Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I currently am looking into upgrading from my 11 RT to a '19 RT or Scat. I am seeing prices around 34k which is about 10k under MSRP for the RTs. Not super familiar with dealerships and what that price entails. Seems like most of these cars have been on their lot for quite some time. Just afraid when I get there those prices are going to be incentives I don't qualify for or aren't realistic. My wife and I have credit near 800 and income to match so that shouldn't be an issue.

Just curious if anyone has recently purchased an RT or Scat and what they paid. I am in Northern VA if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi there Pat-illac!!! Welcome to the site!!

First, apologies in advance that VA will require you to deface the front of your Charger with a nasty license plate mount.

Second, as for R/T vs SP there are a quite a few points to consider, two of the top 5, looks and sound, are basically the same now. If the 5.7L engine is okay for you, go with the R/T. Purchase price, gas, and maintenance will all be cheaper. Test drive the two models to decide.

Third, you will have to do your research and see what a Charger optioned like you want should cost with incentives from Dodge. The dealers may be including the WW2 vet, boy scout, college student, AARP, and USAA discounts in their Amazing $8000 off deal. But a few minutes on a phone call to the dealership talking with the internet sales dept and they can detail what all of that 8k is. Don't waste any time in the dealership to get that info.

I bought my Scat about 2 years ago at the end of July, but "the game" is always the same.
$48,960 was the sticker, $43,5xx was my out the door price. I had similar financials as you. At the time Chrysler had a 0% - 60mon financing + cash back incentive that I used. For you, it appears you have the following choices through Chrysler for 2019 models:
  1. 0.0% APR for 36 months
  2. 0.9% APR for 48 months
  3. 1.9% APR for 60 months
  4. 2.9% APR for 72 months
Or get your own financing at your CU or whatnot.

When people post a "Is this a good deal" thread, quite often a dealership in Virginia is mentioned as having the best advertised deals in the south east. It was Koons Dodge on Chains Bridge Rd in Vienna. DON'T GO THERE. Dealerrater.com has nightmare stories of how horrible they are. Ourisman Dodge has decent reviews. Their website has Scat Packs listed with 8 and 9k discounts(Keep the Vet/Astronaut/AARP deal in mind). Heritage Dodge has great reviews so check them out.

At the time of my purchase, the model I wanted could only be found at a dealership 2 hours away and one about 6hrs away. I figured invoice price - holdback - rebates and decided on a price I would pay with no regrets for both cars. I did some dealerrater searches for sales staff reviews and called them. After introductions and confirming the vehicles were available I gave the salesman my info and used an excuse to get off the phone. Later in the week, I called both back and said "I'm a serious buyer, I am ready to buy now, I'm talking with another dealer on the same car, whoever gives me the best out the door price first, gets my check." I had the winning dealer send me pic of a sales workup sheet for my car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I have found 3 cars. All are the RT Daytonas. I know the purest don't like they are offering that package in an RT but hard to pass up that look and these options. I have contacted the dealership and have gotten what is entailed in the price and have been quoted and out the door price with their fees and taxes. We should qualify for the 1.9% which helps. One of the cars are an hour or so north and the other is about an hour and half south. My plan was similar to yours. Glad to see I was on the right track. Was planning on letting them both know where I need to be and will drive either North or South depending on who can give me the best price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like you have it figured out, but I've also noticed that you have to take people's reports online of what they paid with a grain of salt.
I don't know how many people I've see claim to have paid less than $40k for a "fully loaded" Scat Pack in forums and facebook, but then they post a picture of a base model Scat Pack with no options, and also reveal that they are paying 9% interest.
Scat Pack or 5.7L R/T only you can decide. For me I wasn't interested in buying they car without a 392, but if this is going to be your daily driver remember to factor in the 93 octane gas and $100+ plus full synthetic oil changes if you go Scat Pack. You'll also be buying more tires, even if you don't drive like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If your not getting 5-7k off the sticker, your not doing it right.

Reactions: OutlawStar65X

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Lustine also will deal with you. I shopped around for the best price I could find for a Jeep GC in writing and then bought it back to my local dealer (Safford in Warrenton) to see if they could do a little better. They did but I was lucky they had the Jeep I wanted. I have 2 cars and a truck that I get serviced there and would have felt bad if I bought a new car somewhere else. I also looked at a Daytona R/T 5.7, Battleship gray, sunroof and HK for under $33K at Koons that was very tempting but did not pursue it. I can tell you if you go into Koons and test drive a car, get a price and walk out, they will call you two or three times and offer you a better deal. We priced a Jeep, got their quote in writing and then told them thanks but we were going to look around some more. We got several calls and emails virtually begging us to come back. The salesman called the same day we left and said they could do better if we wanted to come back. I declined. I got a call the next day from the sales manager and she said they would give us such a better price that we couldn’t refuse. By then we already closed the deal with Safford. We still kept getting emails for a couple more days. End of the month is a good time to shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Safford Warrenton is my local dealer as well. They have a couple of options I am looking at. I have had good experiences with them in the past.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Go ahead and get a price from Koons or Lustine and then go in to Safford. Tell them you prefer to deal locally if they can help you on the price. Ask for Carlos in sales and tell him John Dallain refered you to him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your not getting 5-7k off the sticker, your not doing it right.
Right now they are listing new RT's around 34k. 2 of the Daytona's are $34,xxx and one is $36,xxx. Unfortunately for me neither of them are local and no one wants to get on the phone with me. They just want me to come down and talk.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
FYI, I did buy a new Daytona R/T in 2013 from Lustine’s. Sticker was just under $40K. I got it for $34,000 plus tags, taxes and a 3yr/100,000 mile extended warranty but I never needed to use the extended warranty. If you are concerned about an extended warranty, it comes with a 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper and a 5yr/60,000 mile engine and drivetrain. That covers you pretty well but you will still be able to get an extended warranty from FCA later if you want one. You don’t have to do it when you first buy the car. That way you can keep your payments down because you don’t have to finance it with the car.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Right now they are listing new RT's around 34k. 2 of the Daytona's are $34,xxx and one is $36,xxx. Unfortunately for me neither of them are local and no one wants to get on the phone with me. They just want me to come down and talk.
Then your talking to the wrong dealership. Those prices don't sound bad though.. I'm betting they sticker for close to 40k at least but if it was me, call the sales manager and not a sales person. I've done most of my deals over the phone in my life and only because dealerships close to me won't deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So just an update. Basically walked out of the one dealership as they really didn't budge off the price. But they wouldn't leave me alone. The have it listed for $36,xxx plus fees. Looks like I am going to be able to get them out the door under 35k. Sticker is 43k. That's before my trade.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Pat, get Carmax to give you an offer on your trade. At least you will have an option to fall back on when the dealer lowballs you on its value. There look to be a few in the Va/Md area

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its all about what matters to you the most! Don't just settle. Go test drive both the RT and the scat. Then think about what options mean most to you. Then pull the trigger. The Dodge Power Dollars right now is cray! I got my 19 Daytona 392 for a little over 37K and got 31K for trade. I got a steal!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts