Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove through a puddle the other day and my Charger stalled out and died and wouldn't restart. We were told that the engine got water in it and hydrolocked and it's now in the shop getting a new engine. The owner of the tow service and our insurance adjuster both told my husband that Chargers are notorious for this issue because of a flaw in the engine because something (the air intake? I'm not even sure) is at the bottom of the engine. I've tried to research it but haven't really found anything to validate what they say. Is this actually an issue with Chargers more than with other cars?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me.

My Charger has the air intake at the bottom of the airbox. That's lower than many cars, but only by a few inches.

Even so, if you're going through water deep enough to reach the bottom of your airbox, you've got other problems...that's halfway up your doors.

As a practical matter, I can't see water ingestion as a problem unless you're hitting standing water at high speed, and you're running without your splash shield.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not ever have had that issue!! I've driven mine through some fierce ass thunderstorms and NEVER had any issues with my car stalling or getting that lockup!! Think they are filling you with some good ol fashion manure!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
This happened to my wife in our '88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. The water wasn't even that deep, and she was going slow, but she got "gushed" (as she put it). A car in the other lane drove by way too fast and pushed a wave of water over the entire front of the car. She said she was okay on that one, but then someone came by and did it again, and that was it. The car died right there. Did not need a new engine, but it did cost a bit (insurance) to get it going again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts