Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know I got my green Halos Friday and was going to install this weekend, well I fried 3 of the 4 inverters and blew out the blinker halos in both the headlights:i_redface::mad: I had one of my neighbors help and he tried to run the 4 remaining halos(2 big ones on each headlight) with the lone inverter but its not enough for all 4 halos, they got dim/bright at diff times and was a dissapointing/aggravating weekend overall:shakehead:
I was thinking of buying 2 inverters from AAC, they have 'em for $39.99 what do you guys think? Opinions are gladly taken:TU:
Pics of handy work:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Damn...that sucks bro. I don't know sh*t about wiring HALOs so hopefully somebody chimes in.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Damn bro you had a rough one.

First off how the heck did you fry the Invertors?

What brand Halo's did you get?

How did you blow the Halo's themselves?

You've got a ton of wiring going on that you could probably simplify. You should only need one main Ground Wire and One main Power then you could just tap into them for each Halo.

When all said and done your gona need to use Liquid Electrical tape on every connection you have plus some on the invertors where the wires come out of. Any bit of water will make the Invertors fry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I installed my halos, I just hooked them directly into the running lights (brown wire) using no inverters. I've had them in there for over a month and haven't seen a problem with flickering or dimming....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn bro you had a rough one.

First off how the heck did you fry the Invertors?

What brand Halo's did you get?

How did you blow the Halo's themselves?

You've got a ton of wiring going on that you could probably simplify. You should only need one main Ground Wire and One main Power then you could just tap into them for each Halo.

When all said and done your gona need to use Liquid Electrical tape on every connection you have plus some on the invertors where the wires come out of. Any bit of water will make the Invertors fry.
1)I'm not sure how I fried the inverters, there was a clicking noise and then a poof! and then smoke.
2)I bought them off a guy from ebay, they're supposed to be AAC halos and they were already installed in the headlights. It was a great price and I just couldn't pass it up so if I'm screwed, I didn't spend a lot of money on them anyway.
3)I'm guessing when the inverters fried it did something to the halos? I checked them when I received them and there wasn't any visible damage, now there's cracks on both the blinker halos. They're glass and the left one seemed to shatter and a piece of glass broke off.
Thanks for the response and help, I'm stuck now till the weekend to try and re-do everything:shakehead:

When I installed my halos, I just hooked them directly into the running lights (brown wire) using no inverters. I've had them in there for over a month and haven't seen a problem with flickering or dimming....
I was planning on doing that but I'm not sure how legal they are here in the Dallas are driving around with them. I'm sure you all have seen the video of that motorcyclist getting clubbed by the DPD,lol I'll pass on getting clubbed thank you lol

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Damn you had a bad weekend. Not for sure what to do because I went with the LED halos over the CCFL. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Not sure How they are hooked up but are you sure you had the -, + right??

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
sorry for your luck. that is why i am waiting until I can hook up with someone who will do this be responsible for the work !!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you had a bad weekend. Not for sure what to do because I went with the LED halos over the CCFL. Good luck.
Well I heard LED halos are better but I really couldn't pass up the price these halos were going for, if I don't get these to work I'll def be going LED's

Not sure How they are hooked up but are you sure you had the -, + right??
I WAS sure,lol

Would the AAC inverters be a good idea to replace them with? I'm thinking of getting he 2for $39.99 and that might fix everything, right? since I only have that 1 inverter trying to run all the halos

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If the ccfls are cracked/broken then they will need to be replaced. One nice thing is the headlights have already been opened, so they will be easier to open a second time. Like Slayer123 said, you can consolidate many of those wires.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, in fear of screwing up even more is there anywhere in the Dallas area where somebody could fix this mess :4-dontknow: or should I just forget these and buy LED Halos

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
do the inverters have a CCFL logo? if u really want to, go ahead and buy the other inverters or u can tap into the lights? wat color did u get? im pretty sure if they're not blue or red u can have them on. but i'd perfer to be able to turn mine on n off. imo

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do the inverters have a CCFL logo? if u really want to, go ahead and buy the other inverters or u can tap into the lights? wat color did u get? im pretty sure if they're not blue or red u can have them on. but i'd perfer to be able to turn mine on n off. imo
Ok, so they are CCFL Oracle power inverters! I'm going to buy two inverters and hopefuly that's enough to power the halos. I already added a switch on the bottom part of the dash opposite the cig lighter, not sure if green is legal so I didn't want to tap in the lights. Thanks man

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hook up with Fred in Dallas Fatsy's Garage screen name onefast1 I'm sure he has some inverters and does quality work.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hook up with Fred in Dallas Fatsy's Garage screen name onefast1 I'm sure he has some inverters and does quality work.

X2!!! ^-------- Good info!!!!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Damn that sucks... Thats why I waited almost a year and finally found a Certified AAC installer 1 hour away from my house. He did a great job and didn't charge much for all the work involved in what he did. Wired switches and a remote for duals and did the rear CFCL halos. You can check it out here- I say spend the cheese and have it done right.

http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109748

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I would go ahead and get them from AAC cause then they will be guaranteed for life!

Just so you know this is why you should wire your Halos to a seperate switch and then run an inline fuse when wired up! This way you blow the fuse before you blow and inverters or Halos. Best preventive maintenance I ever did!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would go ahead and get them from AAC cause then they will be guaranteed for life!

Just so you know this is why you should wire your Halos to a seperate switch and then run an inline fuse when wired up! This way you blow the fuse before you blow and inverters or Halos. Best preventive maintenance I ever did!
I did, they came in today.
I already wired them to a separate switch and running an inline fuse, install as soon as I get home! Learned the hard way I guess :shakehead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts