Dodge Charger Forum banner

Just had LSD, 3.06 rear-end installed....

14K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Hedges1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Just had the Mopar Lsd, 3.06 gears, rear-end upgrade installed on my R/T w/ R/T pack. I think I may have have my expectations to high, cuz I feel only a slight difference, even with the 93 CAI Predator tune. Do the new gears need a break-in time before I will notice a real difference, or is that just wishful thinking. Also, I have the old rear-end if anyone wants it for free. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
The stock gear ratio for my R/T (09) was 2.65. I didn't realize it when I bought the car, but I figure since I'll be adding more mods over time, I should probably upgrade the rear-end and get the SRT8 gears. I do notice a slight difference in acceleration; it seems to pull harder on inclines, and at higher speeds, so I don't think I wasted my money. Next, I'm installing a complete exhaust system, shorty headers, hf cats, and cat-back, then custom tune.

#10 ·
The gear ratio change is all about the butt dyno. I guess it really depends on how you drive and how families you are with the characteristics of your car. I drive mine pretty hard, and the change (while subtle) is defiantly there. Acceleration was defiantly faster, and gear changes became more noticeable.

One thing I would ask you to try out is cruise at 57-60 MPH and see if you can hear a whine coming from the LSD. It only happens for me at those speeds.

#12 ·
i am surprised you didnt notice the swap more. I have heard that the R/T guys enjoy allot out of this, in fact I was planning on doing this later this month with my cam install.

#13 ·
I went from 3.46 to 3.91 in my goat and while it was subtle, it's noticeable.

I think some people think that its going to be like a 100 shot or something lol :).

#14 ·
I do notice a little better acceleration. Also, what I notice is a different feel to the handling of the car. I don't know what it is, maybe the extra grip of the 2 wheels, but the car seems not to handle the turns as well as it used to, and the steering feels less responsive. Weird?

#16 ·
My Daytona came stock with a 2.82 open, while many R/Ts have only a 2.65. Going from a 2.82 to a 3.09 is about a 10% increase in torque multiplication, which while not huge, should make a seat of the pants difference, and maybe a couple 1/10ths difference in the quarter. For someone with a 2.65, that's a 15% increase. If nothing else, the LSD should be noticeably better for traction. Only so much the EBD can do to compensate for an open rear.

The 3.73 LSD Track Pak aftermarket rear would offer about a 25% increase over a 2.82, but would hurt gas mileage and top end on older 5 speed auto cars, but maybe not as bad on the 8 speeds. OK for a stoplight racer, or someone who doesn't do a lot of freeway driving. I know Mancini sells the 3.09, 3.73, and 3.91 complete rears. As was mentioned, kind of wished they offered in a 3.23 and 3.55 ratio as well as complete assemblies.

#17 ·
2.68 open stock on a 2018 r/t.. swapped for a 3.09 lsd and it pulls way better.. totally happy.. i was told that with a new rear end there should be a 500 mile break in where you take it kinda easy before you start romping on it.. i did that and i now have a couple thousand miles with no issues.. and romp all the time 😁

#18 ·
Now dump the oil and continue to enjoy.
With a posi and less difference in traction between the two tires traction control will be less involved . Less timing will be pulled, no braking applied to manage the difference and better acceleration will happen. Touch the TC button for partial off mode and really reap the fun.

#19 ·
Now dump the oil and continue to enjoy.
With a posi and less difference in traction between the two tires traction control will be less involved . Less timing will be pulled, no braking applied to manage the difference and better acceleration will happen. Touch the TC button for partial off mode and really reap the fun.
On top of that, I added a Diablo tune, which acted like TC was partially off, even in default ON mode. When OFF, felt like it was more like 75% - 100% off! :cool: Happy tire roasting. Buy stock in a tire company.😂

#20 ·
100% off will light up your display with all warnings, ABS/BRAKE/TC OFF/TC/ and braking is no fun, the pump will activate easily and rear braks will lock. Once was enough for me.

#21 ·
I converted my 215mm to Wavetrac posi and partial off is just right for me. I have a Tazer that allows the long press full off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.