Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Staffing since 2008
20,667 Posts
Those definately arent legal. Looks just like the lightbar in the back of police cruisers.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Legal?

Those definately arent legal. Looks just like the lightbar in the back of police cruisers.

You may be right!

Of course, you would NEVER EVER drive around with them on in normal traffic - just to show off.

However, I sure can see where these would come in handy if one were to ever break down - lets say on the HWY in the fast lane, or worse, in a bad spot on a very dark road. I've seen some of these COPS/High Impact Court TV television shows were drivers just slam into cars that broke down, even in the emergeny lane.

These LEDs are hardly visible if you don't turn them on. In the catalog, they are indeed labled "emergency lights" but this may refer to emergency vehicles.... I don't know. However, I know just theee person to ask, and I will do that; then post back the answer.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd Like Them But...

I can see where they might come in handy to warn others should your car ever be involved in an accident in a bad spot, or on a very dark road. However, the answer landed on my desk this morning...

According to Massachusetts law:
Illegal and a $35 fine. No rotating/flashing or oscillating lights. Exceptions are for emergency vehicles and plows.

:-((

·
Staffing since 2008
20,667 Posts
thats what i figured. Most states have similar laws, but state that they cannot be on while the vehicle is in motion, lol. I got pulled over on post for bluish green lights on my windshield washer sprayers. Turns out they cant be on, unless the car is not in motion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Actually in the state of Illinois (if I am correct), amber lights are legal to have and use in any vehicle. You cannot use or have amy other color though. I've used the amber lights several times when I had my 2000 Expedition. I bought them primarily for working security as a volunteer for activities. I by no means had to have a permit for them and it didn;t matter what kind of amber lights (LED or the usual). You may still want to check your local Laws, but I know they are legal here. Like I said, you cannot have Red, Blue, Green, and you will need to show proof of working for an emergency response team or agency to even get them. You can have white, amber, or a combination of those two, but that's it.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dangerous Situations Happen... You Know?

Ron_380 gave an example:
"I was driving in the fast lane on the highway in busy traffic, when the car in front of me had the right front tire wander off by itself! I immediately slowed down to give her more room and hit my 4-ways. She did an EXCELLENT job of keeping the car straight and just bringing it to a stop, still in the left lane. I angled my car into the left lane to "encourage" people to move right, then called it in... much longer story that this, but you get the idea." [End Quote]

----------------------------
It would been devastating if someone came along and slammed into your rear. It happens ALL the time, yoiu know? Watch this never ending Highway Accident and you'll know why I am in favor of amber lights for emergencies in my Charger:
http://break.com/index/badaccident7.html?matchid=Njk0MzM=?matchid=Njk0MzM=

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
In CT you can APPLY to have emergency lights, but that doesn't mean they will grant it. If I wanted a red/blue light I would fill out the app. and wait for approval. I believe amber lights don't need an application and most other color can't e used while in motion but can be installed and turned on when the vehicle is parked.
Always a loop hole in the laws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts