Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Lets talk about the Scat Pack 392. So I want to make a list of all the mod's that work and the ones that don't.

I don't wanna leave any stone un turned, if it makes more power then let's talk about it. Cost comes into play for the person who is buying it so judgement is left to the user. Example if a CAI only makes 5-10 HP tops and 5-7 LBS torque, that's still a gain, it's not taking power away. If it cost way more then those Gains are worth to you, well express it but let's be clean, a gain is a gain and from what I'm learning there isn't much to get out of the 6.4 aside of Boosting it.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think the obvious is a custom tune. This seems to work on any car the best. They make stock engines so safe, it's easy to gain more.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The problem with the Hemi's is that the bolt on's do not do much. The Mustangs and Camaro's can add a CAI and a 91 tune and get over 30 hp gains. American Muscle and Steeda have tunes that will give the Mustang a 40 hp gain. CAI's Throttle Bodies, catback exhaust all give you less than 5-8 hp and when dealing with a 6.4L it is nothing you will notice because you are making 485 hp. When you look at Cams, the gains are there but at a cost of low end torque which is what you really need to get the charger moving off the line. The Cams that do not decrease the low end torque that much do not give you much HP gains at the top. Plus the cost of Cam installation and parts have gone through the roof. Back in 2013 I got a custom cam, MDS delete, PSI springs, rods/retainers, Tune and installation for a little less than $3000. Today that has gone up to $5000 Plus. Gains are anywhere from 35 hp to 75 hp. But like said the gains from the cams making more than 50 hp will rob you of torque down low.

That is the reason IMO that most just go with a Blower. For the 392, keep it at or below 6 lbs with a good tune and get good gas. Make sure you fuel system is not relying on a boost-a-pump. Drop in pistons and rods will set you back around $3000, installation included but well worth it for more boost and not damaging your engine.

When I was experimenting with bolt on's back in 2013 and 2014, Mike at OST Dyno was my tuner and we did a boat load of dyno's. It was hard to even see a gain on the dyno with CAI's, TB's and HF cats alone. When we added a tune to the previous mentioned bolt on's we only realized a 20 hp gain from stock. Max bolt on's. That equates to a 5 % gain in horsepower. Not your seat of the pants thrill.

CAI: 0-5 hp
Throttle body without cam upgrade: 0-5 hp
High Flow Cats: 5-10 hp
Catback exhaust: 0
Longtubes without Cam and good tune: 15-25 hp
These are not cumulative. If you put on all the above, you can not add them together to get an expected increase of max hp.

Reactions: dmantis
1 - 4 of 4 Posts