Just hit 29000 mile and got a P0305 code

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT8 General Discussion' started by Starion, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Starion

Starion New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I just hit 29000 miles and pulling out of my driveway the cel came on and it was P0305. Cylinder 5 misfire. I cleared the code and drove a short distance to the store and noticed the hemi tick was louder and didn't go away after it warmed up and the idle was a little rough. The cel didn't come back during the drive. When I started it the next morning the cel was back on with the same code. I took it to the dealer and they called me this afternoon saying that they didn't find any electrical cause and that they were going to have their engine mechanic look at it. Anybody else had this issue? I didn't find a whole lot when searching for it. I am also having them look at a rear suspension issue that feels like it is in sport mode when in normal mode. I have already had the front struts replaced due to the left front one clunking on mild bumps. This is my 3rd charger and my first SRT, seems like a lot of issues when I'm not even at 30K miles.

Update:

I talked to the dealer today and they told me that the #5 cylinder failed the compression test and that the exhaust port is not opening at full travel. They said that they will need to replace the camshaft. So looks like it had nothing to do with the fuel injectors. For those that asked, I have been only putting Shell Vpower 91 octane gas in it. I guess I am lucky that it is still covered under warranty. I am not to happy that they have to tear the engine apart though, but not much I can do about it. I won't find out about the rear strut issue until they get the engine finished.

Anyone else had this issue?

2. JetTech

JetTech Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    I'm glad you are still covered under warranty but I can say that issue seems quite odd. For them to say the cylinder failed the compression test but yet the exhaust port is not opening at full travel is confusing to say the least. Please keep us updated.

3. Starion

Starion New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I talked to the dealership today and asked what the cause of the failure was and here is what they sent me.

"Hello Steven,

Technician said When the exhaust valve on that cylinder doesn’t open it allows parts to come in contact with the cam that aren’t supposed to. The metal debris from the failure gets in the intake manifold and damages it internally. The exhaust valve on cylinder #5 wasn’t opening all the way causing all of the other damage. "

They told me that the intake manifold will have to be replaced as well due to the failure in cylinder #5. So, I am waiting for the manifold to come in. I didn't get an answer as to why the exhaust valve failed. I will try and talk to the mechanic when I go back down there.

4. JetTech

JetTech Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    To me that's like saying because the intake valve didn't open all of the way we need to change your rear tires. This just gets stranger and stranger. I'm still subscribed though and curious to what is actually going on. I would get some pics of this "debris" and all of the damage to the intake manifold when they open it up.

5. Starion

Starion New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    It has been a while since they did the repair, lately I have been having a loud tapping noise coming from the engine after it is at normal operating temp.After taking it to the dealer this is what they told me;

Here’s the note from the engine technician,

ENGINE NOISE SOUNDS TO BE NORMAL. REMOVED LEFT

AND RIGHT VALE COVERS TO INSPECT VALVE TRAIN.

INSPECT FOR PUSH RODS RESTRICTED. CHECKED FOR

BROKEN ROCKER ARMS OR ROCKER SHAFT PEDESTOLS

BROKEN. ALL LOOKS NORMAL. CHECKED FOR PROPER

VALVE LASH. REMOVED ALL ROCKER SHAFT RETAINING

BOLTS AND REMOVED ASSEMLY PLANT BOLT RETAINER

CLIPS. REASSEMBLE ENGINE. ROAD TEST.

I fail to see how a loud tapping noise that wasn't there before is normal. The car is only at 30500 miles. Seems like this engine is having a lot of problems. I would expect an SRT to have better standards.

I contacted the dealer with my concerns and they are having their Shop foreman check it.

I will try and keep this updated

6. JetTech

JetTech Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    I'm missing too many pieces of this puzzle because it didn't make sense in the first place what the dealership was telling you. I'm still subscribed and still very interested in the final outcome. I hope they get it fixed for you soon.

7. Starion

Starion New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT8
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black