Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone a quick 3 points.
I’ve been doing so much research trying to decide in getting a road and track to get around srt power or should I just splurge more on an SRT8 initially use my diablo for a canned 93 tune and leave it be until I can afford to do more?

Right now the price difference I’m finding is $7k from the R&T and a SRT8 which has 15k miles less btw.

Also everyone seems to be basically trying to convert their 345 to a 392 anyways.
Seeing everyone recommend a 392 cam or comp 270, intake manifold/injectors/fuel rail, larger throttle body, and longtubes.
Around how much would that route cost me? Because I’m stuck between going a used whipple or procharger or going the NA route which would also set up a better foundation for boost later along with forged drop ins.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
5.7 in the stock form is better for boost than the 6.4. But the 6.4 will give you 100hp extra right out of the gate. If you've not driven one yet, don't or that will be all you think about till you get one.

I'm not one to do engine mods so the SRT is the best bang for the buck, but if your one that wants to spend money to make the 5.7 as good as or better than the 6.4L then that would be the obvious choice. It's not just about the motor either. Remember, brakes transmission, rear end are all upgraded from the R/T hemi's. So when making changes to the 5.7, thats great but you have to consider other things too or they'll break in a shorter amount of time.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm old school...I've always built mine up as it's personally rewarding to me and I'm a modder....that and building rat rods w/your dad when you're a kid will do that to you lol!

Plus, the 5.7 is streetable for daily use, but done right can make Hellcat #'s and then some....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve basically modified everything on my SE and honestly it becomes a headache when things that can go wrong,do. Start making new noises or whatever. But I mean either hemi would have a lot less miles then I have now for peace of mind.
The R&T has the 3.06 gears which I believe the SRT has too. And I already have brembos so I’m okay on that too. I didn’t know there was differences in transmissions for the 5 speeds

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you looking to buy and trying to decide which one to get? If you can afford it go with the srt. You’ll be happier in the long run and won’t be “chasing srt numbers.” I myself was looking for a lower payment and enjoy adding my own touch. So I went with the rt. If you’re already doubting you’ll like the rt then go for the srt and never look back. Chances are if you get the rt you’ll get the srt itch again later down the road.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It depends on which model years you're looking at. Modifying the 2015+ Hemi requires a unlocked PCM along with the DiabloSport tuner. This makes the starting price for tuning more expensive.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Seems to me that changing the tune on a PCM can be critical and not an that easy for a backyard mechanic nowadays? I would be concerned about how long my car would be down and question whether I am sacrificing dependability if I made major changes unless I had a good shop like HHP, who could stand behind it, do the work. Mistakes on these cars can be expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts