Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, in May I went for a routine oil change not expecting anything major, I only had 19,456 miles on my vehicle. After about an hour the service advisor came to get me and said he had something to show me that I had been a “bad girl”. He walked me over to my vehicle and asked me if I noticed anything wrong with my rotors, I chose not to engage with his semantics and simply stated whatever the issue is please just explain it to me. So he says that I must have been racing my vehicle because I need new rotors and new pads all the way around. The rear rotors have a groove or a lip around the center and near the top of the rotors, and the front rotors are warped, the pads were worn down but with enough surface to hold off on replacing them.

Has anyone else out there with the same model year run into this issue with so few miles on their vehicle?

A family member of mine has a 2017 SXT and they just got their brakes replaced when they hit 50,000 miles which makes sense for their situation, they commute for work all over the place. As for Myself prior to the month of May, I drove 10 miles a day round trip for work. I don’t drive my car hard, while I do enjoy the speed this vehicle offers I choose not to engage in anything to unsafe or unpredictable. I’m a commercial driver and I would like to maintain my commercial drivers license ;-)

I know keeping everything stock and purchasing parts from a reliable Internet source or from the dealer is expensive, but for now I would like to keep everything stock on my vehicle until the warranty runs out. Would it be worth my while to attempt to speak to the person in charge of a service department to see if they would cut me a deal? Or perhaps with the dealership itself to look into why I might be needing a replacement like this so soon?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has any questions I will answer them to the best of my ability I am by no means a mechanic but I’m open to learning as I go.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Did you buy the car used? If so, the previous owner might have romped hard on the brakes a time or two, but from what you are saying that you drive, and how you drive the vehicle, no way do you need new rotors or that they would be warped in anyway! Think the shop was trying to get you...do you notice any issues when braking (ie: shudders at all, squealing sounds, steering vibrations of any kind, loose grip which equates to having to push the pedal to the floor to brake, etc..?) That will tell you more than what that asshat was telling you....and there could be all kinds of variables within this issue...but generally speaking, unless you are really working the brakes constantly, and doing hard braking from 80+ MPH constantly, you shouldn't need to do the brakes for a while..especially if they are the stock rotors/pads...but like I said, depends on the variables...

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately I bought the car brand new it only had 45 miles on it at the time of purchase. I’ve only romped on it a few times when I first got it because this is my first V-8 and of course I had to see what it could do :) Generally, I drive 70 to 75 mph on the freeway and about 5 mph above the posted speed limit when I’m driving through a town or city. Barring any morons out there who think they’re driving at the Daytona 500 I try not to make abrupt hard stops and to gradually slow down as much as possible. Since my visit to that dealership I haven’t noticed anything major, some squeaking here and there but nothing consistent. I have had brakes go out on other vehicles, I’ve heard what grinding sounds like and how brake fade feels, fortunately as of right now I haven’t experienced either. I am planning on taking it to another dealership this week. I have moved out of that area to a more populated area with higher volume dealerships I’m hoping that that might make a difference with the customer service I hope to receive. The previous dealership service department printed out an estimate work order for me and it was going to cost me $1,700 plus taxes to get this done. o_O

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Fortunately I bought the car brand new it only had 45 miles on it at the time of purchase. I’ve only romped on it a few times when I first got it because this is my first V-8 and of course I had to see what it could do :) Generally, I drive 70 to 75 mph on the freeway and about 5 mph above the posted speed limit when I’m driving through a town or city. Barring any morons out there who think they’re driving at the Daytona 500 I try not to make abrupt hard stops and to gradually slow down as much as possible. Since my visit to that dealership I haven’t noticed anything major, some squeaking here and there but nothing consistent. I have had brakes go out on other vehicles, I’ve heard what grinding sounds like and how brake fade feels, fortunately as of right now I haven’t experienced either. I am planning on taking it to another dealership this week. I have moved out of that area to a more populated area with higher volume dealerships I’m hoping that that might make a difference with the customer service I hope to receive. The previous dealership service department printed out an estimate work order for me and it was going to cost me $1,700 plus taxes to get this done. o_O
Gotcha...yeah, sounds like you should def shop around at some other locations, or even source out a good reputable shop as hell, If I were there, I'd do it for you for 2 cases of Blue Moon! If your brakes grip and stop you fairly well, then you should be still good for a while, but for safety sake, maybe go to a few places and see what they all collectively say..but don't exactly point to any issues as they will usually just tell you that they need to be replaced even when they don't. This is where you exercise good gut instincts...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definitely appreciate that if you were nearby :D Hell I would even like to learn how to do those things myself so I don’t have to pay a shop to do a brake pad replacement etc.

I’m hoping to find some reputable shops, I’m sure there might even be some Mopar certified service centers around here, if that’s a legitimate thing. I just don’t want do anything to void any part of my warranty while I am still within the mileage and timeframe range. Would it be possible to find OEM parts cheaper online and then take them to the dealership and have them do the install etc possibly working @ a reduced rate? or am I reaching for the stars with that ? Or would it be within reason to buy OEM parts online and find a reputable shop to install them? I’ve read some of the warranty information and I’m just trying to work within that for the time being.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would definitely appreciate that if you were nearby :D Hell I would even like to learn how to do those things myself so I don’t have to pay a shop to do a brake pad replacement etc.

I’m hoping to find some reputable shops, I’m sure there might even be some Mopar certified service centers around here, if that’s a legitimate thing. I just don’t want do anything to void any part of my warranty while I am still within the mileage and timeframe range. Would it be possible to find OEM parts cheaper online and then take them to the dealership and have them do the install etc possibly working @ a reduced rate? or am I reaching for the stars with that ? Or would it be within reason to buy OEM parts online and find a reputable shop to install them? I’ve read some of the warranty information and I’m just trying to work within that for the time being.
Totally get that, and brakes are not that bad/difficult to do...and here is one of the best resources for one whom wants to learn. I love and enjoy doing all the work myself to my car(s)..it's like my therapy and my comfort place!

It all depends upon the shop, all shops are going to get you with the labor $, but you might save some $ by purchasing the OEM parts online and then having a shop do the install, and obviously the shorter time taken the less $ they will charge. You can find some really good and in-depth tutorials and vids on youtube for installing yourself...let me know if you have any questions at all, and I'll do my best to answer in the best of my abilities :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
The previous dealership service department printed out an estimate work order for me and it was going to cost me $1,700 plus taxes to get this done. o_O
If that's just for front and rear pads and rotors, then yeah, you should probably shop around. This would be a good time to look for a reputable independent shop. I just paid a hair under $500 for the same job, including flushing with Pentosin Super DOT4.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Warped rotors eh? Suuuuurrrre. First of all if you had warped rotors you would know it before you got there. People confuse warped rotors with uneven material deposits.

The felt difference is:
If warped you would feel the vibration in the steering wheel and under your braking foot all the time.
If its uneven material deposits (hot spots) you will feel pedal pulsation mostly when hot or while braking, or at a slow roll coming to a stop or all of the mentioned according to the severity or quantity of hot spots..

Run, do not walk, pass go, or collect $200.00 away from that place.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Highway robbery going on there. Replacing rotors and pads are very easy. It takes about the same amount of time to jack the car up and pull the tire off as it does to take 4 bolts out and replace. If your stuck on OEM, then buy them online for cheaper than the stealership will charge and either do them yourself or have a friend do them thats done it before.

This is an example of why people don't go to the dealership often for work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for all of the input and information is incredibly helpful :D Would anybody happen to have any suggestions on websites for OEM equipment?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,492 Posts
You are not a left foot braker are you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Highway robbery going on there. Replacing rotors and pads are very easy. It takes about the same amount of time to jack the car up and pull the tire off as it does to take 4 bolts out and replace. If your stuck on OEM, then buy them online for cheaper than the stealership will charge and either do them yourself or have a friend do them thats done it before.

This is an example of why people don't go to the dealership often for work.
I’m sure there are better options than OEM parts. But for now while I’m still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty I’ll stick with it I don’t want to give them any reason to try to void anything if an issue does come up I’ve heard some pretty nasty stories about dealerships doing that. I’m already in touch with the few friends I have that would be able to help me,
You are not a left foot braker are you?

No I am not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
not OEM but just for reference, I have these on my R/T...as for labor not more than 1 hour /wheel for a slow mechanic...much better than stock and they don't rust...you can contact FCA to see if your warranty would be affected....I have a lifetime warranty and they told me it would not void..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3795273&cc=3435958&jsn=1234

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
When I traded in my Challenger it had 82,000 miles and still had the original brakes so yeah under 20,000 miles is really bad. I had a 2000 Ram that would only go 25,000 miles on pads .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The Charger is at 81,000 miles on original brakes just for reference.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts