2006, but I have a 2007. His pics show to pry the ring down and it unscrews. My question is, does a '07 remove the same way?

I've come up with an idea for a mod (which I'll share when complete) and I need to remove the shifter knob. It may take me a while, but this is my start.

I appreciate your help! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't vouch for the 07 but I have a 2010 and you just push the metallic piece at the bottom of the knob down, pry the white retainer piece off, and then pull the knob straight up. Super easy.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
If I remember correctly it changed mid year in 07, some twist off and some have the chrome ring that you pry down and then lift the nob off.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
OK. I have a 2007 and actually just replaced my knob this weekend. On my 2007, I had to pry off the bottom silver piece and then unscrew the know. It seems that the 06 and the 07 have the screw in knob. Install took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Anyone change one on a 2010 SE? Is the Shifter Shaft Threaded?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMFG, please please. Just FYI, on the 14 Charger, AFTER you pry down the chromed plastic collar (I used a dull butter knife), if you look at the base of the shift knob, you will see a yellow tab. This is a flat pin that is folded to fit snug in the hole that goes THROUGH the shifter post. NO amount of pulling is going to remove the knob, you will bust a gut first, I know I almost did. Pull out the pin with a pair of needlenose, and then the knob with pop right off with hardly any effort.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE MENTIONED THIS BEFORE I ALMOST HURT MYSELF!

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
OMFG, please please. Just FYI, on the 14 Charger, AFTER you pry down the chromed plastic collar (I used a dull butter knife), if you look at the base of the shift knob, you will see a yellow tab. This is a flat pin that is folded to fit snug in the hole that goes THROUGH the shifter post. NO amount of pulling is going to remove the knob, you will bust a gut first, I know I almost did. Pull out the pin with a pair of needlenose, and then the knob with pop right off with hardly any effort.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE MENTIONED THIS BEFORE I ALMOST HURT MYSELF!
You should have come here and asked, we have a few threads on this subject for your year of car.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Reactions: Firstgenfan
1 - 19 of 19 Posts