Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I've got several questions about modifying my 5.7L now that I have the income to actually start modding the car. First, some background. I have a 2013 Charger R/T Max. I bought the car from my cousin who purchased it from Enterprise after it was retired from their rental fleet with 9,000 miles on it. He drove it daily, even in the oilfield as he had no other option. The car has had a rough life, I will not lie. When I got the car, it was kinda slouchy. It had 82,000 miles on it, with all of its service work done as it should have been. It got beat by half a car length against my buddy's 2013 R/T Max with the exact same specifications as my own. We tried three times, even switching drivers and going another three times, my car got whipped everytime.

It just seems so sluggish. The throttle response is just not there. When I floor it, it hesitates and finally will get up and go. I really feel like I'm in a boat (pun intended). I've checked everything my 19 year old brain knows to check. I've checked for codes. No codes. I replaced the spark plugs at 90,000 miles... still sluggish. Coil packs haven't been touched. Had the transmission serviced by the dealer at 100,000 miles. Tried to reprogram the throttle learning... Still sluggish... I'm afraid to tune on it because I'm scared there is an underlying problem I am overlooking.

I want to put a cold-air intake on the car and see what that does. I have a factory air box right now with a K&N drop-in air filter. The car has its factory cats and resonators. I chopped the mid-mufflers out. I'd like to get BBKs shorty-headers and straight-pipe the car from the factory cats back. I don't daily drive this car anymore, it's my weekend toy.

I'm asking all of the 5.7L veterans to chime in and maybe steer me in the right direction. The dealer tells me there's nothing wrong, but I'm certain there is somewhere. What modifications could I make or do to possibly wake this thing up again? I've got about $1500 to spend on my first round of modifications.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It could be something as simple as that your throttle body needs to be cleaned. I got this car as my first car and kind of felt the same way that it was kinda sluggish, but then I went up against my friends 2013 Daytona and I beat him pretty well, but in your case of losing to your friends 2013, Max do both of you have the same rear gear ratio? I can't remember what comes on the max. I have the 3.91 gearing that was offered only on the Mopar 11 and my friend has the 3.06 rear gearing so it could just be that you have the lower gearing which I believe is 2.56? I'm not certain on that number. I would look into finding out your gear ratio and then to cleaning the throttle body which all you have to do is pull the intake off and then disconnect the throttle body. With the money you have, I would look into getting some better rear gears and then you will need a custom tune or a bigger throttle body and a custom tune.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The fuel injectors probably need cleaning out, as well as the throttle body. Check to ensure proper air flow is going into the intake (ie check from air filter on through the throttle body and into the intake,) also check MAF sensor as that might be the culprit (causing the hesitation). Also, always remember that the car needs to 'breathe' properly in order to produce faster response, meaning the exhaust needs to be properly functioning...I would highly advise checking everything over first to see if anything needs to be replaced/taken care of before adding additional stuff...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Good advice above, proper maintenance, MAF could be dirty, throttle body could need cleaned, Injectors could need properly cleaned and i don't mean stp injector cleaning. Gears could be the 2.65's. 3.06's would be better and the 3.91's would really put some pep in her step but will cost you some mpg.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I'm afraid to tune on it because I'm scared there is an underlying problem I am overlooking.
I would not be afraid of a tune that's done correctly. First check the maintenance items suggested by the other forum members. It's always good to check the basic operation of the engine prior to tuning.
If you get an email custom tune from an experienced tuner they will not go radical on the tune and jeopardize reliability. I have a HemiFever tune and the process was to send Sean Powell the 91-octane canned tune I had installed (DiabloSport). He returned a custom tune file based on my canned tune. I then performed some data logging while driving the car and sent the log files to Sean. He analyzed the logs and sent me an updated tune. We went through this process a few times until the tune was dialed-in.

The difference between the custom tune, canned tune and factory tune is very noticeable.

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Default.asp

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input. I think I'm going to check all those maintenance items and then put the cold-air intake on and see what happens then. I'm still rocking the factory airbox. My exhaust setup is factory manifolds, factory cats, pipe, and then the resonators. I'm wondering if the engine is trying to push out more air it can breathe in.

What do you guys recommend for cleaning injectors and cleaning the throttle body? I know for the throttle body to come off I have to undo the harness and then take the airbox out of the car. TB should just unbolt from the intake manifold then. I definitely want to invest in a custom tune but I feel that's a job for after I put headers on the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What do you guys recommend for cleaning injectors and cleaning the throttle body? I know for the throttle body to come off I have to undo the harness and then take the airbox out of the car. TB should just unbolt from the intake manifold then. I definitely want to invest in a custom tune but I feel that's a job for after I put headers on the car.
They sell throttle body cleaner. Should be available at any auto parts store or maybe even Walmart. That's what I used when I cleaned mine

·
Registered
172 Posts
With 100,000 miles or higher it could also be possible your factory catalytic converters are showing their age and beginning to clog up.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would get the full fuel system service which includes removing and cleaning the throttle body and pressure cleaning the injectors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts