Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a few pics and make a small writeup on how and where to install the HP Tuners Smart Access cable to bypass the security module when using HP Tuners/VCM Suite. The security module is located on the driver side under the dash right above the OBD2 port. You'll need to remove the driver side dash panel and it exposes two 7mm screws that hold the lower dash beneath the steering column in place. Just a need a 7mm socket and trim removal tool.

There weren't any videos or decent installation pics showing the location of the security module on the Dodge Charger models and people were thinking its the same location as the Challenger, which its not.
The challenger module is located behind/below the Infotainment/Uconnect screen.

The smart access cable is required on the 2018+ Charger and Challenger variants as a permanent bypass when using HP Tuners. You have to use this cable in order to READ the stock PCM/TCM file, as well as any tune changes, and flashing a new tune file.

Hope this helps anyone who has had trouble locating the Security Module on the Charger models.

Most importantly, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Remove side panel, exposing two 7mm screws.

Use trim tool to unclip the lower dash section under the steering column. The Security module is behind the yellow connector above the OBD2 port.

Security module shown with QR labels.

Unplug the top connector harness on the security module. The heat-shrinked side of the Smart Access cable will attach to this connector shown.

Plug in the smart access cable connector into the security module top port, and that's it.

Once the Smart Access cable is installed, you can now install the MPVI2 into the OBD2 port in order to pull your stock tune files from the ECU and TCU using VCM Suite. This process takes around 10 minutes.

Make sure before you do a pull on the stock read tune/file, that you resync the interface within VCM Suite which is located on the "Help" drop down box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a video of the installation if the pictures weren't enough.

Reactions: tacamo01

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.
My car: Charger GT (2019).
I found the SGW unit, and using the "FCA 12 + 8" adapter connected it via "ELS23".
Soft: AlfaOBD for PC.

Please tell, if I change the "Country Code" in the "Body Computer", will the Radio for Europe change, and the language will change to the selected one in AlfaOBD?
Could there be a problem with the computer if I do this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts