Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

New to the forum and looking for guidance. Im looking to upgrade the sound (increase the volume only) in my 2011 R/T which is equipped with the factory Alpine system. I've been to nearly every car audio store on Long Island, and keep getting conflicting information. Most tell me I need to change the speakers and add an amp. I've also been told that I dont need to change the speakers, but need to just add a new sub (in addition to the factory sub) and add another amp. Even though I tell them I am not looking to add more bass, they insist that adding a sub will solve my issue.

Then there are the places that tell me that in addition to the new speakers/amp, it is imperative that I add a processor/crossover which is the only way to integrate the new speakers to the factory system. Some people have told me that I can avoid the processor altogether (they KNOW how to get around the system).

Needless to say, I'm extremely confused. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the western part of the state. Sorry, but I can't help you with your audio question. I have the factory Beats system with the 552 watt amp. I have plenty of volume (to my taste).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All

New to the forum and looking for guidance. Im looking to upgrade the sound (increase the volume only) in my 2011 R/T which is equipped with the factory Alpine system. I've been to nearly every car audio store on Long Island, and keep getting conflicting information. Most tell me I need to change the speakers and add an amp. I've also been told that I dont need to change the speakers, but need to just add a new sub (in addition to the factory sub) and add another amp. Even though I tell them I am not looking to add more bass, they insist that adding a sub will solve my issue.

Then there are the places that tell me that in addition to the new speakers/amp, it is imperative that I add a processor/crossover which is the only way to integrate the new speakers to the factory system. Some people have told me that I can avoid the processor altogether (they KNOW how to get around the system).

Needless to say, I'm extremely confused. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
I just got a SRT 2015 in November. I have a Harmon Kardon system. I’m not satisfied with the volume either. I checked out a few stereo shops. Initially, the shop staff gave me the same suggestions as you received. However, I believe I would start with in cabin speakers without an amp then work my way up( if necessary) . I don’t want subs either but increase in volume .

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,569 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

Reactions: Snakeyed

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,389 Posts
Welcome to the Z from Atlanta!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a SRT 2015 in November. I have a Harmon Kardon system. I’m not satisfied with the volume either. I checked out a few stereo shops. Initially, the shop staff gave me the same suggestions as you received. However, I believe I would start with in cabin speakers without an amp then work my way up( if necessary) . I don’t want subs either but increase in volume .
I think I'll change the speakers and add the amp (from what I hear and have read, changing the speakers alone isn't enough to produce the volume i'm looking for and that will definitely require an additional amp). My volume right now is pretty loud - some of these guys have even told me its loud enough. I just want it louder! lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
To get louder is going to be the route of more amplification...and as long as the speakers are rated for that power and can handle it, amplification is going to be key to your issue!

BTW, JDP_SRT2015, hit me up if you get rid of your Harmon's!! Def will pick those up from you to upgrade my Beats speakers! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To get louder is going to be the route of more amplification...and as long as the speakers are rated for that power and can handle it, amplification is going to be key to your issue!

BTW, JDP_SRT2015, hit me up if you get rid of your Harmon's!! Def will pick those up from you to upgrade my Beats speakers! :)
Thanks! Trying to choose between Alpines, JL or Rockford speakers. The conflicting information Ive been getting the most is whether or not I actually need this processor. Know anything about that?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Not sure about the processor, as I have the Beats 552 watt uconnect sys and it's plenty fine for me..but have had great experiences with Polk, JL, JBL, and MB Quart speakers in many different vehicles, and they were able to handle the power I was pushing to them..sometimes in excess of 335 per speaker!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about the processor, as I have the Beats 552 watt uconnect sys and it's plenty fine for me..but have had great experiences with Polk, JL, JBL, and MB Quart speakers in many different vehicles, and they were able to handle the power I was pushing to them..sometimes in excess of 335 per speaker!
Ok gotcha...cool! i dont know either - I have the uconnect too, and some of these salespeople tell me I need the processor in order to integrate the new speakers/amp to the factory system. i dont think it matters which system you have, be it beats, alpine or whatever, they are saying that with everything being digital, a processor is required to integrate to the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I'll change the speakers and add the amp (from what I hear and have read, changing the speakers alone isn't enough to produce the volume i'm looking for and that will definitely require an additional amp). My volume right now is pretty loud - some of these guys have even told me its loud enough. I just want it louder! lol
Ok Sounds like the best idea lol

·
Registered
9 Posts

Lol my Harmons are door and rear speakers not subs . That’s what you want? Because I’m trying to blow through them to reach my next set of speakers . Lol
What speakers are in your doors and rear? I know you have beats subs. But you think Harmons are better than the beats speakers?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lol my Harmons are door and rear speakers not subs . That’s what you want? Because I’m trying to blow through them to reach my next set of speakers . Lol
What speakers are in your doors and rear? I know you have beats subs. But you think Harmons are better than the beats speakers?
Exactly what I was looking for! The Beats sub in the trunk, and the rear deck is fine, but the others in the doors, and front dash, as well as rear deck I want to change to the Harmons as to my ears are better sounding and better attenuated than the Beats speakers...again, IMO...
There's a reason Harmons are put into a lot of luxury cars nowadays, and beats have been discontinued! Don't get me wrong, they sound phenomenal, just to me, the Harmons sound more rich, and full bodied sound...

That and the beats (actual speakers) when you turn it up and there is a good amount of low-end hitting to them, they rattle a bit, and annoys the piss out of me, plus gives me an excuse to Dynomat everything!

So yeah, let me know what you want to do with them, preferably before you blow them lol...much appreciated brother!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I went back to another place yesterday and the guy there is recommending I also add a new sub..smh....
Yeah...they're trying to up-sale you...
If you don't want a new sub or is not too much of a concern of yours, stick to your guns!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts