Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 super 44s to replace my stock mufflers. I was wondering is there a difference in buying a whole kit (American thunder) or just replacing the mufflers. Don’t the R/Ts have performance exhaust already? I looked under the car and it has the x-piping already. I was just going to add the 44s and remove the resos. Trying to save a lil cash.

·
Registered
940 Posts
stock exhaust is 2.25", most aftermarket are 2.5"....and really won't make much difference.

actually, the cheapest solution is to remove the stock muffers, replace with straight pipe and leave the factory resonators

Mid Muffler Delete revs on 2011 Dodge Charger R/T awd - YouTube

the stock exhaust flows very well, and most cat backs on these don't add much power, maybe 5-10 max....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K, thanks! I just like the sound of flowmasters. Since there's really no difference in performance i'll just stick with the stock pipes. The car in the vid sounded "Nasty" (in a good way), mad props to him. Dang, too bad i already bought the 44s.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
stock exhaust is 2.25", most aftermarket are 2.5"....and really won't make much difference.

actually, the cheapest solution is to remove the stock muffers, replace with straight pipe and leave the factory resonators

Mid Muffler Delete revs on 2011 Dodge Charger R/T awd - YouTube

the stock exhaust flows very well, and most cat backs on these don't add much power, maybe 5-10 max....
Hate to disagree, but I have to on the straight pipes set up. Yes, it's cheap, but DON'T straight pipe your RT because you will definitely lose backpressure, which = loss in torque.

You can just weld the two mufflers in instead of putting an entire system and you'll be fine FOR NOW. But once tuning comes out, to get the maximum out of an exhaust system you'll want the full system for increased air flow.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A full American thunder exhaust includes mandrel bent stainless piping and stainless mufflers.

Otherwise, installing the super 44s and removing the resonators would be the same thing. But would be prone to rust which shouldn't be a problem if you wash the car underneath in the salt belt.

Stock diameter is 2.25" on the V6 AFAIK.

·
Registered
940 Posts
A full American thunder exhaust includes mandrel bent stainless piping and stainless mufflers.

Otherwise, installing the super 44s and removing the resonators would be the same thing. But would be prone to rust which shouldn't be a problem if you wash the car underneath in the salt belt.

Stock diameter is 2.25" on the V6 AFAIK.
stock pipes are also mandrel bent stainless....as long as the replacement mufflers are stainless and welded in using stainless wire, you won't have a excessive corrosion problem

and the "lack of backpressure hurting low end torque" is a myth. if it wasn't, then ALL aftermarket cat-back systems would reduce torque.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I wanted to comment on the backpressure thing.

If you lose "too much" backpressure, your torque curve will shift to a higher RPM. If you want to keep a lower torque band, then you can get a mildly restrictive muffler.

I've been through millions of mufflers on my vehicles and have noticed a loss of low end torque when going to straight pipes or a straight through muffler with no restriction. This was on vehicles with 2.5" piping.

The 2.25" piping should keep the pressure where it should be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i bought magnaflows and left on my resonators for a few months. just today had the resonators removed and it is so much better sound wise. did not replace any pipes also to save and not disappointed at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
also do not try and go on you tube. the audio on most is not what reflects in person. trial an error but u will not be disappointed!! i was going to post the difference but it doesnt compare. look at it this way... replace mufflers and remove resonators...$225 max ( if u find a good shop) and if ur not satisfied then invest in bigger plumbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts