Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Searched online for the right forum and it sounds like I might have found it! We just bought a highly original '68 R/T with it's factory 426. Everything is fantastic on this car. We're over-the-moon with this car's lineage and condition!
Under the hood, there's one thing that we've questioned that I haven't found the answer to yet...
The negative ground from the battery has body color 'overspray' paint on it, a LOT of it. It almost appears too obvious to have been a mistake.
Can anyone comment on whether this paint on the ground wire was a real, original, factory issued way of rolling out the car? or... is it overspray that shouldn't be there?
Your replies are certainly welcome and appreciated!
Thank you

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,570 Posts
Welcome from AZ. I would say that is not correct the cars were painted before the wiring was installed. The only thing I can think of that maybe it was the result of touch up at the factory because of a flaw or damage otherwise it could have done during a repaint.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It is definitely not correct! It will have engine color on much of the negative cable and rear ground strap. The front one was attached under the carb return spring bracket and the rear rear ground strap was also bolted up when the motor was painted. If you have an original, unrestored Hemi car and plan on taking it apart, I would document every paint marking, decal, nut and bolt very closely with photos. If it’s a running, original, unrestored car, I might consider not restoring it other than mechanically. Do you have any original paperwork with the car? The factory broadcast sheet is typically tucked in the springs under the back seat. The body fender tag is also a very important piece to keep safe even if it is rusty. Can you post a photo of the fender tag? Here’s a photo of the last one I restored.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
It is definitely correct! The front one was attached under the carb return spring bracket and the rear rear ground strap was also bolted up when the motor was painted. If you have an original, unrestored Hemi car and plan on taking it apart, I would document every paint marking, decal, nut and bolt very closely with photos. If it’s a running, original, unrestored car, I might consider not restoring it other than mechanically. Do you have any original paperwork with the car? The factory broadcast sheet is typically tucked in the springs under the back seat. The body fender tag is also a very important piece to keep safe even if it is rusty. Here’s a photo of the last one I restored. View attachment 118722 View attachment 118723 View attachment 118724
He said it was body color not engine color. Did you read the post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for your replies! Especially BilletAG.
My mistake, I wrote 'body color' and I should have written block color!
Makes me feel much better! It definitely appears to be too much to not be intentional... I just wasn't sure.
Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Looks like a nice restoration.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I guess block color is what I thought you meant. It would be nice to know more about your car? Is it an original Hemi car? Any chance you can post a photo of your fender tag?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts