Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in having a cam installed in my 19 Charger RT. I've been hearing various things as what I need and what I don't need. Can i install without getting headers, a new PCM and a tune?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
You can install the cam without installing headers. However, headers are typically installed along with a cam for two main reasons: headers will allow the cam to perform better due to improved exhaust flow and it's easier to install headers while the engine is apart for the cam install. Based on the profile of the cam, you need to determine if the valvetrain (lifters, valve springs) need to be upgraded to match the cam profile. Also determine if you are going to perform a MDS delete and replace the MDS lifters with non-MDS lifters ... and leave the MDS solenoids installed or replace the MDS solenoids with MDS plugs. Either way, a custom tune is needed for the cam and the MDS disable or MDS delete. Custom tune is also needed for the headers if you install long tubes. Although a custom tune is not required for shorty headers a custom tune will benefit/improve the performance of the shorties. A custom tune on a 2019 5.7L Hemi requires a new (unlocked) PCM. The tuning device (e.g. Diablosport) can not reflash the locked factory PCM; so you need the unlocked PCM in order to install the custom tune.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would contact HHP for your engine mods. If you swap the cam you are going to need a new PCM, tuner and if you are that far into a set of used SRT manifolds are much cheaper and almost as much HP as shortie headers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts