Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This story was aired on all Massachusetts news Channels and on CNN.
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/15731400/detail.html

A tanker truck carrying thousands of gallons of jet fuel crashed on top of at least three other vehicles on the Interstate 91 near Chicopee, Massachusetts. The accident caused a huge fiery explosion and burn injuries to the tanker driver, but luckily no deaths.

The jet fuel tanker was cut off by a Subaru, which he tried to avoid, but hit another car, which caused his truck to jack-knife and the tank to dislodge and roll down the embankment, where it exploded. Passer-bys jumped out their cars to help those involved in the crash.

I-91 was closed for hours in both directions. Clean-up took over 5 hours. Warning signs of this accident were posted as far South as Hartford, CT to keep traffic away, but many commuters were stuck.

This happened Friday morning of 28 March, at about 9:30 AM right down the street from where I live. I was just headed out to take my car for an oil change. Very sad situation.

My son shot this video:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I saw a bit of this on CNN, but didn't realize it was carrying jet fuel and had been cut off by another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I was watching it on CNN while I was at the Washington Dulles Airport today. Crazy scene! It could have been so much worse than it was!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Damn Subaru drivers, I saw another one cut in front of your son, it must be the other guy's brother or something.

Amazing no one was killed.

Dave...

·
Registered
164 Posts
The driver of the truck died at the hospital. God be with him and his family.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The driver of the truck died at the hospital. God be with him and his family.
Yes, the driver died later in the hospital. I found this extremely sad, but found solice in the fact that those who tried so hard to resuce him and the driver's own courage to jump through the flames, at least provided him a few extra hours to see his loved ones one last time (ugh... so sad!!!).

I was told by a reliable source: The truck actually was transporting gasoline and fuel not Jet Fuel as first reported. He loaded the truck at 9:06 at the Mobile terminal just down from the MSP barracks. Trooper [~] was 5 seconds behind the accident and was the first on the scene. He's now is the lead investigator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts