Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I went to the drag races and I sit there and "count" and try and time the starts on the tree.

Mind you I am sitting in the stands.

I want to and and I got to do this soon or else I am going to commit myself to the crazy house from spectator anxiety.

:vis:

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Ain't nothing to it but to do it. Your first time you'll be nervous, after take off you'll be excited, when your lining back up you'll be thinking what was I so nervous about, this is fun and I WANT MORE!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure as much but I was thinking of the SRT experience first. I just think I need some real skills before I do this.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
It's really not that hard and everone who does it had to learn somehow. Besides, even the Pro's cut a bad light (slow reaction time) and red light sometimes. Jump in there and go for it.:D

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Its real easy, you just do a little burn out after the water for street tires. Then pull up slowly to stage, there are two sets of lights at the top of the tree. When all four are lit you are staged.. In most test and tune racing just launch on the third yellow light.. Keep your foot down and enjoy...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUT....

The local track is a 1/8 mile track.

Yes. I am a total nervous wreck when I watch and think about doing this. I need to learn the shift points first right?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
and don't drive thru the water if you have street tires go around it. Experience at the track doing it will be best. besides if I was going to SRT experience, I'd want to be all trained up on the 1/4 before I go. That way (and this is if I was you) I'd want to show all the boys up with my skillzzz

·
Stirring the Pot!
4,706 Posts
You won't learn much about drag racing at the SRT experience. Just do it.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Your first time keep ESP on and keep it in " D ". then after you get the feel, then start messing with ESP and auto stick. and don't worry about haulling ass, just go thru the motions then start picking up the speed,

BUT....

Yes. I am a total nervous wreck when I watch and think about doing this. I need to learn the shift points first right?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess everyone has a different view on getting ready for it.

I plan on having this as one of my Gatty mods....lol

I admit though on the interstate I go for it. But doing it on a track for some reason intimidates the hell out of me.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
BUT....

Same principles apply. I've only run on 1/8 mile tracks. Plus with our cars, I'm pretty sure the transmission will upshift for you before you can overrev it as long as you haven't used the Predator to play with your shift points (if that's possible). You can do it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same principles apply. I've only run on 1/8 mile tracks. Plus with our cars, I'm pretty sure the transmission will upshift for you before you can overrev it as long as you haven't used the Predator to play with your shift points (if that's possible). You can do it.
Thats good to know.

I just run the 93 oct tune on the predator. I don't even have a clue as to what division I ask to run in. I guess next week I could talk to one of the operators at the track.

Funny thing is ...some of the patrons there are starting to know me by my car and with it being dusk I roll in with the halo's on. I guess they are starting to expect it.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Thats good to know.

I just run the 93 oct tune on the predator. I don't even have a clue as to what division I ask to run in. I guess next week I could talk to one of the operators at the track.

Funny thing is ...some of the patrons there are starting to know me by my car and with it being dusk I roll in with the halo's on. I guess they are starting to expect it.
I'd bet that most of the regulars or the track operators would be glad to help you since they see you there often.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Just do it!!! Good Luck and have someone record it for the Z!

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you go on a test and tune night, They'll probably have them lined up by lane (IE - full slick dragster, full slick street car, street tire street car, and motorcycles Etc). All you do is pull into the correct lane and wait your turn.

My local track (Milan) is a NHRA track and the poeple are 50/50. Some are real nice, others are useless gasbags. Just hop in and do it, once you go it's much easier and fun. Don't worry about going fast - just get to the big end and get your slip (everyone is slow at first, so don't sweat it).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Just do it!!! I raced motorcycles some 20 yrs ago and just recently went to the track, I was nerveous as heck but after a few runs I was relaxed. It takes practice, practice, practice....I'm still practicing. If I can do it with handcontrols (I'm a paraplegic), you can definitely do it. Just go out and have fun.:TU: DO IT!!!:Racing: Then let us know how it went.:D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just go for it girlie, I raced bikes for awhile but have never raced a car, but any how, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile all the same things apply just a longer track. if ya want, you can look up ORP and come up here to Indy I know they have open track alot up here, we could get together and go and I could run my charger a bit.. lol.

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
Hey sis.....Go for it and have some fun!!!
The hubby and I went racin' yesterday at the 1/8 mile track. We had a blast Just watch the tree it's easy. I've always watch for the 3rd yellow light when it goes on, I go!! It could have been better yesterday but I did an .051 light...
It just messes me up when I try to watch all the lights come down. I just watch for the 3rd one and go!!!

Have fun...!:TU:

·
Registered
649 Posts
c'mon now.......... you know what??? (see pic for rest)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts