Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone Noob here,

In 2010 i went to the doge dealership looking to get a dodge avenger, i had recently rented one and enjoyed it. the salesman said we just had a charger returned on leased and this is def more your store. And he couldn't have been more right i loved the car. and kept it until 2018.

It was great power distribution was amazing in the winters, had just enough built in add ons. but after 8 years and a good amount of miles it was time for an upgrade. so i went with the 2014 dodge charger in pretty much the same color. the only added benefit differences is the dvd player. a bit better sound system and a little more power.

winter of 2018 was a light winter I didn't have major issues. bought a house this past year on a hill. and a small hill may i add. and i got stuck 12 different times this charger is RWD and horrible in the winter. my dad owns an auto shop and recommended i get new tires, he said tires make the difference so i went and got 4 new tires. i noticed the new feature that was not on my 2010 but is on my 2014 traction control moderator to reduce fishtailing needs to be turned off manually every time i start the car in the winter otherwise i get stuck easier. And even with the new tires still horrible up and down hills.

now i am originally from Massachusetts and am used to hard winters. here in Kansas city this past winter was just like a winter in mass but again the car stinks.

I am considering trading my car in before this winter, any suggestions? For 1 AWD will be my next investment no matter what i get. I still enjoy the charger non winter its sizable and comfortable and gives me great highway mileage. while potentially staying in the Dodge family i have considered a ram extended cab 1500, or a AWD challenger. thoughts options?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have an awd 2015 charger and it's a tank in the snow, I have zero complaints. I'm assuming the 2010 wasn't AWD?!? And there really isn't much difference between the 2010 and 2014 if both are RWD. It could be possible one car is an open differential verses limited slip and this could be causing your traction issues. But with that said, the AWD far better than the RWD in the snow. And as far as mileage, the AWD is RWD when conditions are right and AWD when needed so mileage isn't much different.

Ultimately it's your choice but if it was me, I'd go for AWD and get the charger for the extra room.

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My '14 AWD R/T Plus is also a tank in the snow, and recently this past winter here, a couple of instances we got hit with a ton of wet snow, that previously had moisture on the roads that froze underneath due to below freezing temps, and my car (of course sporting Blizzak tires, and coupled w/the wonderful AWD system) got me everywhere I needed to go without fail, without getting me stuck, and without ANY issues...at all!! Whereas, I would pass even the most expensive SUV's and 4WD trucks, hell even a few Subies on the sides of the road...stuck or in a ditch. Now, I'm no stranger to driving RWD cars in snow as I'm probably a wee bit older than you and have had a lot of experiences with driving nitrous & high WHP RWD cars in NY, PA. winters, and your daddy is correct...TIRES (correct tires mind you, ie: dedicated Snow tires for winter driving) coupled with safe and practical driving habits, are key and will allow you to fully drive really ANY RWD, AWD, 4WD, or 2WD vehicle in any weather condition that hits.

Don't know what tires you had on the '14 of yours, but bet they were shitty tires and probably not dedicated snow tires...or it was the driver....just sayin...

**Side note, just for fun, a couple of days I even put my car into Force RWD mode and shut the traction off completely just for fun and to see what she would do, and was STILL able to drive where I needed to go and got home safely....just my poorly told story and my broke ass half .01

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There are also vids on youtube that show (from the driver's perspective) Challenger and Charger SRT's and Scat RWD's driving in snowy and not-so-ideal conditions....now I'm not saying that it's perfect and that these cars can't or won't get stuck, or not be able to drive in certain conditions, but just speaking from experience and owner's perspective and maybe it's just been my luck all these years to not have much issues....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts