Looking to buy a Charger

Discussion in 'Prospective Buyers - Question and Answer Forum' started by mjt29, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:49 AM.

1. mjt29

mjt29 New Member

Vehicle:
    Looking
    Vehicle Year:
    Classic
    Trim?:
    SE
    Hello good folks. I'm looking to buy a new car in the coming year and I'm starting my research. My beloved Crown Victoria has served me well for 14 years, but it's time for something newer. If Ford was still making this car, I would buy another one. Sadly they are not.

Not many cars interest me on the market. The Charger is one car, that I really like outside the luxury range of cars. I'm a buy a car and drive it into the ground type of guy, so reliability is important to me.

I am interested in a Dodge Pursuit as well, but finding one I can afford with low miles is another story.

Can you fine folks fill me in on 2015 and on years for the Charger. Pro's vs Con. Reliability? V6 vs V8? I'm not a hobbiest, but I take care of my vehicles.

Is the V6 in these cars a good engine, or should really do what I must for the Hemi? I want something I can count on. Maybe the Charger isn't it, but I really need to know.

I would really appreciate any input.

2. tacamo01

tacamo01 Active Member Site Supporter Level 2 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R/T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    The 2015 and up Chargers have the new 8 speed ZF transmission which helps acceleration in both the V6 and V8. IMO both are very reliable for the price you pay. I do not think you can find a better 4 door sedan with as many standard features for the price. Whether you go with a V6 or get the Hemi depends on how much power you want. The V6 is good for about 6.1 secs to 60. The 5.7L will take 5.1 and the 6.4 will get you there in 4.2 seconds. My wife has the V6 and gets great gas mileage. Around 33 mpg on the highway. The Hemi's tend to get around 25 depending on how you drive. Around town mpg are about what is advertised. I have the 2013 Charger and the wife has the 13 300S and neither car has been in for warranty work. (I did have a shifter problem that was corrected but I think it was my fault)

(Back in the 60's and 70's, a 440 6pack Challenger was slower than the new V6's we have today.)

3. JCE

JCE Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    The 3.6L Pentastar V6 is a fantastic engine when mated to the 8spd transmission. My 2014 SE 3.6 had it and the 8spd transmission and I loved it. Very solid engine and it only lacked low-end grunt off the line. Now in my R/T the 8spd transmission is even better with the added power. The easiest thing to ask yourself are these two things...

1. Are you going to be content with only having ~300hp doing a legitimate 0-60mph in 6.3-6.6 seconds on the street? Because that's what the 3.6L V6 in the Charger will get you. It is quick but not fast.
    2. Does your budget safely allow the V8?

If the answer to question #2 is yes then by all means get the V8. It'll most likely be more reliable down the road seeing as this platform has been around since 2003 (?) and has been very well refined since. Even taking the power/speed/acceleration out of the occasion the everyday drivability of my 5.7 R/T is staggering. It is effortless and I have very minimal throttle I have to use anywhere I go. Plus with cruise control and the 4cyl mode I can legitimately get 30-40mpg on the highway depending on my speed. That was the same as my 3.6. Around town not in bumper to bumper traffic I can get an honest 18-20mpg in mixed driving.

If the answer to #1 is yes then that would be a good option for you to save some serious $$$ and spend that money on your spouse to make them happy. ;) Just understand the aftermarket for the 3.6 Pentastar is almost nonexistent so squeezing more power out of it will be very costly. I weighed the pros and cons of this very aforementioned situation and decided it was cheaper to trade my '14 3.6 in for a brand new 5.7 R/T even only 2.5 years later. I came in to the '14 thinking I'd be satisfied and I was...for a while. After about a year I realized my mistake and lusted for the V8 every day of my life until I traded him in. It is just that much better.

If your budget allows test drive the 3.6 FIRST and then the 5.7. If you drive the 5.7 first you'll really not want to get the 3.6 because the power and drivability between them is a complete 180ยบ from each other. Trust me.

4. mjt29

mjt29 New Member

Vehicle:
    Looking
    Vehicle Year:
    Classic
    Trim?:
    SE
    Thanks for the input, of course I want the V8 but they are considerably more expensive. The V6 models are readily available in a decent price range.

5. tacamo01

tacamo01 Active Member Site Supporter Level 2 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R/T
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    Daytona
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    If you can wait until the 2018 models come out the new 2018 Charger SXT has an option for the Scat Pack/SRT exterior looks. All of it including the ram air hood!!!!

6. JCE

JCE Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel Metallic
    When the 2018 models come out and they clearance the 2017 models I suggest getting a 2017 R/T on clearance. The price will be awesome. That's what I just did when the 2016's went on clearance. I paid $28k for my 2016 R/T 3 months ago. Think about it. :)

Let us know what you get OP!

7. mjt29

mjt29 New Member

Vehicle:
    Looking
    Vehicle Year:
    Classic
    Trim?:
    SE
    I'm looking at getting something used, so I would appreciate some tips on that front.