Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the grocery store today and saw a nice black Charger (2019 or 2020) and stuck around to hear the car start up. The owner came out and went back to the liquor store so I pulled up next to his car and waited to ask his some questions. When he came back I started a conversation with him, Mopar owners are the friendliest people when you ask them about their cars, and asked him if he regretted not getting the 6.4L Charger. He said he loved the 5.7L and had no regrets. I asked him about his tires if they were 245's and he told me he had 275's with no issues. I've been told there would be issues and now I know different. To my point! I waited for him to start his car to leave and he did. What a disappointment! His car was quiet when it started. I could hear it running but the deep, throaty exhaust sound I heard on my test drive 5.7L was markedly different from this sound. Is it because this was a R/T, and not a Daytona, that would make it that much quieter? I wouldn't think it would. I'm confused with the sound difference.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The active exhaust baffles open up when you cold start it but his car was probably already warmed up? Are you sure you don’t want to get a Mustang GT? They are loud.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm no expert on Daytonas, but I'm pretty sure they include a Mopar CAI, which does make the car sound more aggressive when accelerating/ at WOT. Other than that, I believe the active exhaust is the same in the RTs and Daytonas. Plus, like BilletAG said, you may be comparing a cold start to a warmed-up start?

Reactions: Florida Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The active exhaust baffles open up when you cold start it but his car was probably already warmed up? Are you sure you don’t want to get a Mustang GT? They are loud.
Already warmed up? Must have been downright hot! lol The car I test drove was still pretty throaty after the drive. This one sounded like a Buick more than a Mopar. :) Out of curiosity, would that be from having the car in ECO mode?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mustang GT? That was the first car I looked at and the first I dismissed for only one reason, getting in and out. I have a disc issue and the more even the entry and exit the better for me. The Mustang is too much down and in then up and out. Not good for a back issue. The Charger is far more comfortable for seating and entry/exit. My dream car was a Saleen S302! I once felt one passing me before I even saw it passing me. That's a power-plant! I know it's only a 5L with a 3" exhaust but what a car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no expert on Daytonas, but I'm pretty sure they include a Mopar CAI, which does make the car sound more aggressive when accelerating/ at WOT. Other than that, I believe the active exhaust is the same in the RTs and Daytonas. Plus, like BilletAG said, you may be comparing a cold start to a warmed-up start?
If that's the case there is a huge difference between them, in this instance at least.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe he drives it in Sport Mode, or did it for you.
This was many years back, that's how long I've loved this car. He wasn't punching it either, just cruising by me on the highway. Back then it was probably a 3" Flowmaster exhaust. They were in high demand then. Don't know if they had adaptive exhaust back in the 1990's to have a sport mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts