Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Over the Place Deciding on Tires I would enjoy your words between these if you run or have ran them.

2013 R/T Plus RWD
245/45/R20 Factory Chrome Clads

Decisions Decisions?

I'm looking at:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

·
Registered
781 Posts
Any of your three listed are #1 quality choices. My new set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires were delivered from Discount Tire last Friday. As soon as this rain clears up I'll get them on. We put a set on my last Charger (2013 R/T) last year. They're GRRRRREAT! Can't wait to get those crap firestone firehawks off!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 255/45R20 on my 18 R/T w STP and they are a fantastic tire ,traction is great,very quiet. they feel more like a performance tire than an A/S.. ride is firm . I am impressed at how hard they can be pushed in the corners. will definitely buy them again.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's are phenom!! I also run Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S's and those are great tires, great grip but does produce more noise when wearing past 60%. Blizzak WS's for dedicated snow as those are hands down the BEST for those conditions..always have been!

Reactions: RamAirV1 and gapi

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any of your three listed are #1 quality choices. My new set of Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires were delivered from Discount Tire last Friday. As soon as this rain clears up I'll get them on.
Please let us know how you like them. Pics of the rim protection would be great.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh, I like them! The set on the 2013 have a solid year (300-500) miles a week and they are still great, wet or dry. They replaced a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires that lasted over 50,000 miles. The new ones are for my 2017. And I have Cooper Discoverer HT Plus on my Ram. I have O complaints!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I hear ya. I have Cooper Zeon RS3AS on my 2015 R/T with 40000 miles and 3/32 left. So I'm getting very close to needing new ones. I dont know whether to get the new Zeon RS3G1, the RS3AS replacement, or try out the Michelin Pilot Super Sport AS3+. The Coopers have been great. But I wonder if I can get a more comfortable ride out of the Michelins. I commute 75 miles round trip a day. So comfort is beginning to be my number one priority.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hear ya. I have Cooper Zeon RS3AS on my 2015 R/T with 40000 miles and 3/32 left. So I'm getting very close to needing new ones. I dont know whether to get the new Zeon RS3G1, the RS3AS replacement, or try out the Michelin Pilot Super Sport AS3+. The Coopers have been great. But I wonder if I can get a more comfortable ride out of the Michelins. I commute 75 miles round trip a day. So comfort is beginning to be my number one priority.
I have the Michelin's and while I do love them they have a firm ride . more of a HP tire than an A/S

·
Registered
948 Posts
And it looks like I will be buying tires sooner than later as I discovered yesterday
20190402_191435.jpg
My right front

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
My vote is for the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's. I've had 2 sets of them and love them. And the photo above looks like an alignment issue, so take care of that too once you decide.

Reactions: mofogo

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, somethings amiss there.

The shop I use includes alignment and it its good no charge, and each time after going through the trouble to it checks out good.

When I purchased the car it had Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings' and they were the quietest smoothest tire I ever had, I replaced them with two attempts and couldn't get a good set that would balance or ride without vibration above 55mph. Road forced balanced too. So I dare not venture there again.

We put Michelin Premier A/S (18") on and it was a done deal all the way to the wear bars performing tire but no where near 60k, but a painless warranty got me another set $400.00 OTD and I can live with that each time and would but no 20" in this tire. Sigh...

RS3-G1 is on the list.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
My personal experience has been awesome with Cooper Tires. I've put Cooper Zeon LTZ's on trucks, Cooper Discoverer's on trucks, I've put the CS4 on 2 different cars, and have used the Cooper Zeon RS-3A's and RS-G1's on my SRT. All tires have been awesome for me, zero wear issues and have lasted at least if not longer than warranty. I always have been lucky to buy them on sale, so they haven't cost must either compared to other brands. They go on sale alot.

In a heart beat, I'd buy them again when needed.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update, I put General G-MAX AS-05s' on today and am very pleased.
I was worried from reading up-sizing wheels, in my case from 18" to 20" being harsher, and yet going from the Michelin Premier A/S touring to an ultra performance A/S tire.
They ride very nice, and road imperfections are not as felt or heard as much as the Premiers'.
I posses an analog dB meter and have been taking readings before changing tires and there is no change @66dB. If any tires are not contributing much to it.

Handling has not been pushed until the tires ooze a bit but I can already tell its improved. And negotiating the round about near my home I am perceiving less body roll.

Thanks Guys

my_rt_on_20-inchers041419.jpg

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Just curious, what made you decide on the General's? You didn't list them on your original "short list."

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reviews can drive one crazy, but I sifted through them and came out choosing the Generals.
Tire Rack review listings on the (245/45/20) provided filters to see Dodge car owners containing several Chargers liking them.
Tire Rack video test favored them a little over the Cooper.
I like the wider or flatter contact patch.
I like the rim protection attempt.
45 Day trial.
$70.00 Rebate.

Drove them more today and last night and no longer fear loosing comfort going from 18 to 20 inch wheels. The Michelin Premier A/S is a touring tire and I expected the G-MAX to be rougher but its not. Its also quieter going over imperfections but no louder at cruise.
I'm trying to figure out how I can loose body roll and still be as comfortable as with the Michelin's.

This may be the same for comparing any Ultra Perf A/S against a touring tire but on long high speed flat sweepers near me these tires are precise compared to the Michelin's needing to be constantly corrected as in pulling the wheel a little harder and harder throughout the same turn at the same speed.

Reactions: RamAirV1 and mofogo

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've decided on Firehawk Indy 500s in 275/40R20. Exact same diameter as 245/45R20.
Firestone will do it for $860 out the door.

My favorite local dodge dealer has a brand new Hunter roadforce machine and said they would price match.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts