Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about the "residual glow" given off by LED interior lights, so my questions are:
How long does the glow last? (minutes? hours? days?)
How bright is the glow? (5,10.15,20,% of full brightness)
Is it annoying? (I live in a dark "country" area and any light is noticeable)
Any "cure" for this glowing problem? (beside staying with stock lighting)
"IF" you have installed these LEDs on your interior would you do it again? (despite the glow)
Any experiments done with "bleed" resistors? (to stop the glow)
Does any NOT have the glowing problem?

The reason I ask about these LEDs is because I would like to do this "mod"... but I don't want to spend $60 on a product I would NOT be happy with.
Please post comments (pro/con) about these LEDs being used for interior lighting.

I cannot figure this glowing problem out because, I use a LED flashlight on a daily basis and there is never a "after glow" when I shut it off.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have been reading about the "residual glow" given off by LED interior lights, so my questions are:
How long does the glow last? (minutes? hours? days?)

the glow is on the whole time the car is running.

How bright is the glow? (5,10.15,20,% of full brightness)

the light emitted is not bright at all; you won't be distracted by it and your passengers may never notice.

Is it annoying? (I live in a dark "country" area and any light is noticeable)

the light is not annoying, but rather provides almost a calming effect.

Any "cure" for this glowing problem? (beside staying with stock lighting)
"IF" you have installed these LEDs on your interior would you do it again? (despite the glow)

I have had blue LEDs for about three years now and I will certainly do it again.

Any experiments done with "bleed" resistors? (to stop the glow)
Does any NOT have the glowing problem?

The reason I ask about these LEDs is because I would like to do this "mod"... but I don't want to spend $60 on a product I would NOT be happy with.

I purchased the complete interior kit which includes map lights, rear handle lights, etc. The only ones that glow are the rear lights by the oh shit handles. Other than that, you will prob never notice.

Please post comments (pro/con) about these LEDs being used for interior lighting.

I cannot figure this glowing problem out because, I use a LED flashlight on a daily basis and there is never a "after glow" when I shut it off.
you will not regret upgrading/changing your interior lights. what color are you thinking about?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I have them and the only glow I get are from the rear lights above the back door. My front map lights dont glow. I have blue and it doesnt bother me at all. The glow is very dim

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the 6-chip front and back LED interiors from AAC. The lights in the back stay dim while the car itself is running, however it's barely noticeable except when it's pitch black outside. Mine do not continue to glow when the vehicle is shut off. You won't even notice the glow in the back unless you're sitting back there and looking for it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have them and the only glow I get are from the rear lights above the back door. My front map lights dont glow. I have blue and it doesnt bother me at all. The glow is very dim

yup, what he said...

I can tell you that after "camping" without a tent <long story...some other time> the glow only lasts about 15 mins, and it's VERY minimal. barely notice them at all, and actually, since LED don't use much power, i think it looks cool with a slight glow in the backseat area.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have red 3-chip from AAC and have no problems with them. If there is any residual glow I haven't notice it. I'll pay closer attention next time I'm out driving.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I had the white three chip in my other car and now amber in my new car and they both emitted the glow but it is no bother at all. Can barely tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts