Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Charger R/T - Billet Silver - Bone Stock…
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this car since mid March and in that time twice it has given P0456. It did it once in April one day and I bought a bluetooth scan tool to see what the light was and that was it. I decided to clear it to see if it would come back and a few days ago after weeks and weeks of driving it did.

Now the strange thing is when I scanned it the first time there was also the P1521 incorrect oil weight pending DTC which I didn't think much of it as I didn't and still don't know how long pending codes are kept around for and when that would've been from.

Fast-forward to now and I get P0456 again and I go to clear it again to see if there's going to be any pattern as to when it decides to come on and that pending P1521 is there again. This time it's there after an oil change I had just a week ago. Again, I don't know how long a pending code would sit in the memory for or if it's repeatedly coming and going so I don't know if that was from the old oil or the pressure sensor is borked or if something else is wrong.

As for the P0456, does anyone know what is most likely? I often it is the ESIM or its seal but I would almost expect something like that to be more consistent rather than go for almost 2 months without recurring.

The car runs and drives like a dream anyway so I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
P0456 is a code for a small leak in the Evap System. Problem could be the Evap Purge solenoid, ESIM switch or a small leak in the Evap Purge System. I too would expect the problem to be more consistent if it was a leak in the system. It could be intermittent if it's the purge solenoid or ESIM switch due to temp/weather and how much fuel is in the tank.

Heat is transferred from operating the vehicle and ambient conditions into the fuel tank during normal operation. When the ignition is turned Off, and the EVAP system is sealed, a change in the fuel tank vapor temperature occurs; which results in corresponding pressure changes in the fuel tank. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the fuel tank pressure sensor to monitor fuel tank pressure changes. The PCM also monitors the Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Switch and P0456 is logged if the ESIM switch does not close within a calibrated time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had this car since mid March and in that time twice it has given P0456. It did it once in April one day and I bought a bluetooth scan tool to see what the light was and that was it. I decided to clear it to see if it would come back and a few days ago after weeks and weeks of driving it did.

Now the strange thing is when I scanned it the first time there was also the P1521 incorrect oil weight pending DTC which I didn't think much of it as I didn't and still don't know how long pending codes are kept around for and when that would've been from.

Fast-forward to now and I get P0456 again and I go to clear it again to see if there's going to be any pattern as to when it decides to come on and that pending P1521 is there again. This time it's there after an oil change I had just a week ago. Again, I don't know how long a pending code would sit in the memory for or if it's repeatedly coming and going so I don't know if that was from the old oil or the pressure sensor is borked or if something else is wrong.

As for the P0456, does anyone know what is most likely? I often it is the ESIM or its seal but I would almost expect something like that to be more consistent rather than go for almost 2 months without recurring.

The car runs and drives like a dream anyway so I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it.
Hi Nick,
Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We're happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 3 of 3 Posts