Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got an interesting one for you..

I've been having some issues with my '13 Pursuit with the 5.7l while driving uphill.

Basically what's happening is the engine totally loses power but stays running. The power loss usually comes in 3 parts. First is the complete loss of acceleration lasting for about 4-7 seconds. (Scan tool confirms that throttle position falls to zero as this happens)

2nd is a short burst of acceleration lasting about 1/2 to 1 second.

3rd is another fall to zero throttle. This one ranges in duration from about 5 seconds on up to 10 seconds. After this it's back to normal. The times at which this happens is totally unpredictable..

It has happened when the engine is hot, cold, full tank, near empty tank.. I've tried a few bottles of Heet over the course of a few fillups and nothing has helped.

There are no DTCs activating when this happens other than an occasional P0741 that's probably more likely related to this and not the actual cause.

I've been hearing all kinds of stuff that it could be from a fuel pressure regulator or the fuel filter and even the throttle body..

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Does it do it only when the transmission is in full auto mode ("D") or also when in AutoStick mode (manual shifting)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't been able to test that. A couple months ago, the switch to turn autostick on and off stopped working on me. Haven't bothered to troubleshoot. As often as I used it, I wouldn't be surprised if I wore out the switch.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
When going uphill there will be more load put on the engine. The PCM will react to this increased load and adjust throttle position, etc ... but something is either interfering with the adjustments or the information being received from a sensor is wrong and affecting the adjustments. Are the engine RPMs following the same graph as the throttle position graph?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RPM values usually stay around the same as they were just before it starts. As the burst of power comes along, RPMs increase with the chart.
I'll add RPM readings to the next incident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a look at non-continuous monitors this morning on my way to work.. To my surprise, I've got misfires on 3 different cylinders. Gonna replace spark plugs after I'm off work and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the spark plugs swapped out yesterday afternoon. There were several fouled plugs, and she was sounding a lot better, but the issue persists. I'm stuck at this point.. Only things left to replace that could be involved is the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump.

With those both being expensive to replace, I'm open to any suggestions. I just don't want to have to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The PCM determines atmospheric air pressure from the MAP sensor input to determine basic fuel strategy (MAP = manifold absolute pressure). The PCM recognizes an abrupt increase in MAP pressure as a demand for increased engine output. Since the problem only happens when going uphill, with increased load on the engine, it's possible the MAP sensor/signal is involved somehow.
You may want to look at the Intake PIDs in your log to see how they correlate with the throttle position PIDs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a chance to add MAP to the charts. Here's a screenshot. Throttle position and MAP both drop as it occurs. It's a cheap part, so I may just replace it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a chance to add MAP to the charts. Here's a screenshot. Throttle position and MAP both drop as it occurs. It's a cheap part, so I may just replace it anyway.
Hello, any follow up on your issue? I have the exact same problem but without the second lose of power... happens on highway between 90 kmh and 105 kmh and also around 70kmh on small slopes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same issue as the OP. I replaced the MAP sensor this weekend and the car is still doing the same thing. Prior to changing the map sensor, I did replace the trans filter and fluid to see if that was the issue. Any other ideas to remedy the issue. The car is a 2013 Charger R/T Daytona with 65K miles. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2013 B6 Daytona Blue Charger Daytona
7 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '13 Daytona when using cruise control on a very hilly road, lots of ups and downs, on a very long pull uphill. I only travelled that route 3-4 times a year and it didn't always happen, but when it did it was always the same hill. The fourth or fifth time it happened she through a check engine light. I bought the Lifetime extended warranty so back to the dealer for diagnostics. The stored code was transmission overtorque, the condition was no longer occurring so they cleared the code and off I went. The condition and Check engine light recurred in late 2019. At first the prescribed repair was to replace the torque converter, until FCA intervened and ordered a tranny replacement instead. Apparently FCA felt there were issue with some of the '13 trannies and were getting replacements from a different mfr. My Daytona and two State Trooper cruisers were getting replacements but they were on backorder. Finally got the replacement and haven't noticed any repetition of the orignal problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts